Ileostomy vs. Colostomy: Output and Care Differences?

Replies
Views
HardTimes

I've heard a colostomy output is less watery, but that's about it. Anyone knowledgeable on this?

maddie50322

Yes, typically it is. Because the large intestine absorbs all the water from stool, and since a colostomy is part of the large intestine, part of your large intestine is still being used. However, after a few months or so, usually your output from an ileostomy slows down and becomes a bit more thick as your body adjusts.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HardTimes

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification...do you know about the difference in terms of gas? I had an ileostomy two times, and the bag was always blowing up even when I limited gassy foods...it was so irritating because obviously that is easily seen by others even when I would wear baggier clothes. I may end up with a permanent colostomy, so that's why I'm asking these questions...I'm hoping bags for a colostomy will not blow up as much and be less likely to leak (probably due to it being less watery hopefully) when trying new foods. Even after months of an ileostomy, changing bags often, emptying, and taking Imodium, I would still get the occasional leak when I tried new foods.

Loopylou1502

I too am interested in the differences. My surgeon wants me to have a permanent colostomy now. I had my loop ileostomy for 11 months now, so I'm only just coming to terms with everything. So, I'm not sure what to do.

iMacG5

Hey folks, though we might have become experts with our ostomies we typically had only one or the other.  Just trying to understand the digestive process it seems like ileostomies would produce more liquid than colostomies.  Like Maddie wrote, the colon absorbs liquid and, if our food doesn't get to the colon, we'll dump more liquid.  

I think an ostomy nurse would be able to give very accurate comparisons.

Mike

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
maddie50322

I am not sure in terms of gas if a colostomy is less from personal experiences. I know with my ileostomy gas is a big issue for me and my bag balloons a few times a day. And when I have a leak, it is because gas fills my pouch up entirely and it breaks the seal around the wafer. I also know that from what I have been told since the colon still holds gas, you will produce gas through your colostomy. And it can be more depending on what you ate and how much air you have swallowed.

Past Member

I'm a high mount with a small intestine. I use one piece with you, a charcoal filter as long as I don't get it wet. I don't drink soda or liquor, just V8 water. Only if I eat salads, then I blow up. Try to get veggies in liquid form so no biogas. I have very small to no gas, but I eat one time a day. I eat granola by the truckload with juice smoothies and some cannabis. Hope you do well. Jerz.

gratefulcancerfree

I had a temporary ileostomy for 4.5 years, then 6 months ago I had it taken down and had creation of a permanent colostomy. I am very pleased with my colostomy, I use 2 closed bags per day and it's much easier to maintain. I don't notice a huge difference with gas, that may be more tied into what you eat and how your own body works. And yes, the output is formed and much less watery than the ileostomy.

kbd

I have had a colostomy for 6 years, and an ileostomy for 1 year. The output is definitely different. More liquid output with an ileostomy, bag needs to be emptied a bit more frequently. Wafer tends to not last quite as long. I would get about 6 days wear of a wafer with colostomy. About 4 days with an ileostomy. I did not have to change my setup going to an ileostomy, only cut my wafer a bit smaller, and no longer use a barrier wipe right next to the stoma or I'm prone to leaks. I like that the ileostomy almost never makes any noise compared to the colostomy. You will need more fluid and salt intake with an ileostomy.

Hope that helps.