Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,331 members

The Bag

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

New to tnis site and have noticed everyone  calls their appliance a "Bag".   Had my ileostomy in 1986.  My ET Nurse called it a pouch.  Think pouch sounds better & good for the morale.

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm

welcome to the site. there are several names for the flange also...

Reply by klark, on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Agree "bag" sounds kinda crude, pouch much better!! Also refer to mine as a "package" at times as corny as that sounds!! LOL

Reply by Heidi92, on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm

I agree with you!  People refer to themselves and their appliance in a very crude and gross way!! If we view ourselves that way society will too!  I have been grossed out many times on this site.  We have ostomies that doesn't mean we stink!!

Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 am

Mine is a Urostomy , known as " My Inflight refueling system " .....I can even do long range  , when connected to a night bag !!!

Reply by LadyHope, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:47 am

Whether is is pouch, bag, package or contraption, I wish the medical device companies would develop more attractive looking content containers.  Why can't they be somewhat stylish?  I can't imagine it costing any more money as the overall product would be the same.  Wouldn't it be nice to purchase a box of pouches that were light grey, light pink, light yellow to better yet a darker grey or blue?  Opaque is fine but so medical.  I have tried to dress up my pouch with a cover but I find covers too bulky and heavy. I also tried stickers and tape but they came unstuck and fell off.  A little flare goes a long way.....Coloplast, Hollister, Convatec.  Even the band-aid companies have different styles to select.  Thanks for listening and have a nice weekend.  LH

Reply by klark, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52 am

Nooooo pink LOL!!!

Reply by LadyHope, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:58 am

How about polka dots.  That would be a fun design.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Colorful pouches, that is a terrific idea. Never bought a cover, maybe they are bulky.  ET nurse gave me a pattern she drew from the pouch I wore. Very easy to make & can be made from soft knits or any soft fabric.  Trace around the pouch on paper  & cut 1/4 inches larger around for a seam.  Cut two from fabric.  On one cut a round hole the size of the flange.  ZigZag stich oround the hole.  Sew the pieces together, leaving an opening at bottom.  Zigzag stitch the opening.

Reply by mooza, on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 pm

seen em mines OPAQUE ALL GOOD

Reply by iMacG5, on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:18 am

There might be a fine line among crude, cute or funny in the ways we describe our appliances to other ostomates.  To others, I think dignity is the manner with which we should adress our situation since they're not our familiar comrads.  Bottom line, it is what it is and it's way more important how I feel about it. You know, "A rose by another name......."

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by Immarsh, on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:56 pm

I aggree with you completely!    "Bag" makes me think of "old bag", or bag lady.....   laughing  I have my ostomy for more than 50 years, and at first it was called an appliance, and believe me that's what it was, complete, with a metal hinge that locked the "pouch" to the rubber wafer.   That was the dark ages.  A friend of mine, named her "ostomy" George, and that's what she's called it for the same 40 years. 

I've used the word "Pouch" for more than 20 years....  But then a " rose by any other name".     My name is Marsha, and I haven't read your profile as yet, but look forward to doing so soon.   We're on the same page. 

Marsha

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi, good to hear from you. Removal of colon & ileostomy saved my life.  Was actually born again. I called my pouch "my buddy" Walked a lot to regain strength, was almost hyper.  Went back to work 2 weeks later. Husband was not that morning (truck driver) lied & told him I went shopping. The next day he knew. Did not fuss ar me much.  Took him a long time to realize that I was strong & healthy again, after so many years of caring for me, cooking, houswork,etc. & most of the time fed me. Four years after my surgery, he died of lung cancer. Lived a year after diagnosis.  What a loss.  Have two sons who are just like him.  Four years after his death, I remarried.  21 years & widow again.  Sometimes I want to buy another house & move away. Too soon to make changes, I know. My name is Lucile, please e-mail me again.

Lucile

Reply by Mary Ann, on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:10 pm

I actually prefer bag, everyone understands it with no euphimism, when I was 12 and my uncle had one it was bag, now that I am 62 and have one it is a bag. The word doesn't bother me

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

I think as Mike said, it is what it is, but perception is the picture others see with the words we use to describe things. I prefer pouch, sometimes I use the word gear but it depends on who I'm speaking to and what I am trying to have them see.

I have made some cloth covers but have grown out of the need to use them.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.