Allergic to adhesive, need alternative wafer

Replies
Views
kygal47

I'm allergic to the adhesive that holds the wafer on. My doctor has me using steroid cream to clear it up, but in the meantime, I'm having a real issue with keeping the pouch on. Also, I need some type of wafer that has an adhesive that I'm not allergic to.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Past Member

What brand and type are you using? I use the Hollister flange and pouch. Flange 14202 and have had no problems with it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Calamine lotion left to dry, I believe, is quite good. Also, leaving it open to the air if it is a reliable stoma!

Karaya Powder is also one of the items people on here swear by.

Hope it clears up for you soon - that must be awful.... I should call all the manufacturers and ask for samples - the people on the phones are generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

Rach xx

Past Member

Since I have been concerned that this might happen to me, too, please post again later to let me know how it worked out for you. I get my ileo on the 23rd so I am worried about everything, lol.

Katman

This was my issue at first as well... Did quite well with Coloplast, but eventually it all broke down. Am now using Convatec, but still have issues with itching. Calamine didn't really help me at all... but aloe did to a small degree. Eventually, it was a dose of Benadryl every third day to keep the rash down (taken in the evening so I don't go to sleep while driving!)

I think there have been a few other helpful suggestions mentioned on here... Anyone?

Katman

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
junopete
Kygal,

If you have not, contact all of the Osteo product makers. There are several. Speak with the company ostomy nurse and explain your problem and give your stoma size.

Most, if not all, will send you a couple of free samples.

You may also try "Benzoin Tincture". This is a wound shield. Once dry, an appliance will stick very well to it. It will provide a barrier between the flange and your skin. If you use Benzoin Tincture, it may sting like crazy until it dries. Once dry, it will feel fine. Most of the sting comes from the high alcohol content, which also allows it to dry fast.

Most people don't understand the healing process for skin. "Airing" it out is the worst thing you can do. Before skin can heal, it has to be covered. Nature's way is scab tissue. Other ways are covers like creams or bandages that are made for that purpose. Benzoin is made to protect the skin while it heals and as a skin barrier to avoid irritants.

Benzoin is carried in most drug stores.

Good luck.

Rick.....
rider

I have sensitive skin and have used the Coloplast 3210 wafer for many years with outstanding service. The wearing time averages 7 to 10 days. Good luck, John.

lowflyingbs
Not sure what product you are using, but try switching to different lines within that product line. Most creams you put on your skin to try to help clear it up also affect adhesion of the wafer, and doctors usually don't know that. Use karaya powder on the areas, you can put a skin prep over that, or even layer karaya and skin prep in a couple of layers before putting your wafer on. The powder will help in the healing.

I use Convatec products and had a similar issue once. I was having a reaction to the tape around the wafer. I switched to a white tape instead of flesh-colored for a while until the skin cleared up. Now I switch between the Convatec Durahesive and Stomahesive wafer system every time I change pouches. I keep white taped wafers on hand also just in case. Haven't had any problems since.
lampelady

I am also allergic to adhesives and latex. I suggest you contact your local stoma nurse for an appointment. Before my surgery, the stoma nurse (who has samples of everything) cut little pieces of adhesive from at least 15 products and stuck them on my stomach for a week to see which ones caused problems and which ones didn't. It saved me a lot of grief. Much easier and faster than contacting all the manufacturers yourself. Good luck.
Lin

sunasea

Hi, I have real sensitive skin and went to my two ostomy nurses, and they suggested a powder called Nystatin Topical Powder. Rub it in and let it stay on for a minute or two, and then I use a skin barrier spray by 3M #3346 that is no sting. I have been doing better since trying these two products. Hope this may help. Good luck.