Best time to stop eating for colostomy care?

Replies
Views
BeachRN

Thank you so much for that great irrigation website. It was wonderful and so informative. I continue to have a very watery output. I believe you can only use irrigation if you have a semisolid stool. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Best, Cheryl

Puppyluv56

I had a very watery output for a long time as well. You can use different foods to help thicken that out. I do not like taking drugs but Imodium works when really needed. I imagine what constipated you before surgery, would still do the trick now!

Hope you can figure it out and it might just be worth a try!

Puppy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,743 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

To qualify for irrigation, you must have some descending colon, and that colon must be healthy. I hope you will ask your doctor or nurse and give it a try if you do qualify... It's a life changer! Good luck

Gemd

I have an ileostomy, but it took my body probably 6-8 weeks to be more "normal" in output. And still, from about 5am-11am, it is liquid, like stomach acid, with very little output. It increases in amount and solidity as the day goes on.

BeachRN

Thank you for the information. I will meet with my ostomy nurse soon. My output is pretty watery but I will ask. Good luck and thank you again. Beach RN

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
BeachRN

Thank you so much. Any suggestions for foods to thicken my output? I eat a lot of high protein cottage cheese, bananas, applesauce, yogurt. Do you have any other ideas? Beach RN

Puppyluv56

Peanut butter and bananas work great for me!

BeachRN

Thank you, I currently eat 1-2 bananas a day. I will try peanut butter on an English muffin tomorrow. Output is a bit thicker! What a subject. Beach RN

Puppyluv56

Beach RN,

I also love a peanut butter and banana sandwich! Yummy!