O'Keefe's Working Hands: Effective Lotion for Stoma Skin

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang

In Lori's post entitled "Non-stick ostomy bags??" myyear54 recommended something called O'Keefe's Working Hands as a lotion for irritated skin around a stoma. It's buried in that post but I've been using it now for a week (I change my barrier every other day) and I wanted to let you know the stuff really works and is pretty darn impressive. First off.....it feels like any other moisturizer or lotion, but really does dry completely and does not leave the skin oily or greasy.....just soft. And what really takes the cake is it actually does increase adhesion of the barrier to the skin, which I never thought it would do. You just need a small drop on your fingertip and you massage that in real well. Then I hit it with the hair dryer on low heat for a few seconds just to make sure it's dry, and then do my ostomy powder and wipes thing before putting on my barrier. This is some pretty neat stuff and it really is improving my skin.......don't hesitate to give it a try. And to myyear54.....thanks for the suggestion!!!

Regards,

Bob

lovely

Hi Bob, thanks for sharing this information. I think I will try this as I have some problems with my skin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Bob. 

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob

Hi guys,

Yeah, I'll double down on what I said, now that I've used it for a few barrier changes. I even had to keep my barrier on an extra day due to some time constraints I had that morning, and even after the extra day the adhesion of the barrier to my skin was significant. The other thing I notice is the skin I put this on has become much smoother and pliable, dare I say "normal". For me, the skin around my stoma for a couple of inches in each direction had taken on a sheen, or shiny appearance. I was told by my dermatologist this is a sign of the skin breaking down and not being healthy. She said it was hard to reverse, but mine has reversed. I'm really very happy with this stuff........and I'm a pretty hard guy to please. I'm tempted to try it on a few calluses on my feet.....and if it works there, I'm buying the company. Ok, can't afford that..........but I'll at least buy another tube!

Regards,

Bob

lovely

Hi Bob, I was looking for this in Wal-Mart. I did not see the lotion, but they had the slave. Do you think this would be the same as the lotion?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob

Hi lovely.......just saw your post. Just so we're all on the same page......the O'Keefe's website only shows their Working Hands in a cream. It comes in jars and in a squeeze tube, which is what I bought. When you say "salve" I'm thinking you mean the jar of cream. Here's what their website says about the difference between the jar and tube.

What is the difference between the original O'Keeffe's jars and the tubes?
The two formulas are different because the jar formula physically cannot be put through a tube, so we had to make some tweaks to make that possible. However, the primary reasons that many consumers love the jar are still brought to life in the tube. It still contains a high level of glycerin, thus is extremely moisturizing and still unscented and not greasy. Both products are highly concentrated, so a little goes a long way. The biggest difference between the two products is the package.

So judging by what they said..........they seem to be the same thing. I bought the tube because it was a little cheaper per ounce.

Regards,

Bob

lovely

Hi Bob, the reason I was asking is because your first post said it was a lotion. I saw the tubes and the jars at Wal-Mart, but it said it was a cream. I just wanted to make sure the cream was the same as the lotion. I didn't want to use something that might cause problems to the stoma if it got on it. Thanks for your response.

lovely

I was reading some posts and I ran across the one from myyear54 about the salve. He said the doctor told him not to get it on the stoma. I wonder why that would be a problem and what the problem would be. The biggest problem I have is right between where the stoma and the skin come together. So if I tried to use it there, it would get on the stoma. You were talking about using it on your feet. They do make one just for the feet.

w30bob

Hi lovely,

Can't say why it shouldn't touch the stoma, as I rub it into all my skin around my stoma and some does get on the outer parts of my stoma. And it hasn't caused anything I'm aware of with my stoma........but as a general rule I'd think it smart not to put stuff directly on your stoma intentionally.

By the way, I once again skipped another day and changed my barrier on the third day this morning and had no sign of any seepage or leaking. My skin looked great as well!

Regards

Bob

myyear54

Your welcome, Bob. Glad it helped.

lovely

Hey, myyear54, I was reading your and Bob's post about O'Keeffe's. I want to try it, but I was wondering why you said the doctor said not to get it on the stoma.

myyear54

For the same reason you wouldn't drink it. And he said try not to get it on the stoma. Small amounts wouldn't hurt, but to apply it directly to the stoma, and since the stoma is actually exposed bowel. Wouldn't be a good idea. If that makes any sense.

lovely

Guess I asked a stupid question. Sorry.

myyear54

There is no stupid question, just ones we want answered. Using O'Keefe's and switching to Mio has cleared up my problems with irritation. Don't wear belts, barriers stick well enough without them. It was a relief of mind knowing it was something I didn't have to worry about.