Shower protection for ostomy bag - any recommendations?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recommendations for protecting an ostomy bag while showering, with participants sharing their advice and experiences.
Longroad78

When I had my surgery, I did not prepare myself for a life having an ostomy bag 24/7. When I first took my first shower at the hospital, the nurse got me a plastic bag and medical tape. At home, I was using Glad wrap and tape, but I found a product on Amazon called "Ostomy Bag Cover - Open Wound Shower Guard". Has anyone else found other products that they use to allow them to take a hot shower at the end of the day and protect the wafer that sticks to the skin and ostomy bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I made a little shower curtain apron. Works for me. It does not keep it completely dry but keeps the direct spray away. I often get 10 days on my flange.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi Longroad, I just taped around the edges of the wafer with that pink waterproof tape.

Longroad78

Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone. Hope everyone keeps adding to the topic to help everyone with the new change in life.

Puppyluv56

Hey,

I use nothing, just get into the shower and avoid the soap getting on the flange too much. It gets really wet but I use the hair dryer to dry the pouch and the flange after my shower. I started that because of wet coming through my clothes if I did not. Maybe the heat from it helps to reseal if there is any weakness from the shower. Never had any issues!

Puppyluv

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Donleo

I use a garbage bag and tuck it to an extra ostomy belt. I also use some transpore tape which is inexpensive at Walmart. 2 for 3 dollars, to resecure any loose ends. Good luck.

dadnabbit

I shower naked and change my pouch every day. I don't use anything other than a barrier wipe to protect the skin and a SenSura Mio open end pouch. No wafers, but if it's too humid I use some cloth medi tape around the bag edges for more security. For me, less is more but I insist on changing every day. If I am having company, I put a few drops of essential oils in the pouch to avoid any odor. Good luck.

Peace

Dadnabbit

BeachRN

Good morning. I use a one-piece Mio appliance #10471 from Coloplast. I don't use a wafer, and I shower every two days without any covering to my stoma. I also wash my stoma with Head and Shoulders shampoo because it has zinc oxide as an ingredient. I have never had any irritation around my stoma site. It looks very healthy. I hope this helps.

Newbie Dana

I start by always using an Aqua Seal (very thin, flexible, waterproof) by Costa Medical over my wafer before I attach my pouch. The peace of mind it gives me, especially during hot humid summers, is worth every penny! If I have a pouch I want to keep dry after that, I usually use a plastic grocery bag and tie the ends beneath the pouch/wafer. If I intend to change the pouch after my shower, I don't even bother with that. I never have issues with the wafer loosening with the Aqua Seal on.

BeachRN

I do basically the same routine as you. It works so well and you feel so clean. Thank you for your message. Beach RN

VeritasSeeker

I use a one-piece Sensura Mio from Coloplast. I tape the edges with Hypafix Tape. I shower every day, sometimes twice. When I go to the beach, I just get in and swim/snorkel for hours. I don't do anything to the appliance, and I regularly get 7-8 days of wear, which I attribute to the taped edges.

becrhomat

I use Glad Press and Seal

RissyLauren

I highly recommend blow drying your ostomy after a shower. It can help with possible skin irritation. :)

Jamcoop1

Hi! My husband uses a plastic shower cap (it already has fitted elastic) to cover his appliance and uses paper medical tape to further secure the shower cap from moving. Works great!!

Longroad78

Thanks everyone for the many replies, this type of information is helpful and can help new people to the site on the changes to their routine now with an ostomy.

anyark

I take showers and baths with the bag on. Afterwards, I towel dry what I can and let the rest air dry.

If I'm going to change the appliance, I take it off and shower naked. Any spewing just washes down the drain. I try to let my skin breathe for 15-30 minutes as I don't like having adhesive cover my skin 24/7. I just sit on a towel on my bed with paper towels, a bowl of water, and a garbage bag in case it spews.

Do what feels best to you. There's no right or wrong!

Papi

Well, when someone helps me into the shower, I don't cover my stoma. I just wash and clean my stoma with clear water. I never wear any kind of appliance into the shower. I put a new one on after. It just makes me feel completely clean.

BeachRN

Thank you, everyone. Your suggestions are invaluable.

sparks

I take a shower and use a hair dryer to dry the bag and tape, and this works well for me.

DixieMae

I use Glad Press 'n Seal. Once I got used to using it, it takes about 2 seconds to put on and press in place. Stay completely dry.

Papi

Do you apply that over your appliance? And stoma.

vollovr

Hello, can't believe all the ostomates on this site that have to use coverings when showering. I've had an ileostomy for 35 years and not one single time ever used anything to cover my wafer and pouch during a shower. When finished, I simply dry it off with a towel. When a change is due, I shower with nothing. The water and soap feels so good to my stomal area. BTW, I use a 2-piece Convatec Durahesive Natura system.

Papi

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the one that showed with a naked stoma.

OzTomate

I hate the thought of an out-of-control stoma in the shower, so I never take one without the bag attached. I have never considered any need to cover or protect the bag in the shower.

I shower every day and sometimes twice if working hard on a hot day. I have a single-piece bag collecting urine only and change that bag every 3 days.

After showering, I hold a square of paper towel to the underside of the bag for a few seconds to soak up the bulk of the water, then completely dry the bag with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds. I've been doing this for 3 years and never had a problem :)

denverguy

Everything seems to let water in. So I finally figured out that if my flange is installed properly, it does not matter if it gets wet. I use extra glue on the top and bottom of the flange. I change my flange every 3 days. I dry it with a towel and hair dryer. I've never had any skin irritations, so this does work for me.

Little Lulu

My stoma nurse told me to use Press and Seal, then tape it up around the edges with waterproof tape. I use Nexcare. It has always worked beautifully for me. I know that some people just get their appliance wet, but let me just add that I have never, in three years, had a problem with my appliance coming unstuck. I swear by this.

frince

Hi.

I have used a shower cap with great success.

2-piece Convatec flange and closed pouch system with Brava flange extenders.

Clean stoma with Brava skin cleanser wipes from Coloplast.

Never experienced any skin problems.

HenryM

I take advantage of a detachable showerhead, with a washcloth, and don't allow the water to spray directly on the appliance.  It'll still get a little wet, of course, but I simply dry it when I get out of the shower.

BeachRN

I shower every day and change my appliance. I need extra bags but I feel cleaner. My output is heaviest in the early AM. I just can't empty it. I need to throw it out. I've never had any irritation going this way. I use the Mio one piece. Love it. Best Beach RN

Tickpol

I just use Press and Seal. It's in the same aisle as Saran Wrap in your grocery store. I do a single wrap with a 50% overlap. Pulling it tight at the top is the most critical step.

Tickpol