A "What Is" Question

In this discussion
Replies
Views
geographia

What is irrigation? I've heard the word used many times and although I generally know what irrigation means, I haven't a clue when it comes to a colostomy. Strangely enough, I don't even feel stupid asking this question on the site.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Irrigation is a procedure that allows you to "clean out" your colon. It's a wonderful tool for ostomates who qualify. No more bag leaks, rushing about to find a private place to empty, etc. By irrigating, you can control your ostomy, rather than it controlling you. Here is a short video that describes the procedure in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14kbuw1fU8
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello geographia. The video is a good illustration of what it is and how to do it.  My stoma nurse suggested I wait at least 6 weeks after surgery before irrigating to allow for the stoma to settle.  I like this method for all the reasons on the video. With the bag method it 'felt like' I was in the toilet cleaning out the bag every five minutes and the thought of having to do that for the rest of my life was not appealing.  Like most things to do with equipment, it is worth trying out as many as possible to see what suits you. Personally I prefer the Dansac irridrain tube as it is longer and allows me to stand up without it drifting away from the toilet.  My sink is too far away so I have a little device that flushes water from the top of the tube so it cleans the stoma at the same time as washing the output away.  The hanging bag worked fine. Unfortunately I have a hernia behind the stoma which caused it to close up. So I devised a pressure device to pump the water under pressure passed the blockage rather than just letting it drain from the bag.  This has been working fine with no problems.  I would recommend irrigation to anyone who is able to use it. (people with colostomies) Check with your stoma nurse first.

Best of luck

Bill
jmagnus1
It's a great question. I found out about irrigation on the internet after my surgery 3 years ago. Nobody in the medical community told me about it. There are a couple of very important things:

- You must first clear it with your surgeon to determine whether or not you can/should irrigate.
- Hydration and exercise have a tremendous impact on the success of your irrigating.

Irrigation gives you your life back! I irrigate every other day. It takes between 1/2 hour and 1 hour. The result is that I never have anything in the bag I wear. In other words, I am always clean. It is a pain to do it but is oh so worth it if you can.
I would be happy to give you any information you need since I have been doing it since shortly after my operation.
Good luck!
Phantom
Hi Geographia,
Irrigation is great if you are medically allowed to carry out the procedure.
I have been irrigating since early 1984 (April) and have had no problems.
When I first started, it was every other day. But after consultation with my stoma nurse and doctor, I was allowed free rein to irrigate as I pleased, which means when on holiday, I put an hour a day aside to read in the bathroom and irrigate daily.
As I have a small stoma (25 mm), this allows me to wear a large-ish sticking plaster to cover my stoma during the day.
If you, or anyone, wants to try this - as most plasters are made of plastic - you need to cut a small slit at the top edge of the dressing part. This allows for wind escape (failure to do this WILL result in a balloon!).
Currently, I use large wound dressings from the pound shop. These are porous, so they allow the wind to escape freely. The only trouble with these is if you let a bit of a wet one out, you get a damp patch.
Ask your stoma nurse if there is anyone local to you who would be willing to talk to you personally about it. I have done this several times in S Wales and did a presentation to our meeting.
Best of luck - hope you get on with irrigating. It really does put you back in control.
Alun

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister