Ileostomy and Shortness of Breath: Seeking Cause and Solution

Replies
Views
zanzi1

Does anyone with an ileostomy have shortness of breath? And if you do, do you know the cause and solution?

Also, no energy. Thanks.

Cheekymonkey111

Hi there, Zanzi.

I have had shortness of breath at times, especially when tired or if I have been really pushing myself. I'm only 4 months post-op, so I'm hoping that it's just a stamina thing and over time this will improve.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, yes, I do have shortness of breath. I don't know why.

ron in mich

Hi all, yes I also have that problem. But I also have asthma, but since I've had resection surgery for my ileo last year, I get tired more easily and have shortness of breath.

Morning glory

Hi zanzi1.

I have had my ileostomy since 1987. I haven't had shortness of breath due to this. How long has it been since your surgery? It may be this and your weakness may be due to the surgery taking awhile for your body to heal. If so, just give your body time. This is, however, something that needs to be addressed with your doctor.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Longroad78

I started to have that issue and never gave it much thought because I am working all the time, so I normally work through issues which is good and dangerous at the same time. I know about this but never put 2 and 2 together. It is a lack of B-12 which is a vitamin that is water-soluble, normally absorbed through both your large and small intestines. Found this on the internet (cut and pasting the info and website for more reading for you all).

Symptoms of vitamin B12 anaemia include:

Unexplained fatigue (extreme tiredness) and lethargy (lack of energy)
Breathlessness
Feeling faint
Irregular heartbeats (palpitations)
Headache
Hearing sounds coming from inside the body rather than from an outside source (tinnitus)
Loss of appetite

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ileostomy/risks/

Hope this helps you all.

zanzi1

Thank you.

I've just had a complete blood workup and aside from somewhat low CO2 and creatinine issues which are directly related to having an ileostomy, I am fortunately healthy as can be. I asked the doctor, who I like very much, about the CO2 and low bicarbonate if this can be causing the shortness of breath and she didn't think so. However, I don't know if I agree with her. Maybe I'll start taking some B12 and see if there's any change.

Thanks again, Ann

Cheekymonkey111

Thanks for the link, longroad78. It was very informative and explained a few of the things I have experienced since my surgery. Thanks.

looking forward

Have to work up the energy but my back has been hurting since mine was done in Dec--know anything about that??

Marob

Hi Zanzi1, yes I have shortness of breath and tiredness! I have a high output ileostomy and don't absorb nutrients from my food! I dehydrate due to the high output and my kidney function drops which makes me breathless and very tired! I have to take six sachets of Diarolyte in 500ml of water every day to try and keep function up! It's a bit of a battle but worth it to keep feeling well! Good luck!

zanzi1

Thank you so much. I've started drinking Pedialyte. I assume that might be the same as Diarolyte. Hopefully, it will work for me. Stay well. Ann

Past Member

Hi from Baltimore. 2014 was the year I had my surgery. Today, I am still slowly recovering. Blood vessels still. Your body takes six to ten years to recover. I can feel my stomach and groin the last few months. My shortness of breath slowly disappeared after four years. Today, I try to stay up and moving around all day long. You have to push yourself to keep up and active so your food gets digested. Your food down. You look marvelous for how young you are. It takes a while for your body to relax and adjust to the new way you do business. Confidence is very sexy, don't you think? Jerz from Baltimore, USA.

looking forward

No shortness of breath but I am always tired and now I am always hungry because everything comes right out.

zanzi1

Thanks for your response. I didn't know this until a few years ago, but people with an ileostomy are prone to kidney stones and also have low bicarb rates. I found out because I had kidney stones a few years ago, and the urologist told me it's because of the ileo surgery. Hope you feel better.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Zazni....I'm Ileo and yes, I get short of breath but I am a smoker with asthma....tired a lot as energy gets zapped fast so I just eat or drink to keep it up...