Skin protection wipes

Replies
Views
BobbiesZoo

I haven't used these yet.  I was told just to clean with warm water and dry thoroughly, as other things will leave a film that might make the ring not seal.

So, will the skin wipes do that or are they ok to try?

I am finding out since I joined here that I didn't get the best information on how to care for this dang thing from the hospital.  Frustration mounting.😢

aTraveler

It is hard to answer not knowing what wipes and appliance you are using. I have had no problem with Esenta Skin Barrier Wipes and ConvaTec wafers. Similarly no problem with SurePrep Protective wipes and Hollister wafers -- I'm sure Hollister also makes skin prep for their wafers. Skin prep is not strictly necessary but I always use it. The Esenta Skin Barrier Wipe also is an adhesive remover in addition to prepping the skin. Coloster recommends not to add any skin prep for their wafers. As everyone's skin/anatomy is different there is no surefire answer, you will have to experiment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Usually barrier film is used if your peristomal skim is irritated or damaged.  

I have a colostomy.  Use Hollister 2 piece system.  I use barrier spray, then a barrier wipe with each wafer change. 

Barrier wipes are also used with stoma powder for a technique called "crusting."  Used on damaged skin.  Put stoma powder on damaged skin, brush off excess.  Then Dab with barrier wipe over powder.  Let dry.  Repeat a couple more times. 

Don't use regular soap to clean skin around stoma.  Use soap that doesn't have fragrance, lotions, or color.  I use Cetaphil, works real well.  

Keep asking questions on this site.  Soon you'll be an expert.

BobbiesZoo

Thanks, I have the Hollister two piece and Hollister wipes as well.  Will give them a try next change.  My skin is irritated around there.

I use the powder to highlight the ring bits and get those all off with the adhesive remover.

AlexT
Reply to BobbiesZoo

If your skin is irritated, use the barrier wipes. Stoma powder is for helping dry out irritated spots. So, put some powder on the irritated area, get/blow the excess off( I use the powder bottle itself to do that), dab the irritated area with a wipe to moisten the powder area, let dry. Repeat if you want. Let everything dry well before applying your new setup. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
JVM261

I love the large no sting safe n simple barrier wipes. If it’s an irritation,  use the powder for stoma yes. If it’s fungal get nyamyc powder from stoma nurse.

TerryLT

Hi Bobbie,  I still swear by what my hospital ostomy nurse preached, which is 'less is more'.  Don't use anything on your peristomal skin unless you are having a skin problem.  Clean, dry skin is the best surface for your appliance to adhere to.  You of course need some kind of wipe or spray to remove your old flange, but then as long as your skin is healthy, plain natural soap and lots of water to rinse, is all you need.  Just make sure your skin is as dry as possible before applying new flange.

Terry

Kimmy050263

I have not found the barrier wipes particularly helpful, but my boyfriend does wipe with it before replacing my bag.  What I have found most helpful is Domeboro powder, which was recommended to me from someone here.  I mix the powder in warm water, my boyfriend wipes and wipes and wipes.  He than dries it off with a gauze pad, than we set a blow dryer on the cool setting.  My last bag lasted me 4 days with nary a sign of a leak!  I will say, since I started the Domeboro that my belly is much less red and irritated!

I did not like the stoma powder.  Found that it affected the adhesion of my bag.  Stoma nurse had told us to only use the stoma if you have a skin opening, but she did not instruct on how to use.  I did have raw spot a few weeks ago, boyfriend applied some neosporin and a small piece of a gauze pad.  Next change was totally cleared up.  

For me, I think we are learning less is more.  

JVM261
Reply to Kimmy050263

If you try the Powder again you have to make sure that you wipe off the excess but some people don’t like it but me I couldn’t go without it. I have irritation on the bottom. I think with And ileostomy it’s common. There is another company that is not Hollister that is very popular and they told me not to use the powder and they said that their products don’t need the powder and I’m just like I can’t imagine. I mean, the powder has made a difference for me to the point where I thought I was gonna go mad and I still have days where I feel like that but for me it has taken away so much of the pain of the acid burn, but different strokes for different folks as they say.

Kimmy050263
Reply to JVM261

I am finding as I go through this journey that everyone is so very different.  You learn as you go.  Boyfriend and I seem to be on a roll with what we are doing. He says my belly is looking the best he has seen it since my journey began.  Suggestions here have had us try things, trial and error.    So love this site!  So many helpful tips and suggestions!