Stoma Site: Flat or Protruding?

Replies
Views
letsrock

Just curious for the colostomy folks on here. Is the area where your stoma is located flat like the rest of the stomach or do you have a hill or protruding round area?...........

AlistairC

Hey, Alistair here...

I had a big mound when I first got mine. It was so big I had a tough time getting the wafer to stay on. I called it my "Ostomy Boob". After I was done with my post-surgery chemo treatments, I had another surgery to flatten it out. It was a big hernia caused by the first surgery. My surgeon installed some mesh to help with future hernia problems... so far so good.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,692 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cc

Two years ago when the colostomy was done, it was flat. Now it has become an "ostomy boob". I am heading back to the US in about two weeks and will check with the doctor. I will report the findings.

letsrock

Mine never has been flat, sort of a small hill, went to have it checked out, not a hernia... per them, but not flat as promised...

Bill

Mine's always been a mound - I love the term "ostomy boob"

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mrs.A

My stomach hasn't been flat since my first pregnancy. Since the colostomy, it now looks like two distinctive halves of a once-round object. Kind of like one's backside

Newbie Dana

Amen, Mrs. A! I, too, have my backside on my front side after 2 C-sections, colon resection, and colostomy, all leaving scar tissue in the same area! Oh well, I just look at it as my "living life war medals"!