Air Travel with an Ostomy: Tips for TSA Checkpoints and High Output

Replies
Views
newnormal

I haven't flown since I got my ileostomy. I used to love to fly, so easy and convenient. Now I am terrified. I have heard horror stories about going through TSA checkpoints with an ostomy. Knowing what it was like pre-ostomy, this makes me really apprehensive. So what is it like? What do I need to know? What do I need to do? I really want to get back in the air. I have an ileostomy that is high output, so that can be a challenge.

xnine

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=8557 There are more posts in the Collections under Travel and Ostomy.

Also, take twice the supplies you need.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

newnormal

Thank you xnine! I started reading some posts in the Traveling Ostomy section and I am already feeling more confident. Still learning to navigate this site, so that was a big help. Should I get a note from a doctor?

xnine

If you could get him to sign the travel certificate, that should be enough. Or maybe he has something else.

benisthebest

Hi guys

After I got my ileostomy, I came to the USA from Algeria.

I flew from Algeria to Qatar then to JFK New York then SeaTac. So no one stopped me or asked me about my stoma bag xx

Now I'm living with my brother

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
newnormal

Thanks Benisthebest, that is reassuring. That's a long trip!

I use stoma adhesive remover spray and skin guard spray. Will they let me take those on a plane?

Donleo

I went to Florida and they were very nice. They had me touch it and swabbed my hand for any residue of explosives. They also asked if I wanted to be checked in private. I said no, not necessary. It only took a minute. Don't worry.

Past Member

I have traveled extensively worldwide on long-haul flights with an ileostomy with no problems yet. Body scanners? No issues. Once they clock the ostomy bag, they just swab your hands. I have had the occasional pat-down (by female security staff), but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. I have never been questioned about it (except in the USA by TSA, and that was about 10 years ago and just a query by the guard who felt I was too young to have one!).

On a recent flight last month to the UK via Singapore from Sydney, I was just waved through all security points at each airport with not a worry (even Heathrow was a breeze, which surprised me, being kinda full-on chaos at the best of times).

Never taken a travel certificate and never had to explain the ostomy. I honestly believe no one is interested in anyone but themselves (including security staff!). When I'm traveling, I don't overthink things and just go with the flow. I even enjoy the long-haul flights. What better excuse to binge-watch TV/Movies for several hours!

If you have high output, try and get an aisle seat near the toilets. If I want to slow down output before a flight, I eat a bag of potato chips or pretzels beforehand. Even at 14-hour stretches, I usually only have to use the loo a couple of times. I also eat anything that is placed in front of me on the plane (I'm on holiday and I deserve it!). For me, it is better to eat and drink at regular intervals. Strangely enough, I empty the bag less often when I do so (on or off a plane).

Agree with xnine about doubling up on the supplies (and always put them in your cabin bag/s). I always have double what I think I will need and have never had to use the extras. It's better to be prepared for any eventuality. And they are quite light and don't add much extra weight to your bag. I'm a light traveler anyway and only use carry-on bags.

The sprays you use should be fine in the "approved liquids" ziploc bag you need for other (less than 100 ml) toiletries. That's for international travel though. I don't think it's needed for travel in your own country. I always have stomahesive powder in my supplies, and this hasn't been an issue.

Happy travels for wherever/whenever you decide to head off!

Cheers,

Jo :-)

aprangn

A note from your physician sometimes works. Get TSA PreCheck, it's definitely worth the investment and saves you lots of embarrassments when going through security.

JD90

When I had my colostomy and traveled, TSA only made me touch it with my hand and then they checked for explosive residue. No worries. Not sure about the adhesive spray so to ease any questions, you could always purchase adhesive remover wipes. That is what I used. I even flew with irrigation equipment and had no issues. Take some extra supplies in your carry-on just in case you need to make a change while in the air.

Good luck.

Papi

Yeah, I traveled home from Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic, they gave me a card. I handed it to the agent. The pat you scan your hands. Got back on a wheelchair and was on my way.

Past Member

I flew from Georgia to Texas and back right before I got mine reversed and it wasn't bad at all. The ATL TSA pulled me aside because their monitor was showing liquid (obviously) but I just explained what it was, showed it to them, and a lady very lightly patted me down around the area and I went on my way. Nothing at all happened on the way back, though.

dmo101

In 2 days, we are flying from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It's been 2 years since my last flight. The full-body scanner picks up the ostomy bag, even if it is empty of fluids. I was pulled out, patted down, and had my hands swiped for explosives. I printed a little blue medical card from UOA this time. I doubt it will make a difference. I will still get the pat down. It's better to be expecting it than to have the pat down sprung on you. Kinda sucks we have to be singled out. But hey, that's the way it is today.

RissyLauren

I totally understand your hesitancy.

For me, traveling has been a lot easier than I thought. I also heard those horror stories but thankfully never experienced them.

I am always flagged going through the X-ray machine. After which, I immediately tell them I have an ostomy. They usually then get a female TSA member to completely pat me down (in between legs also). Sometimes they ask if I want more privacy which I never feel I need. Then, they ask me to touch my ostomy bag and they'll wipe my hands and the TSA agents to ensure there's no bomb residue, etc. Then, you're good to go.

That's been my experience at least. Hope it helps. XOXO

funnygurl

If I am pulled over for a pat down, I quietly tell the person searching me that I have an ostomy. I have always found them to be polite and cooperative. Carry your supplies in your carry-on in case your checked luggage is lost. I take double the amount of supplies I normally use. If you are in a hot or humid climate, you can go through flanges much more quickly than normal.

christielou

I'm still on vacation. Had an 11-hour flight. TSA, no questions. I prayed for no leaks. Those BRs are so small. All went well. Travel back home soon. Hope all goes the same.

dmo101

Home!! I printed that little blue card and handed it to the TSA agent when I stepped into the full-body scanner. One airport gave me the complete pat down and hand wipe. The other airport just patted me twice and asked me to touch my bag. I think the little blue card helped.

newnormal

Thank you all!!! I printed out the UOAA blue card and laminated it.

Cylingpilot

Get TSA Precheck. Unless you're pulled for a random screening, you won't have to go through the imaging machine and have to explain that thing you're hiding below your belt. Even then, simply tell them you wear an intestinal ostomy, they'll ask to pat it and also ask if it will hurt. You'll laugh, they'll make you touch it outside your clothing and then swipe your hands for explosives. Not a huge deal, but Precheck will avoid all that most of the time.

As for output, watch your intake unless you want to be emptying in a small airliner lav. I avoid the germs whenever possible. I pilot small airplanes long distances (four hours sometimes) and as long as I'm careful, I can stretch it with my ileostomy....eat foods that are solid consistency.

csteven

I live in Malaysia and fly frequently to underdeveloped countries. When I fly out of non-capital cities in underdeveloped countries, I get inspected. Be prepared to lift your shirt in a public place. The inspectors aren't as sophisticated, trained, paid, or fluent in English as in the West. I had to show it when flying from Langkawi Island to Kuala Lumpur (domestic flight). I'm a male. That said, the inspector was very polite, apologized, and waved me through after I showed him. Malaysian people are very nice.