Opinions on Convatec and Hollister moldable wafers?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Axis308

Does anyone have any thoughts on the moldable wafers made by Convatec and Hollister? I have used the one from Convatec and I like them, but I have issues with the outside of the wafer sticking after a shower. I also do not care much for the bags. I love the Hollister products but haven't used the moldable wafers. Just wanting to get input before I ordered them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Hi Axis, I tried the Convatec a few years ago and it was one of the few leaks I have experienced while in public. I have not tried the others at this time but please let us know how they work. I have to cut mine and it is a pain. Good luck. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

I tried the one-piece by Convatec and it was a horrible experience. The poop would go under the water forcing it up and would have poop everywhere! I changed to the two-piece because I wanted to start to irrigate and found I love it! You can burp the gas if you need to without going to the bathroom (as long as you are in a private place) or in the toilet as you empty the bag. The flange and one pouch actually last me 6 days. That is better than any other except the Coloplast one-piece lasted 8 days the first time I used their sample but never that long again. I also use the Coloplast Y-shape strips that give you additional security and have not had one leak in several months! You can call them for samples. Get each company to send you their one-piece, their two-piece, the strips. Some are circular but I like the Y. They are really big and cover my entire abdominal area but I feel confident with them. I tried the moldable pouches at first and they always leaked. Then tried the precut 1" ones and they worked for a short time but my stoma changed and became a little oblong so I get a great fit with the one I have to cut! It is worth it to cut yourself. I do several at a time, one for the next change and one for my emergency kit in my purse! Good luck. You will find what works for you!

Puppyluv

Sasquatch

Call Hollister and ask for some samples before you buy them. They will be happy to send you a few of them to try. All of the manufacturers I've been in contact with have been quick to send samples. To get your business, it's a small price for them to pay, and you get some freebies out of the deal.

Puppyluv56

They usually send several of the same thing. Coloplast sends three. That really gives you a good idea of how they work. Just one could not really do it!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Sasquatch

That's usually what Hollister and Convatec do as well. I've never had anyone turn me down for samples, Hollister sent me several sets of samples while I was getting my insurance set up and never batted an eye. They were actually pretty good to me.

Luke

I tend to my husband's ostomy as the stoma is convex and has a low point - we use adhesive spray on both the wafer and his skin, a barrier ring on the skin around the stoma prior to wafer application, an oval convex barrier ring on the back side of the wafer - both are Adapt products. I end the application with three 1/2 moon Brava barrier strips over the outside of the wafer. It takes this much product to ensure no leakage for 3-4 days. My husband is very large and cannot see the stoma, and I swear his skin is made of silicone, so the paste we all tried at first instead of the adhesive and Adapt barriers were a disaster! Needless to say, he is counting the days till reversal. We are using two-piece moldable Hollister with filter - since developing this system, there have been no failures. We have local ostomy nurses who are a great source of trial product.

BeachBum61

I use the slims, they sit firm on my belly. Low profile.