Colonoscopy through stoma: Experiences and pain level?

Replies
Views
jem

Hi there, in a fortnight's time I'm due to have a colonoscopy through my stoma. I'm scared stiff! Has anyone else had this recently? And will it hurt afterwards? I am only going to spend one night in the hospital.

Past Member

Heh, you said fortnight.

A scope through the stoma should be no big deal, a same-day procedure, but you'll likely need a ride home.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dsmithsc91

Definitely no big deal. I had them give me minimal sedation on my last one and watched on a monitor. It was pretty cool.

DH

Hi Jem, I just had a colonoscopy through my stoma. I was sedated and didn't feel a thing during or after the procedure. But yes, you will definitely need a ride home. Because you will feel a bit tipsy from the sedative. Donna

mooza

Have to say, don't worry. You will feel nice and dreamy! And get an answer to what's going on with you. Watching it would be very cool...

I had the PILL cam twice and watched my bowel on a computer screen. Weird! ...Please get that drive home. Good luck, Mooza.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Welshman

I had one before Christmas. They asked if I needed any sedation. But I didn't bother. There was a few seconds discomfort when the scope reached the top of my colon. Nothing much. On the way home, my Mrs took me clothes shopping. Now that's what I call painful.

dandare

Hi Jem, like everyone says here...don't fret at all. I've had two and neither caused any problem as I was sedated. But just remember to have someone take you home and you'll be just fine. I do hope all goes well and take good care, Colm

ron in mich

Hi Mooza, love your new pic! You rock, Ron in mic.

rey21
Hi Jem,

The one thing I can add to the others is to be prepared to replace your pouch yourself. I was told that the OR Nurses would replace my pouch, so I gave them my replacement pouch assuming they knew what to do. They did the replacement while I was still unconscious. When I woke up and the bag was in place, it seemed okay. xmlo/o

Well, 2 days later my pouch felt so irritated that I removed it only to discover blistering under the seal. The nurses did not know how to apply the pouch.

It took me almost 2 weeks to heal from this situation.

All the best,

Ron
budd002

You will be fine. There are no nerves in your stoma, so you won't feel anything. If you have never seen your innards on TV before, try to stay a little coherent to see it on the monitor. It really is neat....

And yes, take a bag change with you, and if you are able, do it yourself or ask if an ET nurse can do it...

Good luck!

auntchelle4

In February, I had my colonoscopy and they did it through my stoma. It is not a problem. They asked me to bring an extra bag just in case. I felt fine afterwards. So don't worry.

ladydi53

I have had 3 colonoscopies through the stoma. I am due for another in May. Checkup for cancer. I have had no problem. In fact, I would rather have it through the stoma than rectum. I had mild sedation and was awake to see some of the scope in the colon. It was a bit fascinating. The inside of my colon was a bright baby pink. I saw the doctor snip a couple of polyps for biopsy. It was a good thing as they were the type that could grow into cancer. Just relax as it isn't that bad of a procedure. Take care and good luck.

skidder

Hey Jem, as all have stated, you are going to be fine. You are given meds, if you so desire, and la la land here you are! A stethoscope to me is better than the old 'up the hiney' way!! The bottom line (no pun intended) is you are having the test done so that's a brownie point (again no pun intended) in your favor. Oh, tell those who are at home with you that the doc said you can't clean toilets or wash dishes for 4 days!

amck

As it was before the stoma, the worst part of the whole process is the prep. For me, that was the most difficult. Just bring a fresh appliance and/or pouch, enjoy the nap and it will be over in no time... no pain!

rvhumbug

I have been getting scoped via the stoma for many years. After discussions with my GI doctor, the only prep I do is clear liquids for 24 hours and nothing to eat or drink after midnight before the procedure.
There is no pain and only minor discomfort. With a little anesthetic, you may not feel anything or may even be "out of it". I normally have the procedure about 9:00 AM and am on the way home by 11:00 AM.
I have been awake, no anesthetic, and watched the scope picture on a monitor, discussing what we saw with the doctor!
Don't worry too much about it. You should be fine.

amck

Luck you on the prep! I've had the procedure once since my surgery and the day before, I had to drink that God-awful liquid laxative. Of course, that meant using the same appliance as those who irrigate.....a mess! It would have been much easier if I only had to restrict myself to clear liquids. That's why the prep was the bad part for me!

susjs

Why are you all having colonoscopies? Do you still have part of your colon? I had enough colon left after the second surgery to make the stoma with, but the rest is gone. If anybody suggests a colonoscopy through the stoma I will go running screaming into the hills...too scary to even think about.

Susan

auntchelle4

My surgeon at Moffitt wanted me to have it done before I saw her. And since that is where my cancer was, my gastro dr suggested me to have one for the next 2 years.

DMJ123

I had it done for the first time in January as an outpatient... nothing to it..
I was so scared... of even the prep as didn't know what to expect..
No pain.. none at all..
Good luck .. it will be just fine.

fabulous50

I recently had this done and it was no big deal. It didn't hurt and I had it done the same day. You will be fine. Good luck.

lyricalaska

I've had it done and was given Versed prior to the procedure. It didn't hurt. The worst thing was the prep which made me sick (but that happens every single time I have to have the prep). I went home the same day ... had someone there with me to drive me home. I wasn't ill afterward and was able to eat what I wanted. You will be fine! Just make sure you are given Versed or some such other amnesic drug prior to the procedure!!
C

lyricalaska

I was on full liquids 2 days before the procedure and clear liquids the day before the procedure (colonoscopy). I had to drink a gallon of that stuff (yuck) and it did make me ill. As I stated before, the procedure was okay since I was sound asleep and if it hurt I have no clue as
versed as an amnesic so don't remember squat about the procedure. I do get anxious when I think of having another one but that's only because of the prep.

I am sure you will do fine.

jem

Thanks all, you've made me much more confident! I am having both, ... up the stoma, ... and up the rear end. I won't mind the la la land bit, also I've had at least 6 up back end with no ill effects, thanks again.

joe shenton

Hi Jem
You will send you some Kleen Prep washes the bowel out so they can see the
bowel properly
The colonoscopy is no big deal. I never have sedation. It takes about one hour, then they
take you to a ward. Have a cuppa and a sandwich. Half an hour later, you are on your way home.
Hope this has put your fears to rest.
Joe

OstomyRd

Not a problem. Had my colonoscopy done through my stoma for the last 7 years or so. No sedation necessary (though you may be different). Always like to see what's going on and my gastroenterologist is always willing to discuss what I see on the screen. Lots of fun!

John

Welshman
I didn't bother with sedation either. Being fully aware made it all very interesting. Like you, my doctor gave me a guided tour of my colon, with very little discomfort.