New Vent Design: Gluing for Improved Durability

Replies
Views
letsrock

I am always hearing that the vent in most pouches (including my own) only lasts maybe a day before they become clogged. Thought I would try something new.....there is a small space on the Hollister pouch near the top of the flange......took some glue and glued it together, so now the vent is open to the sides and not directly into the pouch.......so far seems to be working...!

Irjosh

I'd like to see that. Sounds like a good idea. Do you have a pic? My vent seems like it never works. The doctor got me a gas pill which helps, but I still vent my bag at least 3 times a night.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I use tape. What kind of glue?

letsrock

Seems to be working great, on the 2nd day, no burping. I don't have any pictures....yet. Basically the vent is in the back side of the pouch, when you lay it flat on a table, the flange edge is about a 1/4 of an inch below the vent.....I just put some Gorilla glue in that space, which closes off the bottom edge of the space below the vent, gluing it to the front side of the pouch, stopping anything from creeping in....the sides are still open to the pouch on each side allowing the gas to escape......

Irjosh

I'm a Land Rover mechanic, so I'm gonna give this a try! LOL. Thanks

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill

Hello letsrock. That sounds like a great idea. I would suggest contacting Hollister R&D department as they are always looking to improve their products and if they took it up it would benefit everybody that has experienced this problem.

Best wishes

Bill 

Nicky-T

K, so how the heck do you get the glue in without getting into places where you don't want it to go? Toothpick?

Thanks,

NT

letsrock

The glue bottle has a pointed head. Lay it down flat on a countertop. I just lay down a small bead of glue just below the vent, then flatten it out, pushing the glue away from the vent and lay something on it until it dries. Next try is with a clear silicone. It will be a little more flexible than glue.

letsrock

Bill, what would really work well is some of the liner material in that space that is folded like an accordion....as you moved it could unfold and expand...sitting it would be flat..all the time blocking the stuff that clogs the vent, while leaving the two ends/sides open as an escape route.....just an idea

Bill

The accordion design sounds like it's worth a try. It's great to think that there are still those of us out there who will experiment  just for the fun of it  - as well as achieving  some potentially functional outcomes occasionally.

Best wishes

Bill