So how are the "ed Days of Summer" treating you?

Replies
Views
beatrice
Hi all,

Just checking in. Some of us sure have had a rough time lately .

Me - I'm doing good. The funk is lifting and I'm not so down on myself when I tire easily.

But being a true Pacific Northwest gal ... these 30+ (86+) degree temps we are experiencing are proving to be a bit much. For a day or two -- it's a novelty. More than that, yuk .

Also, my flange is itchy, I'm changing more in the heat.

How is everyone?
PJT
I agree with you 100% Beatrice. It's been the same here in New York with very little rain to speak of. After working all day I have to spend at least an hour watering my garden because of the lack of rain. Finally this weekend it cooled off enough to sleep without air conditioning. This summer ruined my summer! I can't wait until fall, my absolute favorite season.

PJT
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi Beatrice! Nice to hear from you .... the Uk is having it's usual summer, pretty average temps and rain, but it is still too hot for me! Glad you are doing well, me not so great, but that is usual! Rach XXXX
Past Member
86 degrees...... lol.... it`s that temp here in kentucky at daylight...why we`d freeze to death if it didnt warm up to about 98 during the day..!!!
seriously...last 2 weeks here have been right at 100....97, 98, 96..... and humid. i just dont like it that hot!!...........
Pinky
We are having excellent weather here in north San Diego. Must be why 42 million Arizonans are here on vacation. This is one of the coolest summers on record for San Diego, because all the hot weather has stayed stuck up in the Pacific Northwest. Makes it hard to even THINK about ever leaving paradise. "No Bad Days" is the surfer's motto here.

Except, I do get that awful itching and redness around the stoma (under the adhesive) when the humidity creeps up, like last month. Our ostomy newsletter had an excellent article about working with this problem:

http://www.ostomysocal.org/osgnsdc/cgi-bin/ncnews.pl

Hope everyone is surviving the dog days - my doggie and I are trying our darndest!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lexus1
I found an Aloe~based lil wipe that helps with the itch a bit; It is called STOMA_CARE and is in a little package like an alcohol type wipe. I find it helps for the itching. It is in BYRAM catalogs and covered by Medi-care FYI. Comes in packs of 50.
Tiggy
Hi Beatrice!

I keep trying to make myself feel better by reminding myself that we've had it pretty good this summer. Remember last summer when it was 30+ degrees for weeks and weeks at a time!?!? This year, at least we've only had to suffer in this oppressive humidity for maybe three days in a row - tops. Then it goes back to milder weather, and heats up again, etc. It's kind of cyclical in nature.

But yes, you're right, any longer than two days at 30 degrees and higher and I've just about had it. Because we have such tame weather for most of the year, not a single person I know (including myself) has air conditioning in their home, and that can get miserable when you're trying to sleep at night and sweating like crazy. I keep my window open most nights, which has been sort of a relief because I live near the ocean and that means it's breezier here than in other areas of my city.

Anyway, I've been religiously checking the weather network website and supposedly it's supposed to cool down by Wednesday evening. I can't wait!!!

I'm glad to hear that you're doing alright!
DUFOUR 12000CT
The heat here in Key West has been exceptionally high and causing itchy skin around stoma. I've switched from Coloplast to Convatec with a Hydrocolloid
Flexible Collar, and stopped using Uni-Solve. MUCH BETTER NOW
TassieDevil
Hi Folks, glad you are enjoying some nice weather... Down here in Tasmania our daily average is about the 10c down to 2c at night.... Mud up to my knees and rain every day... I don't feel even a little guilty at staying inside on the computer....Roll on summer.

Mike
Temps here are between 100-105 you have it easy lol
Pinky
The heat and humidity came back with a roar - but no where near what the rest of you in the Northern Hemisphere are experiencing. Good luck to everyone with their heat-related issues! Pam
Mitzie
We're having 90+ weather with high humidity -- you're right, nothing stays the same on the tummy. Occasionally I give my ostomy site a wash with baking soda; rinse and dry well. It helps with itching sometimes. Do you use a skin prep too? I found that a flange made of durahesive gives me a terrible itchy rash. Stomahesive items are the only way I can go. Depends on the individual I guess. Hey, we're alive and deal with inconveniences that's all. Have a great day.