Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,339 members

If this doesn't upset you, you are making way too much money

Posted by Lobster, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 am

mooza wrote:
Doesnt mean we have to talk about shit all the time

Politics/ostomy - aren't they one and the same?
Reply by KennyT, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 am
Yes they are Lobster and very observant of you to notice. You have progressed from the days when you were my legal consultant I have noticed. And by the way that invoice you sent me ages ago got filed in the too hard bin.

Ken
Reply by Xerxes, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:56 am
Herculisa,

Check the definition of Quixotic. I certainly don't think it applies to you. I hope you accept this in the spirit that it is given (as you would say), that is, I mean it as a compliment.

X_
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 am
well,  looking at this conversation in a slightly different light, if the administrator, were to allow all the different possible "threads" it would take up two or three pages  just to post the menu!

I think that any subject should be appropiate in any thread.

Use the menu for entering any thread you might be particuliarly interested in,  but knowing that other post in that thread  might not interest you at all.  When I first began, I know that I was kinda standoffish and thought "maybe I should not post THIS COMMENT in THIS thread.  But Primboy, Gutenberg,  Kenny t  and a few others advised me to post anything, any where, any time,  so I did  and DO now.

what ever turns you on, baby!!
Reply by ron in mich, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am
hi all i hate to say it but i,m with mooza and you can,t talk about pooh all the time, keep up the good work herc.  ron in mich
Site Admin
Reply by administrator, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm
Hi Everyone,

Admin here. As you all know, I don't jump in too often, but I thought it would be a good thing to clarify the purpose of our website.

MeetAnOstoMate.com was never meant to be a 'typical ostomy website', overburdened with ostomy talk, but rather a vibrant multi-topic community, where people have fun, discuss various things, laugh together, cry together, and give each other plenty of love and support.

I am sure all of you have noticed that MeetAnOstoMate.com is a very liberal space allowing its members to freely express their thoughts, vent out, and share their emotions. This said, there are certain topics, like politics and religion as an example, that could be quite controversial and often bring unnecessary tension to our otherwise very polite, helpful, and tolerant community.

Our believe is that we should be wise to avoid controversial topics and, if a member of the site feels very strong about starting a potentially controversial thread, everyone should be extra patient and tolerant.

Yours,

Admin
Reply by KennyT, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm
Thank you Admin for sort of clarifying the issue but I am not sure that your response has cleared it all up for me. This is due in part from me being a dumb bloke from Australia and in part from me being one of the protagonists when it comes to certain issues.

I sit and peruse the forums at times and realise that comments or jokes etc may offend many without the poster of said posts intending any hurt, but alas it may. For instance the mention of God will surely cause offence to any individuals who either believe in another religion or opt not to believe in any at all. Along the same lines many jokes placed in the Just For Laughs forum would probably offend certain people's sensibilities and yet this is not considered controversial. I personally have no problem with jokes concerning all issues as I believe that the joke is never intended to hurt people intentionally but that does not mean that others feel the same. It is very similiar with discussions regarding politics and religion. I will never take offence to a person with differing viewpoints or be intolerant of those who disagree with my slant on things. And I believe that is the way it should be. We are all allowed our views and it creates a stimulating discussion base. But I will take offence if my viewpoint is considered wrong purely and simply if I dare to question the majority view.

I sincerely hope that robust debate on issues like religion and politics are not considered too controversial for a wonderful site like this as I feel that it can only add to the rich texture that exists within. That texture is the glue that holds it all together and makes for a rewarding experience.

Ken
Reply by Traveling Lady, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm
I've been hesitant to get involved in this post -- seems these discussions (which I thoroughly enjoy) end up with someone getting out of control, not respecting the others beliefs.  But I agree with the consensus that we need to dwell on other topics than our ostomies.  Love Mooza's comment and Lobster's response   Lisa's passion is refreshing -- I still haven't done a FactCheck on all this but it's frightening if it's all real!

Now that we have Admin's blessing, I want to start a post on education, public and/or private, which can be potentially controversial but I will reserve that for a new thread.

Keep the stimulating discussions coming!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 pm
KENNYI have, ever since I read your first post, been impressed  

with your Soloman like, wisdom and insight.  But this latest post totally blew  my mind.

I believe that you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  After all from what I have observed,  

almost all in the threads,  what ever they may be, ARE compasionate, intelligent, and very

savy souls.  Let us keep it going the way we have been,  I for one see no harm.
Reply by Primeboy, on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 pm
The question here is not censorship but good judgment. None of us want to be defined by our ostomies; and most of us welcome lively, respectful discussions on a broad range of topics, even controversial ones, as long as a climate of mutual respect prevails.  Some topics (e.g., class warfare)  can get extremely polemical and may  quickly bring out the angels of our worse nature if not presented tactfully. I would hate to see discussion  threads degenerate into hostile exchanges. The administrator’s comments are well taken, particularly his call for tolerance in a context of love and support.
Reply by dsmithsc91, on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:08 am
I think this site is perfect for political discussions.  The only difference between ostomates and politicians is the location of the hole that spits out the crap.  
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am
Hey Prime how do you know he or maybe she is a he?
Reply by KennyT, on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:37 am

dsmithsc91 wrote:
I think this site is perfect for political discussions.  The only difference between ostomates and politicians is the location of the hole that spits out the crap.  

Wonderful stuff. I wish I had said that. I am going to use it without your authority.
Reply by joemenzies, on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 am

KennyT wrote:
Hey Prime how do you know he or maybe she is a he?

Hello fellow Aussie, In simple terms.. quote ..he may be a she!  OOPS!
Reply by Primeboy, on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:33 am
Gender consistency, KT. Administrator is a person who administers and is in the masculine gender. Its feminine equivalent is administratrix. (Merriam Webster).
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.