Swimming with a Urostomy: Tips for Holiday Pool Time

Replies
Views
jannaspring
Mar 09, 2024 4:04 pm

Hey gang

I have a urostomy, 6 months post-op, and the best thing health-wise ever! We've just booked a holiday and are wondering how it works with swimming on holiday. If I need to change after every dip in the pool, that's a ton of stuff to have to take, or is it best to do a change once finished in the pool for the day? I know it seems like a stupid question, but I'm a newbie.

Thanks, Jo

Beachboy
Mar 09, 2024 5:10 pm

Go to the search window in your internet browser. Input: swimming ostomy aide. Lots of websites with advice will be returned.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Earth Angel
Mar 09, 2024 5:29 pm

Hi Jannaspring,

You can go in the water without having to change the appliance every time, however, the longer you're in the water, the sooner you'll need to change it. When I go on vacation and in the water, I usually need to change it after about three days. Bring extra supplies, but you'll be able to tell once you've gone in. If the barrier shows signs of loosening up, then you'll know to change. Go have fun and not worry too much. Just keep an eye on it. Good luck and enjoy your holiday!!! 😇

infinitycastle52777
Mar 09, 2024 6:00 pm

You can buy barrier extenders if your barrier loosens up from being in the water. I swim at the Y for an hour at a time and have never had an issue where I have had to change my appliance after. You can also wear a wrap to feel more secure in the water.

Lee