Recovery Update: 3 Days at Home, 9 Days After Reversal

Replies
Views
currentsitguy

Well, I've been home three and a half days now. The staples come out next Tuesday. Things have settled into some semblance of a routine. The post-surgical pain has mostly subsided, but I must say the staples are very irritating to my skin. It's Itch City. I can manage with Tylenol. I even had a sneezing fit earlier and it wasn't so bad. The trips to the bathroom are still more than usual, but have clustered into about three time periods a day: In the morning when I wake up, around midday, and just before bed. Frankly, before bedtime I don't particularly feel the need, I just want to assure a full night's sleep. There never really isn't a sense of desperate urgency, I just know I need to go, like a "normal" person when it's "time to go". Sometimes I go in, do my business, come out, only to have to go back again 10 minutes later. Somewhat annoying, but nothing I can't deal with. I'm just happy to be on top of, rather than in front of the toilet. The soreness around the more sensitive parts is receding. I still have to be a bit gentle in wiping, but it is nothing like two days ago.

I'm very happy I can move around. When the colostomy was first done, it was a good two weeks home before I could even get up the two steps into our kitchen without a lot of pain. I'd forgo getting something from the back of the house because it was just too painful to go back there to get it. Not this time. So long as I don't bend over at the waist, I'm pretty good getting around. I'd get out and walk our rural road a bit for exercise if the weather weren't so cruddy.

My medium goal is to consolidate my trips to the bathroom to one or two single daily trips. Before the diverticulitis took hold, I was a single 10-20 minutes after my coffee kinda guy. Yeah, I intellectually know I've got a bit more than half the colon I used to have, and that may never be the case again, but I do strive to keep it to a bare minimum.

My wife and I really enjoy long, destination-less drives on the weekends in decent weather. There is nothing more fun than setting off with no goal in particular and ticking off a hundred or two miles to find new places. Last fall we bought a small, REALLY small, imported 25-year-old right-hand drive Japanese convertible for just that purpose. When I say small, I mean a full two feet shorter than my Mini Cooper. You not so much get into it as you do wear it. Sitting on the wrong side takes a bit of getting used to, but you adjust. Anyways, such a driving arrangement means I'm going to really need decent control and holding power if we are to resume our routine. Hopefully things will continue along this path so that by spring I can pull the Cappuccino (yes, that is the model of the car) back out of the garage and we can take a trip.

We are also planning a weekend away to a somewhat local resort. It's been a good two years since we've had a good couple's massage at a spa and we are both looking forward to that. There is a place down in the Laurel Highlands of PA we've been meaning to stay at for the facilities, as well as being near Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater that we've been meaning to tour.

I'm obviously still on the low-fiber post-surgery diet, which is rather bland and boring, so I don't take this as a future indicator of things to come, though things are slowly starting to "firm up". If the bag was any predictor, I'll have good and bad days.

warrior

Great story. Well on your way. These small vehicles you're driving around, aren't they manual transmission? Isn't this a problem? Yeah, you will "wear them" good. Best of luck, man. Nailed it good.

Warrior

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,461 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

You have aced this....good for you...by summer you will be flying high...

lovely

Glad things are going so well for you. Just don't overdo it. You have come so far, don't have any problems now. Sometimes things seem to be healed but can still need more healing inside. Best wishes.

currentsitguy

Yeah, it's a 5-speed, and yeah, I have to shift with my left hand. I have to admit I'm a weirdo in that since I started driving in the mid-80s, I've never actually owned an automatic. You adapt. Here's how I see it. Switching between the right-hand drive Cappuccino and the left-hand drive Mini and the winter Xterra is good exercise for the brain. It forces you into unfamiliar thinking patterns. My wife admits she is completely weirded out by being a passenger in the "driver's seat," but she has even learned to adapt.

The way I see it is these are the reasons we have to endure this and look forward to.

FWIW here it is:

Suzuki Cappuccino

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I concur, good luck and enjoy. You are one of the lucky ones.

w30bob

Currents,

That's all great news... glad to hear it! Yeah, those staples suck for sure. I ended up taking mine out a few days before my Doc was scheduled to do it... man, did that feel good! Carry on my man, carry on!

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Like the vehicle, by the way driving that you are on the "right" side of the car mate, just unfortunate that you guys drive on the "wrong" side of the road, LOL! Definitely a good mental workout alternating between right-hand and left-hand drive, well done.

I also have always driven a manual and never owned an automatic, only found out that some folk consider that weird when I spent time in the states. Manuals rock in my opinion (and automatics for lazy buggers who can't be arsed changing gears!).

Good luck with the recovery, sounds like even this early on that you've got this.

Cheers,

Jo

w30bob

I went to England back in 1997 and was surprised when the rental company at the airport just handed me the keys to my rental and didn't even bother to ask if I could drive on the wrong side of the road. After almost not making it out of the airport parking lot alive, I handed the keys to my sidekick and said.....You Drive! All the way to where we were going, I kept freaking out as we drove because I realized every time I thought the driver should react a certain way (to roundabouts, oncoming traffic, and especially turning), I realized if I was driving we'd be dead by now. Then when my UK buddies came here for a meeting, they jumped into our rental cars and drove just fine. Sure made me feel stupid. But at least I'm ALIVE and stupid. There is something to be said for driving on the wrong side of the road properly.

Later,

Bob

Puppyluv56

Wow,

Your recovery has been textbook! Glad it has gone so well and continues to improve! You and your wife will be in that cute little car traveling around in no time!

Puppy

Bagface

So happy for you! My reversal was a year ago Feb. 5. Things have settled in nicely. I make 4-5 trips a day and I know what you mean about having to go again after about 10 minutes! I find that eating certain things will make me go more; if I eat more than 1 slice of pizza, it turns into a 12-hour shitfest and I don't always trust a fart! Sometimes I still can't believe I'm having these conversations! I'm so glad that you're doing well!

britathrt60

Hey Bob, when I go back home to England, it feels so weird being a passenger on the driver's side. I constantly adjust the rearview mirror. It's an automatic brain habit. LOL...

wiljpeters

Sounds like you're doing fantastic!!!! So glad it's working for you.

currentsitguy

I've been to the UK twice. My wife was born there and lived her first several years before they came over here. I will say on both of my trips I didn't really have all that much trouble adjusting to the "wrong" side of the road and care until, we crossed the Channel and went to France for the day. Sitting on the other side of the car and being in the other lane, which puts you not on the center line, but on the edge of the road, can mess with your judgment. That is what I have here, but I have adjusted. All I have to do is beat down those sudden urges to deliver mail.)

currentsitguy

I understand, but considering the focus of the forum, I feel less inhibited in my descriptions than I would be otherwise.

I will say today the solid seems to be separating from the gas. I've been taking advantage of that this evening with gusto. :) It may be the only time in my life my wife is delighted I am passing gas.

Running to the local country store for an ice cream treat. I think we've earned it.