Embracing a New Life: My Journey with a Colostomy - Surgery Moved Up!

Replies
Views
Bearably50

I was scheduled for surgery on the 30th, but got a call yesterday asking if I wanted to move up into an opening on the 16th. Of course, I accepted. So happy to get on with it and start my new life with a colostomy. Living without the embarrassment, pain, and suffering I have endured for the past 2 1/2 years will be such a relief. I am ready for all my new and exciting endeavors. Wish me well!

vdahl

Good for you! Wishing you the very best for a great recovery... You've got this!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Thanks for sharing and of course we wish you well! and a quick recovery.

Bill

Past Member

Best of luck to you. You'll do fine!

ron in mich

Good luck, and be sure to tell the surgeon for your stoma to be at least one inch long for better drainage.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
labjano

Be patient and once you're healed, life will be so much better. I've had an ileostomy for 31 years due to Crohn's disease. I travel and snorkel every chance I get. Good luck!!

Mrs.A

Good luck and when you're ready, come back and chat with us so we can support you if you should need a pick-me-up.

kbd

Praying it goes very well for you.

Bearably50

I had my surgery Thursday, August 16, 2018. Just got home yesterday (Sunday). As of today (Monday, August 20, 2018), I am still extremely sore and swollen around my torso. I am concerned about my output and the swelling. I have yet to see the stoma nurse regarding these issues, but am awaiting the call. My only regret at this time is not staying with the ileostomy, as it was already healed and set. I was used to the application process and aware of it. Now, I have to get used to it again. Plus the stoma has to set and form, and I have to learn the application process again and get used to it being on the left side instead of the right. I guess if that's all my concern at this point, I'm lucky. I do have less pain in my rectum with a small amount of bloody mucus discharge at this time, but recall that being short-lived. I am hoping this healing process will be short-lived as well, but in the moment, seems overwhelming. Thanks for all your support, as it means a lot.

Bill

Hello Bearably50. Congratulations on your sucessful operation and I hope that your wish for the healing process to be short lived will pan out as you hoped. However, healing has its own time-frame and probably will not be rushed. If you have swapped from an ileostomy to a colostomy, then you might look forward to trying irrigation at some time in the future. This would make your daily life with a stoma so much more manageable and I would highly recommend it for those who are able to use the porocess.

Best wishes

BillĀ