Stickiness

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

I think I've posted about this subject before but it's been a year or so since. Has anyone else experience stickiness coming from their ostomy bags? It seems it's coming from the inside of the bag and it gets all over my ostomy garments after emptying even though I clean my bag end very well. I'm wondering could it be adhesive breaking down or the ring? I use cera rings from hollister. This all started happening about maybe 2 years ago so im.wondering If hollister changed the formula for those in that time. I use a convatec bag.  This stickiness has caused me a whole lot of heartache and issues.its basically ruined my ostomy experience.  

Jayne

Hisbiscs,

Hello

....... Perhaps it 's time for a change of brands hey?

Have you tried Salts stuff - coordinates with underware and I have not found sticky issues .... in anycase the Salts brand offers both adhesive removal wipes + spray and also protection wipes too .... and their backing plate design allows for more movement, unlike those with a sigle spherical wafer.

Just a thought

BW

BTW Some US folk do use Salts so belief you have senders in the US

Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Jayne

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I think salts is only available I'm other countries. I wish I could try thier stuff but I'm in the US and even if I paid to get some shipped it would be a worry each month as to if I'd get them in time. 

AlexT

No issues with my Hollister stuff 

MBT

I haven't noticed a stickiness from the pouch. But, I have noticed sometimes a glue residue from the flange.

Do you use a deodorant? I have heard that some deodorants can breakdown the seal on the pouch edges...

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Hisbiscus
Reply to MBT

I've often wondered since I rinse and I do use m9  deoderant drops if it's maybe breaking down my ring or flange inside the pouch. Could it be possible?

The stickiness seems to be coming from inside the pouch. If it gets on anything it's sticky as well 

Hisbiscus
Reply to Jayne

Can you provide a link? I'd be interested 

MBT
Reply to Hisbiscus

I do not use M9, but have seen reports or was told by my Convatec rep that it can breakdown the seams of Convatec pouches

Hisbiscus
Reply to MBT

I do use a convatec pouch the active life hard convex. It does not seem to leak from seams, unless it's micro and I don't know it. I use a hollister cera ring.   I know convatec does have thier own deoderant now but it's oily and has essential oil in it which I'm allergic. This is interesting because I've been trying tp figure this out for 2 years now. I see you are or were, (not sure) an ostomy and wound nurse. I used to wear  a flat pouch active life but I never had issues but it had standard adhesive not extended wear. It's basically makes my life miserable trying to keep things to a minimum and very costly. I wore my ostomy with confidence and happy at one time until this sticky issue started. 

MBT
Reply to Hisbiscus

Disclaimer: I do not work for any of the manufacturers. Like everyone else, I try out all of the products that I can.

I do not use the Convatec brand deodorant either. Too floral for me. If this has been going on for 2 years, it sounds like more than a bad batch of pouches. Maybe the pouch material is different? I haven't seen a hard convex from Convatec in a bit, so I'm not sure if the material has changed.

Convatec made a new flat extended wear pouch available last year. It is available in clear and opaque.

Hisbiscus
Reply to MBT

I've tried most all of the convatec convex pouches but the old active life ( an oldie but a goodie) seems to be the least problematic. They dont advertise this one on the site but if you search it you will find it. The software convex does not hold up and still the sticky issues. Coloplast I tried for 3 months and at first it was  ok but after a while I had issues with that too. Sticky and allergic type reactions. I tried hollister several ones and those were even more sticky issues. It may be the ring? Or the extended wear adhesives? I have no idea but I'd love to find out why as No one else has these issues. 

Before all this started I was usng an activelife flat pouch with stomahesive adhesive and never had an issue. This all started after a parastomal mesh hernia surgery and my stoma turned flat so I had to switch to convexity. They are all using extended wear adhesives in them but what baffles me is no one else seems to have this issue. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to MBT

Do you use a deoderant? If so which one?

MBT
Reply to Hisbiscus

When I use deodorant, I use Coloplast Brava. Have you tried alcohol free mouth wash or even tic-tacs in the pouch? They may be less sticky.

Hisbiscus

I've tried tic tacs years ago when I first got this ostomy. I cannot remember why but there was some reason i did not want to use them again. I do love M9 as it seems like the best  deodorant I've tried thus far as it has no fragrance and very little if any smell when I empty. I've used brava before but just too oily and fragrant for me.