Clarification: leaks

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Is a bit of output getting under the inside edge of a ring considered a leak? Or is the ring absorbing stuff sitting against your skin considered a leak? 
I get a bit around the inside edge under the ring, by the time I remove my bags. It only once made it all the way to the outside of the ring. 
looking for clarification. Thanks!

Morning glory

If output is on your skin it is definitely  a leak. Is your skin itching or burning any to warn you? How does your skin look?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

To me a leak is when the barrier ring and the wax ring have been compromised all the way to the outside tape…seepage between barrier or wax is okay if the barrier wipe is doing it’s job the skin does not get affected. - however, I do change my bag every other day with a naked shower as well…everyone sports different bags/pouches so the terminology is not necessarily interchangeable.  Skin rash is skin rash and dreaded by all but it seems leaks have different meanings🤔. 

As an fyi I wear a ConvaTec clear and crinklie bag - I hate the crinkle but am obsessive about knowing the condition on the inside of my pouch so I preview high definition view over a peek-an-boo bag….jb 

AlexT

I always have a little bit under my barrier ring but no breach past that. Probably technically a leak but I have no skin irritation. 🤷‍♂️ 

Mysterious Mose

I consider a leak anything that has breached the adhesive. When I start to see darkness outside the barrier ring, I know it is time to fix things. :-)

Daniel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Justbreathe
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Exactly….beyond barrier ring (gasket) it’s time for a change - thinking this is more prevalent with those having an ileostomy as to those who have a colostomy…. Liquid tends to seep- as an ileostomate,  I tend to have turd envy so a Giant difference between the ostoshiz crowd an therein lies another word/term for Beachboys upcoming book -  Stoma for Dummy’s - I think the title is still up for discussion- my contribution was BUMMIES for DUMMY’S - Iggie also contributed…..      respectively submitting seepage versus leakage an input on output. jb

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Justbreathe

Yeah, liquid soaked in bile will get you every time! :-)

Daniel

Beachboy
Reply to Justbreathe

Very good reply and totally on point.  What constitutes a leak depends on ostomy type.  Colostomy, illeostomy, urostomy... double baggers.  Each type has unique challenges.  Paristomal hernia adds complication to all.

Love the term  "turd envy"  

BUMMIES for DUMMY'S

Chapter 2   

Turd envy and the single Ostomate

Beachboy

Shit load of information for Dummies

Chapter 3

Bag burps gone wrong

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

1. Always make sure to fully open the tail when passing gas.

2. Never force the gas bubble sitting above a load of shit. Always gently push it around.

3. Never burp your bag when you are laying in bed.

4. If you do burp your bag in bed, make sure your head is not under the covers!!

Kimmy050263

As soon as I see a leak I know it is time to change.  Sometimes I can tape myself down and wait a few hours, but is not comfortable and feel like I have to stay in the house.  And most times when I see one leak, another is going to happen soon.   Just observations I have noted for myself.

I am only about 1 month into this, but each time I have spotted a leak, things go south really quickly!  Twice now, one leak sprouted into three!  

I now, after day 2 start checking the adhesion around my bag.   I am very thin and have crinkly skin around one side of the bag.  That is where I tend to leak most.  But have had twice now the bag start leaking from the underside of the bag.  sooo... I have just always conscious of checking things out.  

I do love the barrier strips!  They have made a world of difference for me.  

Kim

NurseAnita

I love this conversation, what defines a leak? To me, a major leak or blowout is when stool or urine seeps underneath the barrier and out the sides, this requires a pouch change immediately or ASAP - taping and caulking are ineffective and the longer stool sits on your skin the greater your risk of skin damage. A large leak is when you change the barrier and notice - uh oh - it was almost to the edge for a major catastrophe. A little leak is a little poo around the barrier ring edges which to me with an ileostomy is nearly normal errosion, but if your skin is getting irritated then that's not good either. I think it is always important to look at the back of your barrier when you change it to see how it "eroded" to determine your "wear time" .... always change before it leaks! Every person has a different wear time, anywhere from 1 day to 7 days. I think I will start photographing barrier backs and giving them star ratings, LOL!