What is recovery like after colon and rectum removal surgery?

Replies
Views
Gemd

I am a cancer warrior and have my full colon and rectum removal scheduled. I'm quite scared as the most surgery I ever had was a wisdom tooth removed. What is recovery typically like? I have little kiddos (early elementary age) and just moved very far away from friends and family (except kids and husband) so I'm scheduling people's visits to care for me post-op. So how long am I likely bedridden? How long where I will still need help to get out of bed and the like? When can I drive? When can life be where I don't need help...meaning I can cook for myself, walk around the neighborhood, clean the house, garden, cook without help or needing major help/reat? As I am normally a very busy stay-at-home mom. I don't want to get flights for family and end up sending them home before I should. Whew...I'm so very nervous.

Sasquatch

I haven't had my rectum removed yet, but when they did my colectomy, I was walking at the hospital the very next day. I had the surgery on a Tuesday afternoon, and went home Friday afternoon. There was a five-pound lifting restriction for a couple of weeks, and they didn't let me drive until that two weeks was up (after my first follow-up). I was back to work 4 weeks and 3 days after surgery. I did have to take it easy for a little while, but it didn't take long to recover. I'll let someone with the experience tell you about the rectum removal recovery. Don't be too nervous, doctors are good these days, besides, you have a whole website full of people who have taken their turn at this to lean on when you need it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

How far away is family and when did you see them last? You should be almost good to go. Some help would be nice but actual care for you not required. You should be able to care for yourself. So no heavy lifting, no chopping wood, no vacuuming, just take it easy. As for driving, their concern is that you may not be able to shoulder check fully. My biggest problem was that at first I used too thick of a pad on my bottom incision and it put pressure on it. A thinner pad saved me a lot of pain and discomfort.

Victor61

Hi. I had surgery on Monday and was up and walking the next day, albeit not very far. Each day, a bit more. I was home by Friday and waddled around the house for one month. I was much better by then, but it took one more month for full recovery. Every day, I added one small thing to my activity to help get stronger. It's not a small operation, but well worth it in the end. My surgery was in March. I've returned to a heavy job too. You will be fine. Just be patient. That was by far the hardest part. I wanted full recovery yesterday. Lol. Very best of luck, but you will be a star and shine.

mamatembo

I had sigmoid colon, rectum, and anus along with tubes and ovaries removed in September due to cancer, and a permanent colostomy was constructed. I was in the hospital for a week but up and walking slowly the day after surgery. However, I am an old gal of 78 years, so I would think you might well be up and around and home sooner than I. If there is a stoma nurse in your hospital, be sure to work with him/her as to how to handle your colostomy when you go home. The hospital gave me an air-filled cushion to sit on, which did help with the discomfort in the bottom. I could walk but couldn't stand up straight for several weeks due to a 6" incision and 3 holes being constructed in my belly. My biggest problem was the loss of 10 pounds following the surgery, and it took me about 6 months to regain my appetite and gain back the lost weight. Luckily for me, my husband took over the food shopping and cooking, so it allowed me to heal. Getting in and out of a vehicle was a little uncomfortable for several weeks also. (It can take up to 6 months for the anal area to completely heal), so just be careful when you sit down.

If you have young elementary kids, you might well need help with them for a week or two getting their meals, packing lunches, etc. But they can help also by straightening up their beds, lifting things too heavy for you to pick up or bend to get, carrying the laundry basket to where you need it, and so many other things.

You should do very well. Just be easy on yourself and let others help out for several weeks.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Raine061

You'll likely need more help with the house and kids than someone to take care of you. My surgery was in April and it took me a good 6 weeks until I was able to do much. But then I was very worn down from a Crohn's flare prior.

Are you having laparoscopic or open surgery? That will make a difference in recovery. You'll have a pain pump in the hospital and likely an NG tube for a couple of days. I didn't have unmanageable pain when I got home. After a few days, I started taking walks in the yard. I was driving in about 3 weeks and by 4 weeks took short trips to the store. All of which exhausted me but I'm a tad stubborn...

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Puppyluv56

I had my rectum removed and because I had a tumor grown into the vaginal wall and previous damage from radiation, I had to have parataneal removal with reconstruction. They took muscle from my stomach (six pack is now a 3 pack) lol. The permanent colostomy was done as well. I kept thinking there should have been more pain because the surgery was extremely complicated. My biggest problem was with all the additional equipment I had to carry around. I had a Foley catheter and drainage tubes on both sides of my abdomen. There was just no easy way to tote these things around. A true pain! They both came home with me and I had the catheter for a week and the drains for an extra week! I was allowed to drive after a month, but was off pain meds long before that.

Gemd

Sorry for the delayed reply. Surgery is on Sept 12. I have purposely eaten a lot so I can afford to lose some, as I'm thin to start with. I have family coming for a total of 3 weeks post-op. Everyone is 1,000 miles or more away but some are coming to help, thank God. I think it is laparoscopic? The doctor didn't say and I am not sure what makes them decide which one, but he said I would likely leave the hospital 4-7 days after. I have a post-op appointment about 12 days later. I hope I am in good shape for the car. I won't be driving, but will have a two-hour plus drive home.

xnine

Get a pillow, pad, or something for under your bum. If the seats recline, it might give more comfort. All the best.

Gemd

So I had my surgery Weds night and it's Saturday night. I can walk around slowly and not fully upright, kinda slouched. I can't walk too far but can walk and take myself to the restroom. I am on soft foods. I don't feel confident emptying and changing my ostomy yet. I might go home in 2 days. I still feel like I got hit by a truck so I'm in no condition to do much more than bed rest, sit in a chair, walk to the restroom or maybe walk to get water or a book to read. Catheter was out day one. Ostomy is super active at night, ugh. And noisy! Figured I would update my old post here with how I am newly post-op.

Gemd

Also, they went for my bum through my colon hole and will likely go back in a year for the finishing pieces and a Barbie butt.

Puppyluv56

Glad to hear your surgery went well! Hope your recovery goes as well! It takes time to build your stamina back up, but you will be back to your old self in a matter of weeks! Enjoy the rest and hope you have someone catering to you!

Puppyluv

Immarsh
Hi Gemd, you're successfully done with the first part of the recovery. You have the ostomy, you're getting up and around, able to eat, and are planning for the future... Time is your best friend!!!

Don't be in a big rush to be doing everything you think you should or need to do. Rely on your kids to help, get you things, and clean up their own messes. As a family, you're all in your recovery together. As for your noisy stoma, think of him/her as a newborn baby, with days and nights mixed up. Once you are moving around and eating more regularly, your digestive system will develop a new and different schedule. During the day....breakfast and lunch (lite meals) I have about a 4-hour turnaround.. Food in, food out. If I ate a lot the night before (too much fiber), sometimes it makes its way out during the night....or it "backs up and doesn't find its way out until after I eat in the morning. Some people don't eat past 5 or 6 o'clock, trying to control activity at night. With an ileostomy, it's difficult to get that control.
I have sleep apnea (and wear a CPAP machine), so I'm used to getting up at night. If needed, I do empty. I've had my ileostomy for over 50 years, since I was a kid of 15. Give yourself time to recover and test new foods to see how they affect you. I used to be able to eat almost anything, but with "age," raw veggies, and high fiber (nuts, skins on fruit...apples, etc.) can cause backups and even blockages. Some do's: Drink plenty of water....and even more if you think you drink enough. Make sure you chew your food well. If you can identify it when it comes out, you're not chewing enough. If you start having a very liquid output....be sure to replace what you're losing. It's easy to dehydrate. Some people can drink carbonated beverages, but I gave them up. It creates too much gas. Be careful with corn, beans, popcorn....Test small amounts if/when you do want to try them. Don't be afraid to start changing your own appliance. Make sure that the model you're using really works for you. Try to figure out when you are not active. For me, it's late at night....or early morning, before I've eaten... or 3-4 hours after a meal.. I think most people stand when they change, but when I had my surgery, I was in a back brace (for osteoporosis and a degenerative disc) and couldn't stand without the brace on for more than a year. So I changed laying down. I prepared all I needed at a bedside table....and had bowls of hot and cold water.... as well as the new wafer/pouch all set and ready to go. Expect some mishaps at the beginning.. Placing the wafer in the right place, around the stoma becomes second nature over time. I use the Convatec Moldable wafers, which means I don't have to cut an opening to size. Feel free to write or post if you have more questions...
Rosiesmom

Hi Gem,

Happy to hear you got through the surgery okay. It has been almost 5 years since mine. I had laparoscopic, robotic surgery for rectal cancer. This definitely sped up the recovery process. My rectum was sewn closed and, to be honest, that was the worst part. As healing progressed, the itch was uncomfortable. I used a gel pillow from Costco for sitting. I still use it on long car trips and international flights. As for dealing with the colostomy, it really becomes second nature quite quickly. I eat everything with the exception of nuts, seeds, and corn. As your body returns to a more normal rhythm, you will know what works best for your schedule. I personally try to avoid eating after 7pm. In the beginning, you will most likely use more pouches. I use the Coloplast 2-piece system, which works great for me. I average 2 pouches a day and change the base on average twice a week. Continue a good recovery and know we are all here for you. Sincerely, Gail aka Rosiesmom.

d