Safe for orgasm after surgery?

Replies
Views
amymariefred

I’m about 6.5 weeks post op for a temporary ileostomy. Let’s just say I’m rearing to go but I’m super nervous. I’m worried about the muscles in my abdomen contracting with an orgasm. Will it hurt? Will it cause issues with my ostomy? Should I wait until my doctor says it’s ok? Not ready for intercourse yet but just exploring self-stimulation. Sorry if this post is TMI. Can’t find any answers anywhere. 

CrappyColon

What type of surgery did you have  open or laparoscopic? Do you have any colon left (yes there is a relevant reason I ask this 😉).  Have you had your around 6wk post op check with your surgeon yet? (never a bad idea to ask your Dr or ostomy nurse if you have one)

Also, have any of your medical providers talked to you about pelvic floor therapy in between your surgeries?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,598 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Wow I could take this in so many directions 🤣🤣🤣. 6 weeks out you should be good to go, but with everything  take it slow. 6 weeks is the magic number, but after 7 surgeries I like to make dam sure things are good and healed before going full throttle 😃. Good luck and have fun. 

mild_mannered_super_hero

I can remember asking my nurse the same question, I’ll never forget her reply. She said “ sir, you might wanna at least wait till your out of the recovery room” 😁

IGGIE

What's an Orgasam? it sounds familiar but it been so long.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

😁. 

AlexT

Relax and enjoy, everyone deserves to feel “that” feeling. 

Briutz

Hi Amy,... Well suck my friggin' nut sack, I have to say quite honestly that I am in awe of such a direct approach for such a troubling subject which, lets be honest , isn't the easiest question to ask a world audience full of people who have suffered the same anxieties whether it's to share intimacy or enjoy the delicate pleasures of singular self satisfying sex. I have nothing but admiration for you Amy for bringing this intimate activity out into open air,.. nowadays it is considered a normal healthy practice and yet usually enjoyed  alone. So top marks for this Amy and for my 2 penneth I agree with Cplumber that 6 weeks should be ok for a nice personal steady approach BUT !,.. and unfortunately I can't help but approach this with an element of humour.... so Amy, seriously now, in my long and arduous life I have become aware of some of the most interesting and devastating instruments of sexual torture that are definitely not of this earth. Beware of any 'spinning drill' type devices and the ones which imitate highway 'jack hammer' concrete busters, I've had nightmares about those which put the poor elephant in the shade, completely covered in barnacles and spikes, advertised to last10 to 15 hours of,... wait for it,.... Pleasure?? 

Joking aside though Amy, after 6 weeks, if I felt ok, I wouldn't hesitate,.. but everything in moderation and its a bit like driving, they used to say in the highway code, drive at the speeds which the roads will allow. 

Good luck sunshine, let us know how you go on! ( within reason of course )

Best wishes Brian.

AlexT
Reply to Briutz

😁. That’s quite a description. I’ve heard nothing but good things about toys like rabbits, rechargeable joy machines, etc. Hopefully all the ladies are relieving their tension in one way or another if they don’t have a significant other to enjoy those times with. Life’s too short to keep all the tension built up. 

amymariefred
Reply to CrappyColon

Thanks for the questions. I had an open resection with robotic laparoscopic. I had my post op at 4 weeks so maybe I need another conversation. 
Is pelvic floor therapy something you’d recommend? I wasn’t told about that. Thanks! It’ll spark a conversation with my doc for sure. 

amymariefred
Reply to Cplumber

Thanks so much. 

amymariefred
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Ha ha ha!!

amymariefred
Reply to Briutz

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the humor and serious responses. 

CrappyColon
Reply to amymariefred

Yes to the pelvic floor therapy/physical therapy. I’ll respond more to other questions in a message 😀

Maried

If it makes you happy and not painful or stress on the area  you had surgery..enjoy..and Happy healing.

MoeMoe

Hi AmyMarie, at 8 wks postop from colostomy I gave it a go. I went slow and gentle (no toys) because I too was scared of injury to my abdomen from contracting muscles. The next day I had a little soreness in my pelvis and had some light pain in the upper pubic area, nothing terrible or excruciating and it went away by midday. I think you will be okay as long as you are mindful of what your body can handle and stop if you feel pain. 

amymariefred
Reply to CrappyColon

I had an open with robots. I had about 7 inches of my colon removed. I did speak to my doctor and she cleared me but still nervous. :) She said I’m not a candidate (won’t need) therapy between surgeries. Thanks!

MagicFlute14

I’d say yes to masturbation, but I’d recommend use your hands better than any device, because you’ll be able to be more secure of how you feel. I’ve got a lot of cramps (seating, bending to pick up something, even driving!) but none from having an orgasm! Good luck… and great pleasure! 

AlexT
Reply to MagicFlute14

With a profile name like yours, I’d think you’d recommend toys. 😂 just kidding, have a good day. 

Handy

Actually orgasm is good for your muscles and pelvic floor specifically. I agree with others to go slow but it’s an important part of getting back to normal like everything else!

rlevineia

Periostomal prolapse is miserable & never works out well.  See your surgeon or Ostomy nurse.  They can guide you as to healing time.

MagicFlute14
Reply to AlexT

Yes, you’d think! Lol!

But it’s not a favorite device, it’s my favorite opera! 

betsyb
Reply to Cplumber

Wondering how one can “take it slow” with an organism? 

betsyb
Reply to amymariefred

Hi, are you in Portland by any chance? 

Past Member

If you have found any direct answers to this let me know in a message as I've literally been asking myself the same question as you x 

Nikki 

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I can message you as well. 

AlexT
Reply to betsyb

😂 good point. 

Past Member
Reply to CrappyColon

Please do 

amymariefred
Reply to Anonymous

Nikki-

Everything went well, for me, no issues at all. It didn’t really hurt my abdomen. I had to take matters into my own hands since I couldn’t find any information. Lol. 

IGGIE

G-Day amymariefred,  You first asked this question on the 6th November your last remark was the 27th November as the Orgasam just finished. 21 day Orgasam thats got to go into the Guinness Book of Records. Regards a very jealous IGGIE