Ostomy Memories of Genius

Replies
Views
HenryM
Jun 25, 2022 7:40 am

IT NEVER FAILS TO IRK ME when I hear a sports announcer refer to some feat a player has pulled off as “genius.”  It typically involves making an outstanding play of some kind.  I can appreciate such accomplishments as much as the next person, but it isn’t “genius.”  Even NFL quarterback Joe Theismann recognized this when he opined:  “Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius.  A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein.”  Sports quotes are frequently and ironically on point.  In any event, true genius involves creative exceptionality; it certainly is not mere athletic talent.  Genius produces paintings like Van Gogh; or writings like James Joyce; or light bulbs like Thomas Edison.  It is not only divinely inspired but also the product of hard work and long hours.  Sometimes a genius might be misunderstood, or just misperceived as nuts.  That is a common reaction to extraordinary people.  I remember my friend Howie, who once complained to me that he was a misunderstood genius.  “How are you misunderstood?” I asked him.  “People don’t think I’m a genius,” he moaned.  

Mayoman
Jun 25, 2022 1:17 pm

I think we know where the literary genius lies on MAO! Your sports genius gave me a laugh-out-loud moment, Henry. I always thought I was misunderstood too... for the same reason! They just can't see it! I'm reminded of Fredo in The Godfather, out in the boat with his little brother... "I'm smart, I can do stuff," Fredo cries as he is soon to be "Swimmin' with the Fishes." Suffering under a fatal misconception... A legend in his own mind!!! ...like me!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,860 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Jun 25, 2022 3:41 pm
Reply to Mayoman

You're no slouch at communicating yourself, buddy.

AlexT
Jun 25, 2022 4:06 pm

If I'm a misunderstood nut, does that make me a super genius?

Mayoman
Jun 25, 2022 5:19 pm

Beep!... Beep! Most people in the Genius category are a bit nuts, they have to be! It's a requirement for the position!

Ignoring all the so-called logic trying to hold them back is really where their genius lies.

Magoo

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mayoman
Jun 25, 2022 5:21 pm
Reply to HenryM

Coming from you, Henry, that is the supreme compliment! You are a gentleman and a scholar, my friend!!