Seeking Odor-Control Bags for Cruise with Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recommendations for odor-control bags suitable for a cruise with a colostomy.
shortywalker

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of these black plastic bags, Ziplock I think. They may have been called Bagaway or Bag It Away, brought from America. They hold in the smell and I thought they would be good for a cruise I'm going on in 16 months. I saw them somewhere but can no longer find the site. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Shorty,

I believe it's called "Bag-It-Away Ostaway X-Bag - Ostomy Disposal Bags", and here's a link

Regards,

Bob

https://www.exmed.net/p-2988-bag-it-away-ostaway-x-bag-ostomy-disposal-bags.aspx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
shortywalker

Thanks, Bob. I will check out the site. Cheers, Shorty.

xnine

My Hollister supplies come with disposable bags. I just double knot them and it works for me. On the cruise they take your trash away daily so there is no problem with odor.

mamatembo

I have used Bagitaway since my ostomy 2 years ago at the recommendation of my ostomy nurse. You can order them directly at: http://bagitaway.com. They are great. Dark green to black in color so no one can see what is in it. I remove my pouch, put 2 squares of toilet paper in the opening and then roll the pouch up and put it in the bag along with the wafer and Safe Simply Peristomal wipes (because the water department here asked that wipes not be flushed in the toilet because they are clogging the water treatment plant). Then zip it tightly closed and throw it in the trash basket. There is absolutely no odor when closed properly. I have never had a problem with the Ziploc closure. When I have traveled, I have warned my tent steward not to open them because they will contain body fluids/content and would smell.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

I also use the Hollister bags and the disposable bags that come with them. I had a friend who was babysitting a small child and she asked me to save my loaf bread bags for her. She said they were good to put the poopy diapers in. I had some extra disposable bags, so I gave her some. They worked well for her too.

shortywalker

Thank you for the link. I have ordered some from America but will have to find out if they are sold in Australia.   Cheers. Shorty.

shortywalker

Thank you for your reply. My Hollister bags also come with the disposable bags, but I don't use them. I have another system for home, but I have ordered the Bagit-Away ones for the cruise.

I have the chance of reversal in January, but I don't know if I'm going to go with it yet. Much on my mind. Cheers.   Shorty

mamatembo

To: Shortywalker

I think you will like them, Shortywalker. It would be great if they could establish a satellite place in Australia to sell them so others would find them easy to get. We use Ziploc bags here all the time to store leftover food in the refrigerator, and I sometimes have a problem getting the regular Ziploc bags to close properly. Yet with the BagItAway bags, I have never had a problem zipping them closed. Hope they are as helpful to you as they are to me.

shortywalker

We have Ziplock, ones called Snaplock, and another called Easyslide. As you say, they are great for refrigerator food, but they are all clear so you can see what's inside. Can't wait for these bags to turn up. Shame we have to pay US dollars. Cheers, Shorty.

lovely

Another suggestion would be to go to the baby supplies department of a store. They have bags to dispose of soiled diapers. They do not cost much either.

shortywalker

Thanks, lovely! Our supermarkets sell plastic nappy bags 2 for 200, pretty cheap. But they are orange, so I got some doggy dodo bags which are black but very thin. Okay for home use, but don't hold in the odor. Cheers, Shorty.

lovely

The baby diaper bags I got for my friend were blue. I haven't asked her how they work, but I would think if they are for baby poop, they would be pretty good. Hope you find something that works for you.

iMacG5

Hi Shorty.  I'm not sure this will help for your cruise but we package our produce in plastic bags at the super market.  They're found on rolls, sometimes with colored ties.  At the checkout counter the clerk can scan through the bag to read the bar code and price the item.  I use two or three of these with knots to discard the pouches. Can't beat the price.

Mike

shortywalker

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your thoughts. Cheers, Shorty.

funnygurl

I use doggy doo disposal bags. They work great and are easy to find. They have a tie top.

shortywalker

Hi Funnygurl, thanks! That's exactly what I use at home. I have ordered the Bagit-Away Ostaway bags from America to try out before our cruise. Should be here any day. Cheers, Shorty.

Pharmgirl

Hi,

If you can't find that, there is a product on Amazon called BOSE disposable bags. They are white, and there is no smell. I couldn't live without them!

shortywalker

Thanks for that, Pharmgirl, for your input. Cheers, Shorty.

Dada54

Amazon sells smell-proof black ziplock bags. Great idea, I am going to try.

Puppyluv56

Hey, I cruise all the time and just got back this week from Bermuda.
I use zip lock bags and that keeps the odor in and my Coloplast pouches come with a heavy-duty gray bag that I put a zip lock bag inside just to keep it out of sight! Works well! Any solid-colored bag will work.
Puppyluv

shortywalker

Thank you for your input. Cheers, Shorty.