Reversal with hernia

Replies
Views
Rocky09

I have developed a hernia from coughing thru covid. I'm having reversal surgery in few months and am nervous about post op recovery. Anyone have advice?

Jayne

Hello

I suggest you practice 'reverse breathing' BEFORE you go in for surgery - [Guys apparently - according to my surgeons - find this easier then females - BUT IT IS WORTH GETTING THE HANG OF - took me the best part of 8 hours to learn in ITU - BUT IT IS VERY WORTH WHILE DOING ONCE YOU FINALLY GET THE HANG OF IT  - it saves no end of lung complications - cause the last thing you want with a post surgical hang is a collapsed lung - BEST TO BE FORTIFIES AND READY TO DEAL WITH THE WEAKENESS. GET YOUR GP / NURSING TEAM TO ENSURE YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT  - PRACTICE IT>

CHECK WITH YOUR GP - becaus eof the covid first - as I have no experience of covid/long covid - AMD I AM NOT A MEDIC _

SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS SUGGESION BEFORE YOU HAVE CHECKED WITH YOUR OWN MEDICAL DOCTORS

[what worked for me may not be appropriate for you]

BUT DO ASK - because, I found it difficult to learn /perfect when I most needed it - IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME HAD I KNOWN ABOUT REVERSE BREATHING AND HAD PRACTICED IT AND BECOME PROFICIENT before my surgery!

tAKE CARE - ANDcheck it out - NO POINT IN STRESSING IF THERE IS A POTENTIAL PRE PREP WHICH MAY HELP

but promise to check with your doctor first

CHEERS

JAYNE

PS sorry about the caps - just seen them! - but sending as is

waves from the hills

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,624 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rocky09
Reply to Jayne

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll try it. 

Mags

rnourie

Hi Rocky, I had my reversal on November 15. The recovery from surgery was real for sure and not terribly different than the recovery from the ileostomy surgery but without having to get used to the new life of living with the pouch. You'll have to take it slow for a while, not lift things, be careful getting in and out of bed, etc, for the first week or two. Go slow with introducing foods as your system will be waking up both from the surgery and from not being in use for the time that you had the ostomy. Be really conscientious about hydrating and get yourself going walking as much as is comfortable each day. I had a hernia too from coughing going into the surgery and they were able to repair it as part of the reversal. I worry that I may have reinjured it through coughing again, but will find out more when I have a routine CT scan this Friday. 

Everyone is different of course, but I have been very encouraged by my new reality post reversal. I am able to eat everything at this point, have fully regained my strength and while I have to use the bathroom 3-5 times a day, I have excellent control, have had no accidents and not much urgency. Others have had a much harder time I know, but it can be encouraging to hear some positive stories as well. I am fully back at work, taking long walks with my dog in the woods, going out to dinner, seeing friends and living a pretty normal and manageable life. I hope you have as easy time as possible with the experience as well. Now that I am through all the stages of treatment that started more than a year ago, I am finally feeling like myself again, though still processing the overall trauma of it all. Will be thinking of you.

Rich

Rocky09
Reply to rnourie

Thank you for sharing your story. It really helps to hear other's perspectives and recovery. I'm scared but trying to put it aside. 
Have a great year 🎊

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister