Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,240 members

Clothes and ostomy

Posted by Jpuk, on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 am

what clothes do men wear

Reply by Mike6952, on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:29 am
On that I wear jeans and polo or short sleeve shirts where the shirt can cover the bag but also wear covers which go over the bag and make it look like a bum bag so not great attention is given to what people see. I do wear suits time to time but with the trousers a little loose so the bag can go into them and shirt as you would normally wear... but I think it’s what you feel comfortable in. I personally am not really bothered if people sea the bag / cover or not.
Mike
Reply by Mike6952, on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:30 am
Hope that helps
Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Jpuk, 

I think men and women all do pretty much the same thing. I wear nothing but the clothes I wore prior to surgery! My pouch goes in my underwear and then I wear jeans, shorts, dresses, bathing suits, etc. with no problem. I don’t like the thought of a belt and have no need for it or any other specialty products. You can go as far as you want to for security purposes but I have no problems keeping my pouch in place and nobody ever notices the slight bulge there. 

Puppy

Reply by Mike6952, on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Oh I must try the dresses not done that before lol 

Reply by TXSteve, on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 pm

When I’m out and about, I generally do more to hide the pouch, and at times, muffle the sounds it can make occasionally as well, lol.

Basically, I fold and turn the pouch sideways, so I can wear a belt with my jeans. I then pull a skin colored wrap over the whole thing to keep everything in place.

If I’m planning to be with friends, or in a potentially quiet environment, like a meeting, lunch, or movie like setting, than I go a step further. I then place one or two neoprene “mufflers” (Stealth Belt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5P02CIYc2c) over the stoma area to muffle sounds, and then pull the wrap over the whole thing to keep everything in place. It works great!

The minor downsides are... 1) it’s a little more hassle when you have to “go” 2) it makes just a little more of a pooch look in my stomach area, and 3) it makes it easier to get a little overheated on a spring or summer day, or if exercising.

Steve

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Hahaha Mike, send pictures please! 

Puppy

Reply by Mike6952, on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:17 am

Puppy I wil have to borrow one of yours lol

Reply by Mike6952, on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 am

Happy Easter Puppy 😀

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Hope your Easter was great! Mine was! 

Reply by Mike6952, on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes thank  a very good one 😏

Reply by xnine, on Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 am

I ware jeans mostly and use suspenders as a belt would cut my bag in half. I also use a bandeau coverup.

Reply by Little Red, on Sun May 12, 2019 11:58 am

I am a woman and Like Puppy I  wear what I have always wore,   I just tuckmy bag in my underwear,   sometimes I wear a hernia belt  as I have developed 2 hernias.  Parastomal amd umbilical,  but only when out and about and know I will be doing anything strenious..  I am on a weigh restriction of 10 lbs   at home i just wear what I have always worn,  but I do find that  anything  with elastic around the waist is more comfortable.  My stoma is below my waist so I am good.  I say just wear whatever feels good.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 pm

AN idea for some ladies! I found this out by accident! I love Certain line of shorts and they are pricey when not on sale so I look in the clearance racks or go shopping when they are buy on, get on half off. It seems no matter what size I am wearing at the time, they are always sold out of my size. The clearance racks and petite sizes are upstairs in Belk and I have to try everything on. Even two of the same size! In doing that, I found that if I wear a petite but get it one size larger, the waste hits lower than on my waste and does not get in the way of my stoma. I am in no way a petite woman. 5’8 and mostly legs. But this works. For those of us who have never been Petite, nice to tell my friends, oh, these are petites! Lol

Reply by Mike6952, on Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 am

Does that mean I can’t borrow one if yours then

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.