How to Manage Body Control When Going Out?

Replies
Views
dmanvman
Hello all,

Thank you again for anyone who has posted on my previous blogs. I appreciate the support and comfort knowing you are all out there and going through this lifestyle together.

I'd appreciate some feedback and some thoughts on how most of you prepare when you're going out. I have had an ileostomy my whole life and now, getting older and more social, I still cannot figure my body out haha. I don't really like using public restrooms or restrooms at friends' houses because of the odor and don't want to dampen the mood just because I used the bathroom. I have these odor drops I put in the toilet before going, but it doesn't completely cover the odor. I just wish I could figure out if I eat at this time, I'll have to go at this time, and this way better control when I'd have to go and prevent this problem. My body is still a strange mystery to me. Again, I'd appreciate any feedback, whether it be about masking the odor better to the point where it's almost nonexistent, or foods I can eat that I know won't have an odor at all, or just knowing when and what to eat and timing "the drop" so I'm not embarrassing myself just by using the bathroom. Thank you all very much.
rvhumbug

There are drops that can be used in the bag and pills that you swallow which will help control odor. Also, remember, everybody's shit smells. Yours is no different nor the worst of all. Go out, enjoy life, and learn to use whatever facilities are available.
I have lived 52 years with mine, starting when I was in high school. The only thing I try to avoid is bathrooms with no stall doors. Otherwise, anything goes, from airplanes to public toilets on the road or at the beach.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mildred Rank

I use M9 Odor Eliminator Drops from Hollister. They eliminate the odor almost completely.

kinder

I agree, the M-9 drops are the best odor control for the pouch, and there is also a product called Poo Pourri to spray in the toilet before you empty the pouch. With these two, you'll never have to worry again about odor.

Redondo
I have had my ileostomy for 40 years. A few years ago, I had a horrible odor problem that was almost like it was from a sewage plant and so strong that I could hardly live with myself. I asked for help on this website and a WOC Nurse recommended Nullo tablets that you take by mouth. They are charcoal tablets that you can even buy at CVS pharmacy. The tablets are used by hunters to eliminate body odor so that the animals don't smell them. I have found them to be perfectly safe and my doctor approved them. They work. You need to take them for a few days before they work. I get my supplies through Edgepark and they supply them as well as part of my supplies.
I have found Na Scent to be the best odor deodorant drops for the pouch. I used to use M9 drops but when I started with this problem, it was not strong enough for me. Na Scent deodorant drops work differently than other deodorizers. If you contact them, they will send you a free sample.
Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PatinPickering

DM by using the "courtesy flush", you flush early and often. Then, it's like Mike Myers said, "... light a match ..."!

kray

When going to friends/family's home or whenever I need to make sure there is no odor, I use
bismuth tablets, i.e., Pepto Bismol or generic equivalent. Available anywhere. There is totally no odor. Try it, they work.

Yancey

I have a colostomy, but it is almost always water, so I know what you're going through! If I pass a loud gas, I laugh and tell people "Fred" is talking. I have an ostomy and laugh it off! It so far has worked for me as far as strange sounds coming from me! LOL!

As far as the bathroom, I am an RN, so I have to go to the bathroom. I usually tell people to go now because I'm getting ready to empty my bag. I empty mine all day, and I've found the best spray is the citrus spray, but it still is not going to get rid of all the odor! Ours does smell worse than others because of the bacteria building up in the bag. That makes it smell so bad! But it's okay! Laugh about it and let everyone know about your ostomy, and you will find people will understand and get over the initial "shock" in no time. Good luck!! Yancey

Oh, if I'm in a public place, I just go and get out as soon as possible without saying a word!!!