Do you clean inside the flange in between bag changes?

Replies
Views
JVM261

I have been cleaning inside the flange, the plastic part on the base, in between bag changes almost daily since I got home from rehab. I somehow thought this would make the bag changes less frequent by preventing leaks, especially when wiping off thick output from for example rice, mashed potatoes. But sometimes I wouldn’t click it on right on one side securely after and…disaster. So, I left it alone this week but checked on it to see how output was doing. It seems it’s ok, the thick output from yesterday washed out by itself with the thin output taking its place. So, do you clean the flange in between changes? If yes, do you find it helpful?

Ostoberry

I have an old style clear plastic condiment bottle with a pointed cap. I use a two piece Hollister and every time I dump, I separate the top of the bag and rinse around the stoma and the bag across from the stoma. I can get a week per appliance with very little poo around the stoma at changing. Before I started doing that I would get leaks after 2 or 3 days. I learned if you smell it a lot it's gotten under the flange.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Good morning Jules..

I believe you have the two piece that you're talking about and what I do is I simply don't disconnect it..

I unclick it then

spin the  bag 180° up..open drain tail and put some warm water in there then.. I swatch it around a little bit and I secure the velcro of course.. and then I spin it back to drain it position.. I do this   maybe once or twice almost every night.. it's become routine and I think that really cleans what's around the stoma... I understand you're trying to clean that little plastic lip area  where it connects and snaps to but I really don't think that's necessary.. you really want to try to keep the area around the stoma and where the mounting plate goes ..clean..you know where that little gap should be??   I think this is the best the most efficient way to do it what do you think??

even if you are doing a complete appliance change, helps.

and always keep that snap ring clicked.. never unclicked. when u do this. i do this in the sink or a basin tub. resecure the velcro..

JVM261
Reply to warrior

The mounting plate, the barrier, the appliance, the base plate, so many names lol…meanwhile the bag is the bag. Yes, I use a two piece hollister click on, Velcro bottom closure. 

aTraveler

I always clean around the flange with every bag change.I do it too prevent the possibility of any old stool buildup. It's not strictly necessary, just a personal preference.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior
Reply to JVM261

Yes indeed the terminology alone can make your head spin I'm just talking about spinning your bags nothing else but I'm thinking now why do people just change their bags I don't I really don't change my bag I change the Complete Appliance and that's when it starts leaking at the mounting plate you know behind the seal it seeps and then eventually turns into a blowout but I'm curious yur reasons to do a clean up..  while you're doing maintenance  changing a bag.. I can't see other than it having a pinhole or something like that I mean if it gets wet you use a blow dryer to dry it off I don't really see the reason needed to just clean that area that you're talking about I can't imagine what would cause something like that to happen I mean if you're just doing it for a piece of mind and for maybe a health reason I get that but it's like the less you touch it the better you're off .... my theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it and when my bag leaks..the mounting plate that is... it's broke so I replaced the whole damn thing Soup To Nuts.

yea anal-ytical..the terms can cause scratch a head moments

😏😊

aTraveler
Reply to warrior

With a 2 pc appliance using a closed pouch, you change the bag when it is 1/3 to 1/2 full. I change my bag 2-3 times a day. I change the appliance every fourth day. I use the terms pouch and wafer. 😊

JVM261
Reply to warrior

Yes, I’m starting to understand now that the less you touch it the better off you are. I think I started doing that because when I was in the rehab facility, they didn’t clean the stoma area just put on a new bag, only some nursing aides did, and when I told them that at the hospital they thought it was ridiculous because they were like you wouldn’t go to the bathroom and not clean after? So, from that experience I got caught up in cleaning. The thing with me is that I hear it click on the one side and I think it’s OK and now I know I have to run my finger around the whole entire circle and push but you know I’m still learning these things since the  first week of November I’ve been home and it’s like such a learning experience still. I’m so grateful for this site. I know the reversal for me is possible and I want it but as I wait to get stronger I am grateful for you all and I will say I am still mad about cdiff I don’t like the bag still, I am processing it all still, But I’m know too if the reversal doesn’t work out I have supports and knowledge and that means a lot. But yes I touch the bag a lot worrying about leaking but it’s only really a worry most at night because of air. And I get up at 3 AM and I empty and am ok mostly.

warrior
Reply to aTraveler

well..color me schooled. I was not even thinking a closed piece. bc why?? 

where's the fun doing that?😊

so my next question to you would be why use a closed pouch over a drainable?.

i mean change bags like that..or washing them out to reuse gotta suck.

first the cost for new bags..second the time work and mess of replacing it.. then removal and dumping in a trash can..eeeew. sorrry and u carry bags with you when you go out..??.. enlighten me. 😏 

warrior
Reply to JVM261

jules, have you tried pre- assembling the mounting plate  and bag first? then apply to stomach?

i do this. i can easily just palm the plate into the bag and feel the click. pick it up and view it too.....sealed? yup. 

like a sandwich...as long as u line things up,  i find it easey peasey.

now at this u make a decision.

1- heat things up and apply barrier ring to plate..this is the blind way..

or 2- heat things up and apply barrier ring around stoma area..use a small mirror. u can see how it seals to skin..no bumps. flat..if it somes off? just keep pressing that area till it sticks.

when i do this, i leave one side plastic on  the ring and finger it around the stoma. a few circles..round  and round.take a mirror peak..at everything..

peel off that sticker.. heat things up..apply the assembled plate and bag one time. no click needed except the snap ring if u forgot earlier..

then finger the mounting plate....round and round..pressing and holding visualising with xray vision, 😋 the ring location u just set..

add the adhesive c strips.. done. 15 mins tops.

if your stoma is not round? that's ok. u can form the ring by seeing it without blindly attaching everything else.

i wake up at 2a.m and 4 a.m. im just full...of...shit...sometimes..🤭

aTraveler
Reply to warrior

Why use a closed pouch over a drainable?

• For me it is more convenient and versatile. Insurance pays for 60 bags per month. I have a colostomy and only need to change bags 2 - 3 times per day. May not be as feasible for an ileostomy. But there are some with an ileostomy that use closed pouches:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHApL1iUzco&pp=ygUTY2xvc2VkIG9zdG9teSBwb3VjaA%3D%3D

• "Why I don't empty my bag" youtube video.

warrior

A Traveler indeed...And you have a very good point as long as the insurance is picking up the tab I can see where it pays for you to do what you do and you're right anybody with an ilio is not worth it but that's what I have and that's the way I've been seeing it..

we are a versatile bunch of people with all different needs and it's just trying to get through the day you know where it can be easier not a huge task so whatever works that's great man I really don't do the YouTube videos but it's good that you posted it here for others I do my thing you do your thing and I was just concerned Why anybody would do this especially on a low budget if that were the case you know I've heard people actually just rinsing their bags and reinstalling them so there is that but thanks for the input I appreciate it very good very good response thank you

JVM261
Reply to warrior

I haven’t tried to assemble it before hand although the ostomy nurse told me that I should I just got into the habit of doing it the way I do it. I use the Bravia barrier strips so I don’t use like the half circle tape. The circle tape is hard with the spastic in me. Can’t get it straight. I get it always wrinkled so the straight tape is better and when you do the straight tape, it’s easier to do the bottom without the bag on. So I do the bottom of the base first the base plate. Well, I should say that with each Bravia barrier strip, I cut it into three pieces. Or, rather, my friend helps me. Then one piece goes on the bottom of the base. Then two other pieces gone on each side and I leave the top because I don’t really have to tape it. But I have started closing the bottom before putting it on because that’s important you know closing the Velcro. I am not patient with heating up the ring, which is a problem with me because of the leaking and I’ve gotten more patient but I’ve actually never had well for many years a hairdryer just ordered one so that I can use it for heating up things with the bag. It damaged my hair when I used to use it, so I never wanted to use it again, but how life has changed. If you would’ve told me, I would’ve been using one for this I would’ve told you your crazy. Ha.

warrior
Reply to JVM261

Indeed life has changed!!  and thank you for that very descriptive explanation!!  I never thought about the straight type adhesive strips... I haven't seen them..

those curved strips are really a pain and you really got to know what you're doing there.. it's like one time use only cuz they're very sticky.. so as far as being crazy?? aren't we all a little crazy sometimes ??

what happens is you got to break the routine ..mix it up a little bit and that's why I started assembling everything beforehand..

I find it's a lot easier and quicker.. and the hair dryer a must.. briefly  I think there's a button that you can press on it for Cold Air instead of hot air so you might want to try that as well..

but you know we're all here in the same boat just trying to deal with it ..

some people find better ways than others.... others try to suggest better ways.... it's just really trying to break the routine sometimes.. you know the day today routine..

it gets boring and sometimes you just got to mix it up..

glad yur managing so well.

Beachboy
Reply to Ostoberry

Yep.  If you smell poop.... there's a leak or compromised seal somewhere.  

Beachboy

I have a colostomy.  Fairly thick output with bonus turdletts.... or is it turdlets?  I digress.

