Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

LIQUID ADHESIVE - SKIN TAC

Posted by walderpeee, on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am

Wanted to share this with all my COLOSTOMY FRIENDS.  I use INSTEAD of PASTE or RINGS this LIQUID ADHESIVE called SKIN TAC!!! It is AMAZING! It keeps the BARRIER on for almost 2 WEEKS without LIFTING or having any LEAKS!!  NO RINGS or PASTE needed!!!  Found it on AMAZON & it goes a long way!!! NO MORE ORDERING PASTE or RINGS!!  Wanted to share!!!

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank you.  I'll check it out! :)

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:47 pm

That is always good to know. I stopped using all of those things and still go 10-18 days. Our bodies all change and so does our supplies so good to have something available that works when those changes come. Will check that out! 

Thanks,

Puppyluv

Reply by Mark1070, on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:56 pm

If you're not allergic to latex, give Torbot Bonding Cement a try. It contains zinc oxide.  Truly amazing stuff! 

Reply by w30bob, on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Skin Tac?, Bonding Cement?..........I'm surprised no one mentioned Krazy Glue!!!  I'm just kidding........I will look into both of those suggestions. Thanks. 

Just wondering..........when you use something like these 2 products you guys are talking about, that sticks real well to the skin.......how do you get it off when it is time to change?  And how do you then clean the skin of any old residue for the next application?  This might be one aspect of using these that some folks can't deal with.  So just wondering.

 

thanks,

bob

Reply by Bill, on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 am

This sounds like a great idea and it's good to see that there are people out there who are still experimenting with alternative stuff. Bob has made a pertinent point about how you remove the wafer when it's time. I look fowarad to hearing some replies to this question.

I have been using a spray-on medical adhesive, and a spray remover  - courtesy of the NHS (at no cost to me) via Coloplast this works well for me.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by walderpeee, on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:03 am
w30bob wrote:

Skin Tac?, Bonding Cement?..........I'm surprised no one mentioned Krazy Glue!!!  I'm just kidding........I will look into both of those suggestions. Thanks. 

Just wondering..........when you use something like these 2 products you guys are talking about, that sticks real well to the skin.......how do you get it off when it is time to change?  And how do you then clean the skin of any old residue for the next application?  This might be one aspect of using these that some folks can't deal with.  So just wondering.

 

thanks,

bob


Hi! BOB---I have NOT had to use any ADHESIVE REMOVER because the BARRIER is easy to remove. Also just soap & water cleans any old residue I might have.  I DO have an ADHESIVE REMOVER called UNI-SOLVE just encase I need it. Also I have never had any skin problems around the stoma. Best of luck if you plan on using SKIN-TAC-YOU WILL BE AMAZED!!

Reply by walderpeee, on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:08 am
Bill wrote:

This sounds like a great idea and it's good to see that there are people out there who are still experimenting with alternative stuff. Bob has made a pertinent point about how you remove the wafer when it's time. I look fowarad to hearing some replies to this question.

I have been using a spray-on medical adhesive, and a spray remover  - courtesy of the NHS (at no cost to me) via Coloplast this works well for me.

Best wishes

Bill


Might give SKIN TAC a try--I have NO skin problems using it--also I have a ADHESIVE REMOVER on hand just encase the barrier is hard to remove--so far the barrier has been easy to remove & just use alittle soap & water to clean around the STOMA to remove any residue that might be left.

Reply by westie_lover, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:20 pm

I've used SkinTac for years and posted on this forum years ago about it ("I'm Not Afraid To Tie My Shoe Laces Any More").  It is a game changer.  It is a clear liquid that is infused on a small piece of fabric like the little alcohol wipes.  Like the alcohol, they are packaged in individual packets so each wipe remains fresh until its packet is opened.  I was looking for something I could tuck into my purse for emergency changes while away from home and something that has a longer shelf life than the cement I was given in the hospital.  SkinTac does both but also dries much quicker.  This means you can slap the pouch back on quicker with less chance of stoma messes when changing the pouch.  SkinTac has cleverly labeled it as a skin barrier (which it is) instead of an adhesive.  This allows insurance to cover it.  It contains alcohol.  BTW, there are other brands that are cheaper that also work well including some that are alcohol-free.

