Grateful for Ostomates: Reflecting on 4 Years of Membership

Replies
Views
Primeboy

I just got my premium membership in Ostomates and I am starting my fourth year here. This transaction led me to reflect a bit on the value of this community to me personally.

I am sure many of you feel, as I do, that we are fortunate to have this supportive resource in our lives. I could write a list of benefits, but you already know them. I'll just say that the access I have to folks here and to their shared experiences and wisdom has made my life richer and maybe made me a better person.

I recently learned that another ostomy site is closing down. I would not want to wake up someday and find this site gone too. Membership here over the past three years has doubled for good reason, and I am happy to continue my support.

PB

lorraine-cooper1960

Hi PB, we are very lucky to have you as a member of this community. I have been thankful for the times you have replied or commented on my posts. Here's to another year, may it be kind to you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sherrybear

Hey PB, what have you been up to, my dear friend? Haven't been on in so long, I forgot how. Lol... I sent Zeppo a message a while back, but he said it came back??? I hope to send him one soon. I talk with Mooza all the time and, of course, my dear friend Gale. She and John are great. So, how is everything with you going? Good, I hope. I see you renewed, so did I, and you were saying another site was closing? Were you talking about Ostomyland? If so, I think they got a new administration and I think his name is Scott. I have talked to some people on there, but I really don't know what the site looks like, just answer from my phone. This is the first time I finally got on, and I'm on my tablet. I did see you are playing words again, ask Mr. Fir, I have gotten a lot better!!!!! Well, dear friend, I'm going to go. I think if I can, I'm going to try and get on Friday. Will you be on and Zeppo??? I will call Mooza and tell Gale and John, and maybe we could have some fun... till then, take care... Sharon

sherrybear

This site has been a blessing for me, for when I got my ostomy I thought I was the only one with it, then I found this site and some very good people that help me. PB I'm with you. I don't know where I would go if this one disappeared. That would be scary...

Primeboy

Thank you all for your comments. Without this site, none of us would know each other. Some of the folks who were once regular chatters often pop into the General Chat room on Friday nights around 11 PM. Zeppo is usually there and still gives out points for witty or profane comments. Maybe I might see you there. Let's hope another year is kind to all of us...John

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
lorraine-cooper1960

Hi PB, I have often tried to join the online conversations but unfortunately, I don't know what has happened to my metabolism. I can't say I'm in hibernation as it is a very hot summer here. I think it is the fentanyl that I'm on (at least I hope so, LOL). I will continue to try, but I always enjoy the posts and banter. Bye for now.

Gabie68413

Hi everybody, I'm brand new here, just registered tonight... excited to have found you all!

Primeboy

A thousand welcomes, Gabie.

Gabie68413

Thank you :o)

dcrazy

Hey Prime. I haven't been on much as of recently, but have seen some of your posts from time to time. You are an asset to the site and your participation. Good day! - Rick Bitty

zeppo

There goes the neighbourhood LOL! I renewed my membership as well because of special friends like Prime, Kmedup, Sh, Gail, Sherrybear, LW, Gail, Terry, Charlie, etc. All of these fine people were there for me when I first became a member here. Humour has always been a way for me to break the ice, so to speak, and help those who are a little apprehensive about talking about certain problems they are dealing with. Once I feel that you are accepting our invitation, you will not find a nicer cross section of people anywhere. Yes, I love to give points as John mentioned for witty comebacks, humorous shots at profanity, all in good fun. Once I have everyone contributing, then you realize why we look forward to Friday nights. I feel that this site has more good people than you can shake a stick at. In closing, because I do tend to ramble on, I would welcome with open arms every new member who is feeling awkward about coming into the chat room. You will be amazed at how much fun you'll have and how relaxed we will make you feel. Who knows, maybe you'll be the one that will score the most points. We also applaud loudly if you do. See you hopefully in the room, your pending good friend Zepp.

texnana

I'm new here tonight. I had my colostomy on January 16, 2014. It's all still so new for me, and I hope I can learn from you with more experience.

lorraine-cooper1960

To everyone who is new, welcome! You will meet some wonderful people and make lifelong friends. I am not on the site much at the moment due to health problems, but I will be back in the saddle soon. So, I will say adieu for now.

Primeboy

Hi Vdahl. You recently asked what motivated folks to join MAO or what were their expectations for joining. I found this 3+ year old discussion thread which catalogues some great responses from old friends, some of whom have moved on in life. You might find it helpful as you get answers to your question.
PB

Angelicamarie

Hi Primeboy, I joined the site in Nov 2016, seeking support and found much more!!! Actually, I found some whom I have never met, but feel like family. Each day, you learn something new, you get support, and new-found friendship. I really wouldn't want to think of this site closing. It would be a great loss to me!! Angelicamarir

CharK63

Hi,
I love it! Sounds like a lot of fun. Can't possibly be going on Friday nights like that, is it?
Alas, I have failed at getting on chat, try as I may. I see myself listed as online, but I've never even observed the chat room. I am not a paid member, is that why I can't get on? Sorry, but I am unable to pay membership fees. I do so love the site, and I've made many new friends here. I would be disappointed if it shut down as well. Should we thank our sponsor, Coloplast?
Charlotte

Primeboy

Clark, some of us show up regularly Thursday nights at 10 EST now, instead of Fridays. All are welcome.
PB

iMacG5

Hey John, there was a time when I relied so heavily on our communication and you never let me down. I learned so much from you and hope I expressed my appreciation appropriately. Hope you're well and can feel all the warm gracious wishes coming your way. Sincerely, Mike

Primeboy

Wow. Look at all these years that have passed since I renewed my membership on a "for life" basis. I still come here weekly to chat with old friends and make a few new ones. As these years passed, I met a wonderful ostomate who is, in addition to everything else, a Jersey Girl. In time we made a life for ourselves together. I will always be grateful to MAO for providing an opportunity for this to happen.

iMacG5

Always a treat to hear from you, John.
Congratulations! May you and your Jersey Girl feel all the happiness you wish for.
Sincerely,
Mike

Primeboy

It's been another year this June (2021) and my Jersey girl and I are as happy as ever. We found a way to get through COVID and are now planning some wonderful times ahead together. One of our next adventures is a Riverboat cruise up the Mississippi from NO to Memphis. MAO sharing and contacts have made me recognize that life is beautiful and worth living. I wish all our ostomates good health and happiness forever.

iMacG5

Wow! What a surprise! So good to hear from you, John. Always good to hear from all our AOL folks. We sometimes reference the power in numbers but, in my humble opinion, the synergy of our group translates to numbers I can't comprehend. I guess it starts with really caring for each other and grows with the wisdom we share from our own experiences.
Thanks for stopping by.
Sincerely,
Mike

bwbeecham

You're very fortunate. I haven't had the same experience. I reached out for support and that turned out to be a lost cause. Happy to hear people boast about how much the site helps them. For me, it's a lost cause.
I don't find the people friendly on this site. I reached out with some questions about my ostomy and never got 1 reply.

Primeboy

Sorry to hear your experience on this site has been less than positive. I do not visit this site now as much as I used to years ago, but I do stop by in General Chat weekly hoping to run into old (and new) friends. You might want to consider starting your own blog on a related issue that is important to you. If that does not prove helpful, this site has kept years of great posts under specific topics. Someone years ago might have provided the information or support you need. Check around and good luck.

iMacG5

Hi Bw. Like PB, I too am so sorry you haven't experienced the sincere goodness of so many wise, caring folks on this site. I believe we've attempted to answer everyone's questions; sometimes, just to show how smart we are. Just kidding.
Give us another shot and I think you'll feel differently.
Respectfully,
Mike