Defying the Odds: My Journey of Overcoming Limitations

Replies
Views
IanL42

I was born premature, one pound three ounces, and at birth my parents were told that the doctors would do an ostomy surgery and hope for the best. They gave me two days and either I would be stable or I wouldn't make it. After many surgeries and my whole first year of life in intensive care, I was finally brought home but still being taken care of by my parents and a hospice every day for the next four months. Growing up, I never saw myself being different from anyone else besides being told by my doctors that I couldn't play sports. When I was four, my mom said, "He is way too active to not do anything," so she signed me up for soccer. I loved it and I found a new favorite thing. Growing up, I played tackle football with my friends and hockey on the river. Even after doing that, my mom still would not let me play football for school or hockey, always telling me I shouldn't be doing anything at all. I played soccer for 12 years after that. In fifth grade, I made the traveling basketball team and made some amazing memories. In middle school, I played school and traveling team basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball traveling team, golf (since I was three), and cross country came into the picture in 8th grade. As some people may know, running with an ostomy can be tricky, uncomfortable, and overall dangerous. Due to a fast metabolism, my parents were worried sick, but I ate healthy and drank water every second I got. I fell in love with this new sport of running and my freshman year, I went out and ended up winning our conference meet for junior varsity and being moved up to varsity. My sophomore year, I was talked into track by my coach. My first year of track, we went to the state meet and I ran the second leg in the 4x8 meter relay. I also ran the 400, 800, and 4x4. Two months after state, I had an appointment back at Children's Hospital with my old doctors and nurses to check up on me and see how I was doing. Me, my dad, mom, stepmom, and stepdad walked in and sat down. I was wearing my state sweatshirt and as I sat down and greeted everyone, my old doctor asked me, "Did you go down and watch the state meet?" I said no, I ran. He looked at me shocked and said, "There's no way." I then explained to him that I was a runner. He acted like I was telling him pigs could fly. My parents laughed. I laughed. My senior year, we went back again with the same thing. The first thing he asked was, "Are you still running?" I said yes and that I had just made first team all-conference for cross country. He said, "You have got to be a special young man in God's eyes. You're a miracle. Most people in your condition would dehydrate after a mile." He was amazed to see that I was five feet eleven inches and 150 pounds, saying when I was born, I would be the smallest kid in my class. My whole life, I've been told, "No, you can't," and I'm starting to get sick of hearing it. I hate that people have treated me differently and act as if I can't do things "normal" kids can do. Please, if you have any stories, feel free to share. I'd love to hear them.

Past Member

Your story reminded me of something I wrote several years ago. When we believe we can't, we can't. Our primary block in life is ourselves and the belief we hold about the possible. I have many limits currently, but I do believe in me. What I wrote is in a Tribute to I Can. When you find things 'you can't', move on past to I can - again.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IanL42

I couldn't agree more. I was always told growing up that you're only going to do what you believe you can do. Just last night, my parents bought me a rubber bracelet that says "Believe in it." I'm currently having problems with school and adjusting to life away from home, living with two friends a half hour away. Just knowing you have people behind you supporting you in all your events in life, it helps a lot. Thanks for commenting.

NancyAnn

Hi Ian, my story is similar to yours. You don't say how old you are now, but I too was born premature and had a lot of internal problems and had a colostomy originally. They reversed that, but then my bladder failed and I have had a urostomy since 1962. My family never treated me much differently. I played some sports in school like baseball in gym class. The only thing I had to be careful with was when they did tumbling, which I happened to love but had to be careful. I love when we can prove the doctors wrong. Good for you!

paulak

Hello Ian! Wow, what a great story! I totally agree with you, the only limits we have are the ones we impose on ourselves. I have a colostomy for 3 months now due to a car accident, hopefully will reverse it next month. But I'm living as normal as I can, I'm working, dating...And I saw your pictures, running. Congrats! I haven't tried any sports yet - guess I'll wait for the outcome of the reversal surgery - but I used to be a ballet dancer and I miss it a lot!! It's very nice to see that you can do even radical sports like snowboarding...Thanks for posting your story, it really made me happier D

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
hdgbabe21078

Hi Ian. I have had my colostomy since I was 8 years old. And our stories are similar because I have been playing soccer since I was 9, and I played lacrosse during my junior year in high school. Also, my parents wanted me to be very careful with everything I did, and once they saw me doing something good, they let me do what I wanted.