Sticky Situation: Acidic Stool Eating Through Wafers?

Replies
Views
Shadowchick27

I have a major surgery coming up in August, but I'm having issues with my stool being too acidic, it's eating through my wafers and rings. I have tried everything I can think of, but the stool is eating at my skin, around the stoma, too. Has anyone else had this happen? Or have any suggestions?

Jennie

Yes, I used to have terrible pain at the extreme acidity of my output. I learned what acids are causing it, and stopped eating them. You can also take Omeprazole. I don't know what you are shaped like. My ostomy nurse called me "fluffy". I wear a convex wafer, plus 2 rings cut from a 4x4 square barrier, then a ring barrier on top of that. Lots of layers to eat through. Bag is on top of that, Hollister. I hope I have helped. Keep us posted.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi,
Try or look up Cavilon 3343e. It creates like a 'plastic' skin barrier film. Your
bags will stick fine, but it protects your skin.
Are you sure it's your stool causing your issue? If so, is it leaking under your
bag?
Maybe you are allergic to the bag/glue, which is not uncommon. Look up 'Welland Aura' bags
They have Manuka honey in the glue.
A bit more info would help 'us' to help you.

Best wishes,
Steve
Shadowchick27

I use just a normal appliance, but my stoma is in a weird spot. It's between an ileostomy and colostomy. I have been having really acidic diarrhea, and I can't get it to thicken. It sometimes even spurts.

Shadowchick27

I have never had this issue before my health started heading downhill. It's so bad that I have to have a majorly risky surgery in August. I am positive it's the stool. I've looked into allergic reactions. I know it's my stool.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Shadow,

From what you're saying, it sounds like a piece of the puzzle is missing. If the increased acidity of your output is a new phenomenon, then you need to find out why the acidity has changed. Acid comes primarily from the stomach, and intestinal bile comes from the liver, but it is not acidic. If it were me, I'd take a sample of what you think is acidic and check it with a pH strip (available at any pool supply store). If it is highly acidic, then you need to talk to your doc and find out how to control that. Many people think they can reduce the acidity of what comes out of their stomach, like a buddy of mine who told me not to drink carbonated beverages because it would increase the acidity of my stool. He didn't know the body (stomach) works very hard to maintain a very specific pH before it passes the contents on to the small intestine. And unless something is wrong, that pH doesn't change much no matter what you eat. Sounds like in your case (if your output is highly acidic) that something is amiss. You also need to know that acid isn't the only thing that eats through wafers/barriers. It certainly depends on the barrier, but some react (break down quickly) when pure water contacts them, etc.

So first find out what your output actually is... pH test to start and then have your doc send a sample to the lab for analysis for actual chemical makeup. Then when you know what you're dealing with (if your doc doesn't prescribe something for you to help modify your output), contact the ostomy supply companies and find out whose product works best at dealing with the type of output you have. Sorry, I don't have a quicker answer.

Regards,

Bob