Successful Reversal: 6 Months Post-Surgery Update

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides updates and advice on living with an ostomy after successful reversal surgery, offering insights and support for those in similar situations.
JD90

It's been awhile since I have posted but wanted to give everyone an update on my reversal. I had my reversal done on 12/4/2018 and it's been a little over 6 months since the surgery. I am doing well and feeling better each day. The surgery was a success and I never had any problems with bowel control. At first, I was going 3-4 times in the morning but now I have 1-2 BM's in the morning before work and fine the rest of the day. Each day it seems like the BM's get a little easier. I am on a high fiber diet to keep things moving along each day. My only complaint is that a damn little internal hemorrhoid that must have never fully healed while I had my colostomy for 3 years is back and bleeds from time to time. Other than that, I am happy I went along with the surgery. The doc said it will take 6 - 8 months before I really feel well, so I just keep on trucking.

I hope my success story helps ease some minds that are considering having a reversal done. I read a lot of horror stories but I kept a positive mind and will continue to keep a positive mind and hope I feel even better after 8 months, 1 year, 2 years, and so on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

Congrats, if you're getting 1-2 per day, that is in the rockstar category my surgeon talked to me about when I was trying to decide which route to take. Modern medicine can do wonders these days!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Angelicamarie

That's great news!

Puppyluv56

Great news! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your positive news. Some ostomates have a chance to go back to pooing normally! They only hear the bad stuff! Yours sounds as if it is the best ever!

Continued good luck!

Puppyluv

Bagface

I also am one of the lucky ones who has had a successful reversal. Mine was done on February 5th. I don't have a colon now, but I can pretty much eat what I want, except rich or greasy food! I feel great. Even though I go about 5 times per day, I find it "doo-doo"-able!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello JD90. Thanks so much for sharing your story as it is refreshing to hear of the successes. Thanks also to Bagface for joijning in and sharing his own good fortune in this regard. 

Best wishes

Bill

Bagface

Bill! Hope all is well with you!

JD90

Best wishes to you too, Bill.

Sasquatch, if you are considering having a reversal done, go for it. My surgeon told me that if my health turned bad again, I can always have another operation to have a colostomy again. So if your surgeon tells you the same thing, then you will have peace of mind knowing that you can always turn back to a bag if need be.

Sasquatch

Too late for that now, I had my rectal stump removed at the end of last year. I was skeptical about my body adjusting to it, besides, I didn't want the extra surgeries involved with it. I handle the bag well, so I stuck with it.

Kirsty12

That's great, glad to hear you're okay. I had my reversal on 17/6/19, so still sore. Any tips on coping with pain to get a comfortable night's sleep? x

izipizi

Wow, great to hear your great news. I am scheduled for ileostomy reversal soon. Nervous, of course. How long before you went back to work? I would like to get back to work as soon as possible.

dadnabbit

Bagface, I was interested in your comment that you had a successful reversal even though you have no colon. Was your entire large intestine removed? My entire large intestine (colon) was removed and my surgeon stated that a reversal would be unsuccessful because without a large colon I would constantly need a bathroom. I have no faith in him (very long old story) so I found your success very interesting...

Dadnabbit

Bagface

Dagnabbit - After I had surgery for toxic megacolon, I was left with a small stump of colon, so basically I have no colon. I had an ileo for 6 months, then the reversal. At first, I was running to the bathroom 10-12 times a day. Now I go around 5 times a day. I steer clear of rich and greasy food. Stool is always very soft. I've read stories of people who have had their entire colons removed and still had reversals. Seeing as you have no faith in your surgeon, I would definitely seek out a second or even third opinion. I was very fortunate to have a good, experienced surgeon whom I refer to as my guardian angel!

