Medicine for Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis?

Replies
Views
Mjtynan

I have Crohn's disease and I am currently taking Remicade for it to heal. I was just wondering what kind of medicine you guys are taking for Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis?

Gus

I was taking all of them, sulfasalazine, prednisolone (bastard drug), Imuran, mercaptopurine, Remicade, and the other IV drug. I can't remember. But now that they removed all my plumbing, I just take Imuran when I get a flare-up.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,429 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello there sweet man.... It was so great meeting you and sharing a chat the other night.
You are another shining example of the best our future holds!!!

I have taken it all at one time or the other, last being Remicade, but by grace........ I take nothing for Crohn's now. I developed pancreatitis about 5 years back (with an unknown etiology), so they took me off all my meds, and I just never started back.

I do take (1) Ativan for sleep, a blood pressure pill (compliments of past steroid use), and a coated baby aspirin every night. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope you're doing well and look forward to catching you online again sometime, okay?
BEG

Past Member
Hi,
I take Humira, and I really don't want to take it, but it's working. I had been on Asacol for a very long time (until my surgery in 11/09), 6-Mercaptopurine, also Imuran/azathioprine, prednisone, etc. Never had the Remicade. But I'd like to get off the Humira just because of the "warnings" it has on it. I actually was off for 1-1/2 mos. just recently due to the fact I developed shingles on my forehead. Can't do the sulfa drugs as I have an allergy.

Anyone else on Humira? And for how long have you taken it? Just wondering?
YorkshireGal

Hi... I've been on Humira for 3 years now. I too didn't like the look of the side effects, but I've not done too bad. This drug has really helped with the Crohn's arthritis. Certain drugs suit certain people.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
banshie3by5

Of all the meds, Remicade worked best for me. No side effects, put me into remission and kept me there. Unfortunately, I lost the insurance that paid for it. Flagyl works well to quell flare-ups.

The pill meds all have side effects for me. Pentasa tore me up and exacerbated the Crohn's (5-ASA med). Humira made me look like shit and feel like shit. I recovered within months of stopping it, but my liver was permanently damaged a smidge.

That's why these diseases are such a pain....no one med works for everybody. Just keep trying. Good luck.

Marcella

Bluezz

The only drug I have not been on is Humira, but I am on Cimzia as of now.
I recently explored a drug called LDN..Low Dose Naltrexone. It has been around forever. It was and is mainly used to block the opioid receptors of an alcoholic @ 50mg to help them get off the alcohol. Off-label use for Crohn's and other diseases @ 4.5mg has shown improvement. The kicker to this drug is no side effects like those of immune suppressing drugs we all know and hate because of the side effects, short term and long term, to the rest of our bodies! They say people tend to lose sleep and have vivid dreams the first week.
I will be starting this treatment this week. It is not a suppressing drug, in fact, it raises the immune system. I figured after 20+ years of suppressing my system, why not try building it?
The site, if you are interested, is...www.lowdosenaltrexone.org
I agree everyone is different with their response to medications for CD.

KEMiColon

I've been on pretty much everything. Humira, Remicade, Cimzia. You name it, I've been on it. Remicade worked for a long time, but stopped after a while. For now, it looks like my ostomy may be the final fix, which sorta bites. It's hard as a 19-year-old to explain to dates just what it is. Haha.