Who has traveled in China?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
PamSue

I am considering a trip to China and wonder if anyone can share experiences. I am concerned about sanitary conditions and the availability of appropriate toilet facilities for irrigation.
Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CALYPSO
Hi Pamsue, I have visited China 3 times, it is truly wonderful and awe-inspiring. I stayed in modern hotels, of course, the bathroom facilities were all one would expect from a 5-star hotel.
It's the day trips to places of interest that are the problem, I was forewarned to always carry toilet tissue and be prepared for a hole in the floor, without the privacy of doors.

I suggest you do whatever in your hotel and be ready for just about anything anywhere else.

Apart from all that, well worth the visit.

Regards, Angela.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ali_frett

Hi there, I spent a month in China, 3 weeks in Beijing and a week in Chengdu, both have McDonald's and Starbucks on every corner. You will find a western toilet there. Make sure when booking your hotel you ask specifically for a western toilet, and be careful with the amount of toilet paper you try to flush. Their infrastructure is not what we have in the West, and you will clog the toilet. Absolutely carry your own Kleenex or toilet paper with you. Have a wonderful trip. China is amazing.

PRIVACY
Hi Pam Sue,

I have traveled to Beijing and spent two weeks there doing all the sightseeing like the Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc. and did not find any problem. I have traveled all over Asia and actually live between Colombo, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. I am from Scotland, married to a Sri Lankan, and have had my ileostomy for 35 years and traveled all over the world with it, with the last 20 years being stationed in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The only thing that one has to make sure is that you always have toilet paper or Kleenex with you as some outlying areas don't have anything.

The other thing that did affect me sometimes was the extreme heat and if the humidity was very high as it at times it did have an effect on the sealing of the bag as your body temperature rises and sweating it softens the seal and there was a risk of leakage, but that was in extreme cases where the outside temperature was over 50 degrees Celsius. And of course, just make sure you carry plenty of supplies. Enjoy your trip, you will love it. China is a fascinating place and very much understated. But English is a problem in places.