Learned a lesson - Barrier wipes

Replies
Views
Nini4

Today is bag change day. We'll, I woke up late and was rushing this morning. I use a Hollister 2 piece system, and have never had any issues,until today. The entire area of the fabric base was really bothering me all day. Felt sore with a burning itch. Never have had that feeling before. Well I got home today and in my bathroom on the sink was the barrier wipe I always use, but today with rushing I forget that step.  It clicked in my head, and I took everything off and my skin area from the stoma to where the fabric ended was bright red. Ouch!  I let it breathe for a bit and then used a barrier powder and made sure to crust with a wipe. I'll never make that mistake again! I can't believe how quickly my skin was irritated.  Hopefully the powder and the crusting do the trick. A reminder to slow the heck down, and pay attention to what I am doing. 

Lesson learned!

amkevergreen

...Greetings!....

...You're Spot On about that there Barrier Wipe step....!!!!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,540 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler

I have often been tempted to skip steps when in a rush. I have to remind myself that the steps are there for a reason. Your post reinforces the fact that you should not skip steps whether intentional or unintentional. By experimenting we found the steps to prevent leaks and protect the stoma and skin surrounding it, therefore it makes no sense to disregard any of the steps. Thanks Nini for the reminder.

AlexT

With a reaction that fast, you may have an allergic reaction to the sticky stuff and the barrier wipe has been hiding that fact. 

amkevergreen
Reply to AlexT

😂😂😂😂😂..... was waiting for Joseph Goebbels to show up with his anti-barrier wipe propaganda again....

Barrier Wipe Film protects against many issues....do not leave home without it!!!

That is ALL....

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to amkevergreen

Not anti barrier wipe, just pointing out the fact that getting a reaction that fast with no output getting on it, it may be something more and the barrier film is protecting the skin from it right now. And if you wanna call me a WW2 Nazi, that’s your choice. Have a lovely day. 

Jayne
Reply to AlexT

Good point

J

PS

Nini4,

It may be worthwhile sticking on a new appliance on the oppositie side of the abdomin to check - and if necessar revising what brand/ model of appliance is used?

BW

Jayne

Hisbiscus

Yep whenever we miss a step or eliminate a step thats working...we sure do learn a lesson huh? 

Nini4
Reply to AlexT

A good thought.  Replacing the bag with the wipe has not caused issues,  but I didn't think to try it without the wipe on my other side. At least I will have more information!

Beachboy

I use 3M Cavilon spray.  Takes 20 seconds to spray around my stoma pal.  Wave the wafer bag to dry it.  Litterly 2 minutes work.  

I get irritation at the bottom of my wafer fabric tape.  It's from my pants scrunching my belly fat up against the wafer, when I sit or drive my car.  Bottom of my stoma peristomal skin always is irritated because of this too.  I'm trying to lose some weight, but so far my love of eating outweighs my desire of irritation free skin.  Final score:  Food 1  Stoma 0.

AlexT
Reply to Beachboy

I have the half ring irritation thing too from my ab muscles 👀 rubbing against my belt.  itches a little sometimes but nothing bad

amkevergreen
Reply to AlexT

...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.....  NOT calling you a WWII Nazi.....  Goebbels was a propagandist spread false information to the point of fact....

Now you switched rhetoric about Barrier Wipes from a previous posting....

Barrier Wipe film is necessary for the prevention of many issues with Ostomy Systems---INCLUDING "long-term systems" whatever THAT is.... Alex for a $100....

ALL my days are lovely Sir!

AlexT
Reply to amkevergreen

Propagandist for the Nazi Third Reich political party, making him a Nazi. Him and his wife also killed themselves along with their 6 kids with poison if my memory serves me correctly. I’ve never harmed a soul, so I guess I failed to be a true Goebbels…sorry. 

Beachboy
Reply to AlexT

At first I couldn't figure out why I always had irritation at the bottom of my stoma.

Once I figured it out... now I just live with it.

amkevergreen
Reply to AlexT

....Yah...you stick to that propaganda and maybe it will become true....1945 vs 2024....  what you do in 2024 giving false information about Barrier Wipe Film then recant the claims from another posting... that's a propagandist....

Barrier Wipe Film is very effective 100% of the time for all systems.....  claiming barrier film is not really necessary may not have "harmed a soul" but has put a rash, sore, or itch on on some's skin... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

AlexT
Reply to amkevergreen

You look up barrier wipes on any publicly available site you want and post what it says on when/how to use it, if it has adhesive ingredients like you stated etc. 

amkevergreen

..... Oh cheese and crackers all muddy Alex for $100 .... Hollister - Coloplast - Convatec websites say nothing negative about the use of Barrier Wipe Film but encourage it 100%..... Barrier film is NOT an adhesive but gives a nice protective surface for the adhesive to stick to on the barrier...

It seem the the only concern is whether film is water/alcohol base and layer on top of stoma powder, which I recommend you do several times with stoma powder in between over a wound to help heal as this process is called "crusting"...

I my opinion the consummate Authority on this matter are the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurse's and NOT Alex for $100.....

nice try propagandist...

Nini4

Hey all, I appreciate everyone's opinions and replies. We are all different and have different experiences. What I don't appreciate is the mudslinging and name calling. We as a community, we are better than that. Thanks everyone.  

amkevergreen
Reply to Nini4

....All my days are wonderful and so should yours....  a spade is a spade and always will be so ..... 👃👃👃👃