I only clean the plastic drain ends with each empty.  At work I don't have the time to fuss much with the bag.  If it gets really soiled: drain it... snap it off and slap on a new one.   At wafer change time, my stoma is fairly clean.  It's kinda like a self cleaning oven.  It can be covered in poop,  then a few hours later, there it is... emerging a cheery bright red from the stooly mist.  

JVM261
Reply to warrior

Here is a link to what I use:

https://products.coloplast.us/coloplast/ostomy-care/brava/brava-tape/brava-elastic-tape/brava-elastic-barrier-strips--straight/

A friend who also has a bag and dexterity issues recommended them, and I guess her doctor recommended them for her because her insurance covers them. I wish Hollister made some thing like this. I don’t know if they do? Again, I cut each strip into three strips.

lyndaj

I use the  2 piece Hollister.  What I also use, which I think are a godsend, are the Ostomy Flushable Pouch Liners.  They are a fine plastic bag which fits inside the pouch.  When change needed,  just pull it out and flush down the toilet.  Insert another liner.  No need to clean the pouch which lasts for a few weeks. Change pouch when it gets ratty looking.  I also wash around the flange around the stoma with a wet rag at each change of liner.  When applying a new flange, I apply Adapt paste around the hole for the stoma and rarely have leakage.

Jane doe
Reply to warrior

I use a 2 piece holister and I use summers eve douche bottles to irrigate my bags after emptying, I also soak older bags I hot water with a dash of color ox, soak over night and hang to dry in laundry room, I keep 4or 5 cleaned used bags by my toilet and  it’s like a diaper change, makes my supply’s last much longer and they never leak,  I have been doing this for almost a year and no leaks , had a few after my surgery in April of 23, this is a learning thing trying different  products, but no more leaks for me since using the holister barrier strips around my wafer, this is a great site for those of us with this new way of life, going to become a member!!

Jane doe
Reply to JVM261

Holister does have these , I use them!

Doe1mama
Reply to JVM261

I do my husbands as he had a stroke a while back. We used to clean around the flange as well, but started to think it was part of the reason for having leaks. Now we put water in from the bottom and swish around to loosen stool. That plus lubricating deodorant seems to be helping.

Doe1mama
Reply to JVM261

I do my husbands as he had a stroke a while back. We used to clean around the flange as well, but started to think it was part of the reason for having leaks. Now we put water in from the bottom and swish around to loosen stool. That plus lubricating deodorant seems to be helping.

JVM261
Reply to Jane doe

Really? What is the number on the box? I will look it up. Thanks.

JVM261
Reply to Doe1mama

Yes, I’ve heard a tattoo water bottle is very helpful for putting water into the bag and I have been thinking about getting one.

Beachboy
Reply to JVM261

Bag also known as a pouch.

As Shakespeare once wrote:

A stoma by any other name, would be just as sweet

Yats
Reply to aTraveler

Same! I also have found that if I put some baby oil under the inside lip of the wafer where bag connects…. This keeps faces from sticking under it so bad and creating a smell. I use 2 piece Hollister as well! 

rlevineia

I always wore a 2 piece.  The flange or wafer should last 4+ days.  Everyone is different.  Convetec & Hollister say do not go a week.  I tried & my peristomal skin got raw.  Used Hollister for 3 yrs, best pouch on the market,  Easy to strafe it out & no poopy fingers.  However, poor flange can leak & weaken with sweat, water or wear.  Convetec flange seats/seals better.  However their pouch is a pain to empty, but very durable.  Poopy fingers.  As per Eric the Vegan Osteomate;.  Put 2 tiny drops of machine oil in the slot of the pouch.  I use the bottom of a q-tip to spread it around.  Always wipe excess off contact surfaces or its may leak/disconnect.  It snaps closed easier.  I cannot snap Coloplast closed. & their pouch is the hardest to empty.  I tried one piece, meh.

rlevineia
Reply to Beachboy

Alas, poor colon.  I knew him well.

rlevineia
Reply to Jane doe

Agree. Hollister bags are the easiest to empty, but disintergrate quickly, from wear & tear.  I used to put warm H20 in the pouch, to losen thick output.  My Ostomy nurse told me to stop.  It can make the loosened poop leak under the flange.

auburngrrl
Reply to warrior

Just from my novice perusing? The best feature about the closed bag is the SIZE-it can be MUCH smaller than a drainable one. If you have an active day planned, don’t expect to have a lot of output during that time, and/or need to wear something tighter than normal….i can see the benefits.