Treating Sores, Ingrown Hairs, Pimples Near the Stoma

Replies
Views
kbd

Thought I'd share my experience of treating ostomy issues since 2011. You need to keep the hair from around your ostomy when it gets to a certain length that it's in your way. I did use an electric razor, my advice would be not to do that. Nothing creates ingrown hairs quicker than electric razors. I now use a disposable razor, but am very very careful not to nick anything, especially the stoma. From my experience going through wound care a few years ago I know many of the products used for treating oozing, seeping sores near the stoma. First I use a barrier wipe With Alcohol. The ones without alcohol take forever to dry, and do nothing to cleanse your skin. I use them to wipe the ingrown hair/pimple area. As you know these sores when under a barrier can get ugly quickly. You need something between them and the barrier/flange. I recently had a very bad sore right below my stoma with only 1/4" between it and the stoma--this a bad situation because you have very little surface to prevent leakage right onto the sore and you don't want that. In that situation I used a piece of Puracol folded for double thickness over the oozing wound, and on top of that a low profile piece of Duoderm with a sticky back side to hold it in place and protect the sore.

Some swear by Puracol Plus with silver, but my skin never reacted well to the silver, so I use plain Puracol. Duoderm comes in a variety of types, but for these type of small sores I like the low profile Duoderm with the sticky back which can be used to create a sort of Puracol 'bandaid'. You cut eveything to the size you need. Both the Duoderm and Puracol frequently come in 4 x 4 inch packages and you will get lots of use from just one pack of those. It's sometimes easiest to cut both the Puracol and Duoderm to size with the Duoderm slightly larger than the Puracol, then put them together before placing them on the sore as a bandaid over the sore.

For very small places like this I have occasionally got away with just putting a tiny piece of tissue on it, but when I have anything bleeding, even if it is tiny, I place a little piece of Puracol on it to protect it from the barrier/flange. For small issues I don't use the Duoderm, but just place a small folded piece of Puracol on the sore to have something absorbent and that keeps the barrier from direct contact with it.

What I'm talking about here are the periodic issues you have with issues under the barrier/flange, not large wound areas or rashes. And this is not medical advice, just tips I know from over 8 years of dealing with skin issues.

Puppyluv56

Hey, never had any of those issues but nice to have some ready remedies in the event it should happen!

Thanks,

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Like Puppyluv, I thank you, Kdb, for the advice.  I learned a lot from you folks here and through some experimenting.  I tried different state of the art shaving equipment and dreaded with fear and anxiety each attempt below the stoma.  Hated it!  So about three years ago I talked to my surgeon and together we decided I wouldn't shave anymore.  I bought one of those $20 facial hair trimmers with a bunch of attachments and use the one that cut the hair close to the skin but  not as close as the shaver attachment.  I haven't shaved since; haven't had an ingrown hair or pimple since.  

That's just my experience.

Mike

kbd

Mike, glad you found a good solution!

Thanks Puppyluv!