Reply by sculptorjohn, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Torbot Skin Tac wipes are the only adhesives that have ever worked for me. Ever. The others are simply worthless. I use two or three of them every time I put on a new bag, along with stoma paste and clear surgical tape. Even then, I'm luck to get three days out on a a bag. At 67, I'm a complete cardio fitness lunatic and not ashamed of it. I run 90 minutes a day on a self-propelled treadmill, till I'm gasping for breath and the sweat is pouring off of me, even with the AC turned down to 65 and a fan aimed right at my bag. Usually, the gummy part of the flange will turn to mush, but if I avoid bending at the waist afterwards it'll re-coagulate overnight.

Reply by Ewesful, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I am so glad to know there are alternatives to the glue issue.  Thank you folks for all the info.  I have suddenly started having real issues with bag adhesive. For years  I was easily able to do 5 days or more. Now, sometimes I am lucky to get through a day! --- I don't know if it is the adhesive or me that has changed but I am excited to find an alternative!!    

 

While on the subject is it true that we have to go through places like Edgemark for supplies???   Or is that just for the insurance company -- i really don't understand why they are not orderable through 

various sites, pharmacies, etc. for our use --- I know they are horrendously expensive.

 

If there are sites could you list them ---I am not good at  computer research ---

Reply by pietrzak, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Is skin tac better to use than Cavilon wipes

Reply by tracy c, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:08 pm

just wondering why anyone would go so long withiut changing their appliance.  I have both a urostomy and a colostomy (lucky me) but my nurses at UCLA instructed me to change them every 4-5 days

 

Thanks

Reply by Ewesful, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:26 pm
tracy c wrote:

just wondering why anyone would go so long withiut changing their appliance.  I have both a urostomy and a colostomy (lucky me) but my nurses at UCLA instructed me to change them every 4-5 days

 

Thanks


If the skin is not itching ther is no reason to change the bag.  The problem we have is in leakage.  As for cleaning them out -- you don't need to do that except to slide your hand down the bag to be sireit is "empty".  There is no odor if the bag is sealed properly.  I like to go 5 days but have done 7-8 days without an isssue. I shower regularly with mine. 

 

Reply by Mark1070, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:24 pm
tracy c wrote:

just wondering why anyone would go so long withiut changing their appliance.  I have both a urostomy and a colostomy (lucky me) but my nurses at UCLA instructed me to change them every 4-5 days

 

Thanks


I'm active in the outdoors so i had to find a longer lasting system. As an added benefit, i change my pouching system less than 20 times per year so i spend a lot less on supplies...and i save a ton of time. 

Reply by walderpeee, on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:55 pm
pietrzak wrote:

Is skin tac better to use than Cavilon wipes


I prefer the liquid skin tac over the wipes. It comes in a bottle with a swab connected to the lid. ALITTLE goes a LONG way.  I still have half a bottle since I ordered it 8 MONTHS AGO!!  My barriers are lasting up to 8 days now without changing it. I really think you will be amazed!!

Reply by renomar, on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:21 pm

I tried SkinTac liquid adhesive .... AMAZING & EXCELLENT PRODUCT.  What an energy & time saver.  Best overall product and would highly recommend to everyone !

Thanks Walderpeee !

Reply by walderpeee, on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:49 pm
renomar wrote:

I tried SkinTac liquid adhesive .... AMAZING & EXCELLENT PRODUCT.  What an energy & time saver.  Best overall product and would highly recommend to everyone !

Thanks Walderpeee !


THANK YOU---So glad you got great results!!

Michelle :)

 

Reply by westie_lover, on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Ewesful wrote:

I am so glad to know there are alternatives to the glue issue.  Thank you folks for all the info.  I have suddenly started having real issues with bag adhesive. For years  I was easily able to do 5 days or more. Now, sometimes I am lucky to get through a day! --- I don't know if it is the adhesive or me that has changed but I am excited to find an alternative!!    

 

While on the subject is it true that we have to go through places like Edgemark for supplies???   Or is that just for the insurance company -- i really don't understand why they are not orderable through 

various sites, pharmacies, etc. for our use --- I know they are horrendously expensive.

 

If there are sites could you list them ---I am not good at  computer research ---


I've found amazing bargins for ostomy supplies on e-bay.