Bagface

Dagnabbit - I'll be interested to hear how you make out. Good luck!

dadnabbit

Bagface, thank you for the info. My issues at this point stem from lack of faith. I went into the hospital with a blood clot in my leg. Two botched surgeries from vascular and being fed meds that I refused because of a history of causing severe diarrhea and bleeding from antibiotics. The reaction brought in a colon/rectal surgeon after I refused them, but they were administered secretly via IV telling me it was nutrients. Multiple (14- I think) transfusions later they told me I had C DIFF and precancerous cells and needed surgery. There was no C diff and no precancerous cells, but these facts were not available to me until after I was able to get my records. He took my entire colon (inflamed from meds), a right ovary (thought he saw something, there was nothing, it was healthy), and a gall bladder with a tiny 0.2mm stone (needing no attention and causing no issues). He had the pathology that verified the reality, withheld it from me, and ignored it. At this point, he was looking to cover his butt. I now have an enormous incisional ventral abdominal hernia with three loops of small intestine looped up into my stomach. He insisted that was not a hernia, but my PCP insisted on a CT scan and verified what it was. I refused to see any other surgeon at that time—trust issues. The original colon/rectal surgeon is no longer practicing at the same hospital, but he still practices and the discussions and ideas of a lawsuit go on and on. Statute of limitations do not apply to four class H felonies and rape (rape—using a position of power and authority to take something from an unwilling victim) in this state. I did not bother with malpractice because hospitals/surgeons here are very well protected here. The hospital is just as liable as they insisted he get me to agree to surgery because I was in ICU for 10 days (which became 22 after his surgery), even though the hematologist refused to sign off on surgery. Quite the mess. So, I'm short of trust and haven't left my home in the past five years except for doctor's appointments and legal advice. I am getting better about people and I do still entertain the thought of reversal, so your success really interested me. I think I'd go anywhere for a surgeon I trusted. Building that trust is the hard part, especially when considering the legalities surrounding my already existing situation. If ever I'm able to sincerely believe in a surgeon again, the first thing I would do is a reversal at which time the hernia can be fixed. Until then, I'll just stay in my small little world and ignore the butts out there. Glad it went so well for you (and just slightly jealous!!)

Peace

Dadnabbit

Bagface

Dagnabbit - Good Lord, you've been through the wringer to say the least! I'm truly sorry for your situation and really hope that things turn around for you! My original surgery was an emergency situation, as I was toxic. My guardian angel surgeon told me I was at death's door. I read other people's stories on this site and realize how very fortunate I am. I'll be forever grateful for my surgeon. I'll be interested to hear how you make out.

Bagface

Dagnabbit - Good Lord, you've been through the wringer to say the least! I'm truly sorry for your situation and really hope that things turn around for you! My original surgery was an emergency situation, as I was toxic. My guardian angel surgeon told me I was at death's door. I read other people's stories on this site and realize how very fortunate I am. I'll be forever grateful for my surgeon. I'll be interested to hear how you make out.

Bagface

Kirsty-Tylenol helped quite a bit after my surgery.

Puppyluv56

Kirsty,

I was very fortunate that I have an adjustable bed in one of my guest rooms. It goes to a zero gravity setting and that is the most comfortable of positions. You cannot turn over or move during the night to pull or tug on sore spots. You are comfortable in that position. You can rent them, I would imagine! I had shoulder surgery a few years ago as well. You have to sleep sitting up after that surgery, so the bed was a godsend for it. I would never have made it in a recliner! Lol

Puppyluv

AGB1982

Dagnabbit,

Prior to getting my ileostomy in April because I had a volvulus, a twisting of my small intestines, I lived without my colon successfully for four years. I went to the bathroom more often than average, and my stool was very loose, and if I ate greasy/fatty foods I would dump the fat when I had a bowel movement, but aside from all that it was very doable. So I highly recommend being reconnected.

Best wishes,

Amanda

dadnabbit

Amanda

Thanks for the input. I always hear so many bad stories and considering my exceptionally bad experience, I'm a little short of faith. Hearing success stories really helps to look at things with a positive point of view. I do want to be able to be reversed, but right now my doctors are working on getting me able to interact with others in public/face to face, as I have severe PTSD and have a hard time going out. I've not been out of my home alone in five years, and the only place I've gone is doctors and dentist, with a spare 1/2 dozen (recently) trips to the grocery with my husband, but still nowhere alone, and nowhere far from home. I've missed funerals for 2 brothers and 3 sisters-in-law over these past 5 years and our plans to travel Europe went out the window, but I am moving forward, albeit rather slowly. Thanks again for the data. It does help.

Peace

Nancy