Traveling with Medical Needs - Packing Tips and Advice?

Replies
Views
Ewesful

My first trip since the surgery is coming up -- I will be flying to visit friends - I have the blue card thing and will present that -- what do you pack in the bag and do you put it through the machine?? I need a small water bottle and all the stuff as you know--- Any ideas, suggestions would be deeply appreciated as I will be traveling alone. Thank you!!

Primeboy
Hi Ewe. I have been fortunate to have traveled a lot nationally and overseas since my surgery without any ostomy-related problems. Here are some tips apart from the general guidelines TSA provides. Make sure you keep some ostomy supplies in your carry-ons since luggage can get lost. All carry-ons go through the machine. I am not sure about small scissors, but again, check the TSA guidelines. You can bring a large bottle of water on board, but you will have to purchase it after you pass through screening. Don't eat before takeoff because your stoma may be very busy at a time you are unable to leave your seat. Also, empty your bag before landing because your plane might run into extended delays reaching the terminal. Finally, UOAA has good travel tips at this URL:
http://www.ostomy.org/ostomy_info/travel_tips.shtml Good luck!
PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Verdun
Hello Ewsful

I travel a lot and I use one of the see-through bags from the airport to put my lotions and powders in. Not scissors cut your pouches previously. They are pretty good at customs if you carry a medi card with you. Carry plenty as you may be delayed. Try and get a seat near a loo. Take a couple of spare underwear just in case. You won't have many problems. Have a good and safe flight.
ladydi53

How long is the flight? I had a six-hour flight and a trick from another site said to eat marshmallows. They slow down the colon movement without causing blockage. I didn't notice any problem with output after I got to my destination. I have a nice little bag that I got from Convetec, that is designed to hold supplies. I used this in my carry-on and put more supplies in regular luggage. Enjoy your trip.

2emptyit

Another item to consider adding to your travel kit are pouch seals. It's a new product that you can use to seal your pouch if you have to change it during the flight or in the airport. You can snap the seal on the pouch and there is no odor or leakage and you can drop it in the trash without worrying about it. They are being sold online at www.ostosolutions.com. They work great, are easy to use, and seal the odors better than a ziplock bag.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vikinga
Last year, I flew and took trains for the first time after surgery. I did some research, and both airlines and the train allowed for an extra carry-on bag for free as long as it was medical supplies. Only one person asked to look inside to confirm. I say, why waste precious luggage allowances if you can have this for free! Also, a great trick an airport porter shared with me was to finish your water bottle before going through security, then fill it up for free at the water fountain on the other side.
By the way, because of your medical "condition," you can actually get on the plane during the pre-loading. Avoid getting jostled and your bag pushed on by other travelers by accident.

As for accidents, I had none, but I carry a couple of paper towels with me to help curb leaks just in case. My biggest fear was having a bad leak while on the train. It's bad enough trying to sit on the toilet with all that rocking and rolling... can you imagine?!
As for quick, cheap bag disposal, I use dog poop pick-up bags from the Dollar Tree. You can even double bag if it makes you feel better. No fuss, no odor.
Have a great trip!
Lisbett