Game-changing adhesive for colostomy care!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
walderpeee

Wanted to share this with all my colostomy friends. I use instead of paste or rings this liquid adhesive called Skin Tac!!! It is amazing! It keeps the barrier on for almost 2 weeks without lifting or having any leaks!! No rings or paste needed!!! Found it on Amazon, it goes a long way!!! No more ordering paste or rings!! Wanted to share!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Thank you. I'll check it out! :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

That is always good to know. I stopped using all of those things and still go 10-18 days. Our bodies all change and so does our supplies so it's good to have something available that works when those changes come. I will check that out!

Thanks,

Puppyluv

Mark1070

If you're not allergic to latex, give Torbot Bonding Cement a try. It contains zinc oxide. Truly amazing stuff!

w30bob

Skin Tac?, Bonding Cement?..........I'm surprised no one mentioned Krazy Glue!!! I'm just kidding........I will look into both of those suggestions. Thanks.

Just wondering..........when you use something like these 2 products you guys are talking about, that sticks real well to the skin.......how do you get it off when it is time to change? And how do you then clean the skin of any old residue for the next application? This might be one aspect of using these that some folks can't deal with. So just wondering.

Thanks,

Bob

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

This sounds like a great idea and it's good to see that there are people out there who are still experimenting with alternative stuff. Bob has made a pertinent point about how you remove the wafer when it's time. I look fowarad to hearing some replies to this question.

I have been using a spray-on medical adhesive, and a spray remover  - courtesy of the NHS (at no cost to me) via Coloplast this works well for me.

Best wishes

Bill

walderpeee

Hi! Bob---I have not had to use any adhesive remover because the barrier is easy to remove. Also, just soap & water cleans any old residue I might have. I do have an adhesive remover called Uni-Solve just in case I need it. Also, I have never had any skin problems around the stoma. Best of luck if you plan on using Skin-Tac-You will be amazed!!

walderpeee

Might give Skin Tac a try--I have no skin problems using it--also I have an adhesive remover on hand just in case the barrier is hard to remove--so far the barrier has been easy to remove & just use a little soap & water to clean around the stoma to remove any residue that might be left.

Past Member

I've used SkinTac for years and posted on this forum years ago about it ("I'm Not Afraid To Tie My Shoe Laces Anymore"). It is a game changer. It is a clear liquid that is infused on a small piece of fabric like the little alcohol wipes. Like the alcohol, they are packaged in individual packets so each wipe remains fresh until its packet is opened. I was looking for something I could tuck into my purse for emergency changes while away from home and something that has a longer shelf life than the cement I was given in the hospital. SkinTac does both but also dries much quicker. This means you can slap the pouch back on quicker with less chance of stoma messes when changing the pouch. SkinTac has cleverly labeled it as a skin barrier (which it is) instead of an adhesive. This allows insurance to cover it. It contains alcohol. BTW, there are other brands that are cheaper that also work well including some that are alcohol-free.

sculptorjohn

Torbot Skin Tac wipes are the only adhesives that have ever worked for me. Ever. The others are simply worthless. I use two or three of them every time I put on a new bag, along with stoma paste and clear surgical tape. Even then, I'm lucky to get three days out on a bag. At 67, I'm a complete cardio fitness lunatic and not ashamed of it. I run 90 minutes a day on a self-propelled treadmill, till I'm gasping for breath and the sweat is pouring off of me, even with the AC turned down to 65 and a fan aimed right at my bag. Usually, the gummy part of the flange will turn to mush, but if I avoid bending at the waist afterwards it'll re-coagulate overnight.

Ewesful

I am so glad to know there are alternatives to the glue issue. Thank you folks for all the info. I have suddenly started having real issues with bag adhesive. For years, I was easily able to do 5 days or more. Now, sometimes I am lucky to get through a day! --- I don't know if it is the adhesive or me that has changed but I am excited to find an alternative!!

While on the subject, is it true that we have to go through places like Edgemark for supplies??? Or is that just for the insurance company -- I really don't understand why they are not orderable through

various sites, pharmacies, etc. for our use --- I know they are horrendously expensive.

If there are sites, could you list them --- I am not good at computer research ---

Past Member

Is Skin Tac better to use than Cavilon wipes?

tracy c

Just wondering why anyone would go so long without changing their appliance. I have both a urostomy and a colostomy (lucky me), but my nurses at UCLA instructed me to change them every 4-5 days.

Thanks.

Ewesful

If the skin is not itching, there is no reason to change the bag. The problem we have is in leakage. As for cleaning them out -- you don't need to do that except to slide your hand down the bag to be sure it is "empty". There is no odor if the bag is sealed properly. I like to go 5 days but have done 7-8 days without an issue. I shower regularly with mine.

Mark1070

I'm active in the outdoors so I had to find a longer lasting system. As an added benefit, I change my pouching system less than 20 times per year so I spend a lot less on supplies...and I save a ton of time.  

walderpeee

I prefer the Liquid Skin Tac over the wipes. It comes in a bottle with a swab connected to the lid. A little goes a long way. I still have half a bottle since I ordered it 8 months ago! My barriers are lasting up to 8 days now without changing it. I really think you will be amazed!!

renomar

I tried SkinTac liquid adhesive.... AMAZING! EXCELLENT PRODUCT. What an energy and time saver. Best overall product and would highly recommend to everyone!

Thanks Walderpeee!

walderpeee

Thank you—so glad you got great results!!

Michelle :)

Past Member

I've found amazing bargains for ostomy supplies on eBay.

Past Member

According to Coloplast, 3-5 days is the average life of the adhesive, so to prevent embarrassing and inconvenient leaks it is best to change in that range. However, as in all things, "your results may vary." Change your appliance when you feel it is time.

walderpeee

Where on eBay did you find colostomy products? I agree about Edgepark!!! My insurance only uses Edgepark and they are expensive!!

w30bob

Walder,

Just search for the specific product you want on eBay. I get lots of Hollister stuff on there, some from folks who deal in ostomy supplies and some from folks who, for whatever reason, have excess or don't need what they've got. Don't kid yourself, there are a lot of sellers on there asking full price or more, but there are also some real bargains if you check frequently. Just watch expiration dates on things that have them, and most ostomy supplies do, and if they don't give the expiration or you can't see it in the pic, just message them. I find more often than not if you buy a number of things they also throw in a few freebies as well. I just bought 8 boxes of semi-transparent ostomy bags for cheap and the gal threw in another bag of bags just because. It happens a lot. I guess folks die or switch to other products and have no need for the 3-month supply their insurance just bought them... but eBay is a good source for all things ostomy related.

Regards,

Bob

walderpeee

Thanks Bob,  I have used eBay for the Hollister Adapt Deodorant & bought an off-brand bottle for real cheap & it was okay!! Gonna start to just look monthly for deals!! Thanks again!!!   Michelle :)

Puppyluv56

Going through these companies is convenient because they file your insurance for you and make it easy for you. If you prefer to file your own insurance for reimbursement or just buy your supplies outright, you can go where you want to buy them. You can probably find less expensive supplies elsewhere but I'm all about the convenience! As other people say, they get great deals on eBay.  
Puppyluv

Doe1mama

Currently, my husband uses paste or Eakins Slim Barrier before we apply the wafer. I just want to make sure I understand how you use this.

The Skintac adhesive is applied around the stoma, eliminating paste or barrier ring?