Maybe Connate?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Sun
Hi there,

I have an ileostomy and I am currently using Hollister New Image 2-piece system with Adapt barrier ring. I used to get pretty good wear time out of it (4-5 days), but lately my discharge seems to be eating away at the ring barrier, which leads to leaks. I was always very happy with Hollister, but now I am kind of wondering if there might be other alternatives out there. I know that Convatec offers moldable skin barriers on their products and was thinking if they might offer a better seal?

I will appreciate your advice.

Sun
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi there, Sun.

I too use the two-piece system from Hollister and have for years. I love it and had actually switched from using Convatec! What's happening with your pouch or flange is what was happening to me with the Convatec system I was using.

The only time I usually have a leak is my own fault! After 22 years, you would think I would know better, but alas... perhaps you should call Hollister and let them know what's happening... they might even replace some of your supplies for you... I know they have great customer service!

Good luck and let me know how things work out for you! Happy New Year.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Butterfly
Hi Sun

Sorry, you have problems.
All I can tell you is what has happened to me.
After five operations on my stoma situation (including repositioning, stapling, etc.), I think I have tried every make/brand of appliance on the go.
For three years, my leakage problem was terrible (changing 3-4 times a day). I lost all confidence in not only going out anywhere but people visiting me at home. I felt that they had saved my life but not given me quality of life.
I have other serious health issues, but I'm writing this in regards to your question.
You mention you used to wear an appliance 4-5 days. Wow...that would be bliss.
I have found ConvaTec Natura Flange with flexible collar used along with ConvaTec pouches the best so far. Although I have to change the flange on average every 24 hours, it means during that time I have more confidence and yes, I do have leaks sometimes, but probably a lot of my problem is a stoma that retracts or goes flat.
I hope you manage to get some answers, but probably giving them a try is the best bet.
I talked to the ConvaTec helpline in the end, and they were fantastic, and I have to admit they have done more for me than my Stoma Nurse (lovely person though she is) did in months.
I hope this helps, good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Regards, Butterfly
Past Member
Hello again Butterfly, my name is actually Ann.

Again, as I said in my first post, I've been using the Hollister 2-piece system for years now and love it! The only time I really have any problems with it is when I get too lazy to change it! Otherwise, I love the product.

Fortunately for me, I have never had an issue with my stoma prolapsing or inverting, and I had the same general surgeon for all 5 of my surgeries as well!! If and when my skin under the flange gets irritated, and sometimes even after 22 years, it does, before I put a new flange and pouch on, I treat my skin with some calamine lotion.........I "fan" it dry with an empty flange envelope if you will and put the new one on, and I'm good to go!

Good luck yourself with everything and let me know how things go. By the way, I'm also in Connecticut, what area of the country are you in? I also have both Yahoo and MSN instant messenger programs if you'd like to chat there sometimes.

Besides my ostomy, I've also had a total knee replacement in July of '07, so I also know what it's like to have pre-existing conditions along with our ostomy.

Again, good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing from you again!
Sun

Thank you guys, it's so nice to have such quick responses. It sounds like both of you have a good point. I will definitely look around and see what else is there.

S

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi there Butterfly and Sun

I just realized that it was Sun telling us about some of her issues with her system and not Butterfly!

Sorry about that! Good luck Sun and as I said, keep us posted!

cancerfree

They are the best! No scissors and quick to prepare. I can't tell you how they stand up without additional seals. I have been using the convex one with an added Eakin seal and some stick tape in certain areas to fill in the crevices. I was getting anywhere 4-6 days as long as I wasn't very active.

Just this past week I saw the E.T nurse who suggested going without the Eakin and instead making my own seals out of the flatter Hollister skin barrier sheets. The one she put on in the hospital (without powder) was itchy after a day so I changed it and it had started to leak a bit but wasn't dangerous yet, just itchy. Might have used too much stick tape.

I have had this one two days now, the moldable Convatec, a Hollister skin barrier seal and a piece of the stick tape to fill in a part of the crevice and so far no itching. I DID remember to put the powder on first. After four years I still have substantial bleeding around the stoma which prevents a longer wear time. Mine is very gouged because of having to have a couple of stomas made in the exact same spot.

Sorry for rambling, you can only try them to really know. I think the moldable Convatecs are the berries. Everyone's wear time will be different. If you have any wetness around your stoma, don't forget to use the Convatec stoma powder (again my favourite).

Hope this helps someone find a better appliance system.

If anyone can tell me how to do situps without causing a leak, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!

Travelinbag
Hi Sun, I have been using the Hollister New Image 2-piece w/convex and the Adapt rings for many years. I have been having skin problems and getting shorter wear lately, and with the encouragement of our local Convatec rep, I am trying out the moldable Durahesive with Hydrocolloid (good for sensitive skin) flexible collar. They don't make the hydrocolloid flange with convexity yet, but I tried it anyway. I found that I am getting better wear with the Eakin seal than the Adapt rings. I kind of like the Hollister pouches better than the Convatec, so I may just go back to the Hollister and use the Eakin seals. In the long run, I will probably choose whichever gives me the longer seal. Hope this helps.
Sun

WOW! I did not expect so many replies. Thank you all. It is so great to know that there are so many helpful folks around. Such a wealth of information.

I will have to call ConvaTec and ask them for this moldable Durahesive with Hydrocolloid you mentioned above. I hope they have it in Canada.

Thanks

dina

I have been using Convatec for many years and I love it. The most that I like is when I go to the beach or pool, I don't have to worry about leaking. I check every time that I have a chance.

It is Sur-Fit Natura Flexible. You can try, and good luck...

Dina

Donavon

Hey Sun,

How's it? I have been using Hollister for 4 years now and have noticed that the barrier rings melt away much faster than they used to. I went from using the normal donuts to using the CeraRing and it melts faster than the old version without the ceramide.

I also noticed that I'm often rubbing the area around the ring due to itching. I'm sure this does not help.

Hello, by the way, I just paid for a full membership so hopefully I find some kindred spirits here on the site.

Hope you're doing great! Good night, Donavon

Old Bud

Amazing the different combinations and struggles. I have been through lots of combinations but what helped most I think was getting rid of the Eakin ring and sticking the flange directly on clean dry skin. We use the moldable flange which allows a tighter fit around the stoma. At about the 4-day mark, I can feel it getting itchy which seems to coincide with leakage starting to get under the flange. If I change it then irritation is kept to a minimum but if I extend it and it gets really red, I apply Marathon which seems to work magic on irritated skin. Expensive but works well. Good luck!

Donavon

What is a marathon?

Old Bud

https://www.medline.com/jump/content/products/wound-and-skin-care/marathon-liquid-skin-protectant/