Reply by westie_lover, on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:56 pm
tracy c wrote:

just wondering why anyone would go so long withiut changing their appliance.  I have both a urostomy and a colostomy (lucky me) but my nurses at UCLA instructed me to change them every 4-5 days

 

Thanks


According to Coloplast, 3-5 days is the average life of the adhesive, so to prevent embarrassing and inconvenient leaks it is best to change in that range.  However, as in all things, "your results may vary."  Change your appliance when you feel it is time.

Reply by walderpeee, on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 am
westie_lover wrote:
Ewesful wrote:

I am so glad to know there are alternatives to the glue issue.  Thank you folks for all the info.  I have suddenly started having real issues with bag adhesive. For years  I was easily able to do 5 days or more. Now, sometimes I am lucky to get through a day! --- I don't know if it is the adhesive or me that has changed but I am excited to find an alternative!!    

 

While on the subject is it true that we have to go through places like Edgemark for supplies???   Or is that just for the insurance company -- i really don't understand why they are not orderable through 

various sites, pharmacies, etc. for our use --- I know they are horrendously expensive.

 

If there are sites could you list them ---I am not good at  computer research ---


I've found amazing bargins for ostomy supplies on e-bay.


WHERE on E-BAY did you find COLOSTOMY products??  I agree about EDGEPARK!!! My insurance ONLY use EDGEPARK & they are EXPENSIVE!!

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

Walder,

  Just search for the specific product you want on Ebay........I get lots of Hollister stuff on there, some from folks who deal in ostomy supplies and some from folks who, for whatever reason, have excess or don't need what they've got.  Don't kid yourself, there's lot of sellers on there asking full price or more, but there are also some real bargains if  you check frequently.  Just watch expiration dates on things that have them, and most ostomy supplies do, and if they don't give the expiration or you can't see it in the pic just message them.  I find more often than not if you buy a number of things they also throw in a few freebies as well.  I just bought 8 boxes of semi-transparent ostomy bags for cheap and the gal threw in another bag of bags just because.  Happens a lot.  I guess folks die, or switch to other products and have no need for the 3 month supply their insurance just bought them.........but eBay is a good source for all things ostomy related. 

 

regards,

bob

Reply by walderpeee, on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm
w30bob wrote:

Walder,

  Just search for the specific product you want on Ebay........I get lots of Hollister stuff on there, some from folks who deal in ostomy supplies and some from folks who, for whatever reason, have excess or don't need what they've got.  Don't kid yourself, there's lot of sellers on there asking full price or more, but there are also some real bargains if  you check frequently.  Just watch expiration dates on things that have them, and most ostomy supplies do, and if they don't give the expiration or you can't see it in the pic just message them.  I find more often than not if you buy a number of things they also throw in a few freebies as well.  I just bought 8 boxes of semi-transparent ostomy bags for cheap and the gal threw in another bag of bags just because.  Happens a lot.  I guess folks die, or switch to other products and have no need for the 3 month supply their insurance just bought them.........but eBay is a good source for all things ostomy related. 

 

regards,

bob

THANKS Bob,   I have used E-BAY for the Hollister ADAPT DEODERANT & bought an OFF BRAND bottle for real CHEAP & it was OK!! Gonna start to just look monthly for DEALS!! THANKS AGAIN!!!    Michelle :)

 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:40 am
Ewesful wrote:

I am so glad to know there are alternatives to the glue issue.  Thank you folks for all the info.  I have suddenly started having real issues with bag adhesive. For years  I was easily able to do 5 days or more. Now, sometimes I am lucky to get through a day! --- I don't know if it is the adhesive or me that has changed but I am excited to find an alternative!!    

 

While on the subject is it true that we have to go through places like Edgemark for supplies???   Or is that just for the insurance company -- i really don't understand why they are not orderable through 

various sites, pharmacies, etc. for our use --- I know they are horrendously expensive.

 

If there are sites could you list them ---I am not good at  computer research ---

Going through these companies are convenient because they file to you insurance and make it easy for you. If you prefer to file your own insurance for reimbursement or just buy your supplies outright, you can go where you want to buy them. You can probably find less expensive supplies elsewhere but I'M all about the convenience! As other people say the get great deals on EBay. 
puppyluv

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 8    
1 members & 7 visitors
tessa (f)
 
 
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate - the largest online community for people with an ostomy.
If you have questions or just want to meet and chat with others, join us and enjoy our great community.