Seeking Ostomy Bag Recommendations & Showering Tips

Replies
Views
Booters

Hello everyone, I have been using the Sensura Mio bag and I've noticed of late that I'm not getting any more than 3 days use. Does anybody have better success with another style bag? Also, does anybody shower with the bag on? Thanks so much.

Daanders

I do not have these bags. I do shower with a bag on. I used to tape plastic over it, now I have gotten brave enough not to.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Hi Booters, I think the time limit for bags is different for each one according to what kind of output you have and how often. I use Hollister bags and I don't have a problem taking a shower with them. I just dry them off with a towel. Good luck

Cplumber

I use Convatec Natura Durahesive and an Eakin Cohesive seal. I shower daily and can go 7 days.

Booters

Thanks for replying. I might try those.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Booters

What style do you use?

Booters

Thanks, lovely.

Daanders

I towel dry also and do use the hair dryer.

xnine

I use Hollister 2-piece closed system. I shower with a shower curtain around me that I made to keep the direct spray off. I often get 10+ days before I need to change the flange.

Hermit

Convatec for 6 years now! No problems! Have you had any blowouts? Yes, shower with it!

Booters

Does anyone use the Sensura Mio and how are they in the shower?

Booters

I've been looking into those. I may try them. Thanks for your help.

Puppyluv56

I have used the Sensura Mio and now use mostly Convatec. I use a two-piece and wear each flange for a minimum of 10 days. I shower daily and in the summer, I practically live in my pool and have no problems. You need to cover the filter with the little stickers so water does not ruin the filter if you use filters. I use no prep or barrier rings. I do use the blow dryer on the flange and pouch. It may help it stick better, but it is a comfort thing. No wet stuff in your clothes! Lol I am just lucky and I seem to be the oddball with having my appliance last so long. Hope you find what works. Our bodies do change on us as do the products we order. Sometimes thinking you have the same barrier and come to find out they have sent you a new and improved version that does not work for you. You could just have a bad batch. That has happened as well.

Good luck,

Puppy

britathrt60

Hi Booters.

I have used Convatec Natura bags and flanges for 20 years. Never use seals, just a bit of Coloplast paste around the flange hole. I get 7 days using them. Cheers. Ange.

Convatec Durahesive Moldable Flange Ref # 404593

1 3/4 in. 45 mm

Convatec Natura Drainable Pouch Ref #401507

1 3/4 in. 45 mm

Booters

Thank you so much for the information.

warrior

I am currently "stoma testing" the Mio flip this month. I have been speaking to the salesperson, and I finally will get what I need. I did have some samples I used... one leaked within a day because I had no seal protector ring... but the fish-shaped design feels good. Actually, it feels like nothing is there.. It's more flexible and fits a lot better than the straight barriers... It really hugs your body around the stoma.

Let me ask, are you using the strips to hold it in place and prevent leaks? They are "C" type adhesive strips that go around the fish-designed fingers.. Let me tell you, those things are wonderful.. Shower, no problem.. I have it listed in my profile. The part number by Coloplast is....120700. They are THE SHIT! :) Will need adhesive remover spray. Warrior.

Puppyluv56

Hey guys,

I have used the Y shape barrier strip! They saved me when I was trying to use a one piece Convetec that constantly leaked. With the stop, when the flange leaked, I still had time to get home or to someplace to change. They are wonderful but don't use them anymore. nbsp
Puppy

ileona12

Hi Booters, 

I have had an ileostomy for 22 years and I always shower with the bag on and never cover with plastic. I use Coloplast Sensura two-piece drainable bags and change only once a week. I never rinse my bag with water, just wipe with toilet paper around the entrance and fold back up. Sometimes after a shower, it is necessary to wrap a piece of paper towel to take up moisture before putting undies on.

All the best, ileona12

looking forward

Hi, I also shower with a bag on. Use a hair dryer to be sure it is dry.

Joycrnls

I try the Mio bags here and there - meh... Recently, I tried the Mio Flip - terrible. My stoma is flush to my skin, and I have firmness around it due to hernia repair with mesh. It's a constant struggle finding my personal best product to use. The Mio Flip seems to leak VERY quickly. Hollister is good but takes longer to dry after a shower. Anybody have luck with any particular products for someone like me? I seem to not be able to use any convex; even soft convex without it pushing off of me, so I need flat wafers that STAY STUCK without leaks... ugh

Joycrnls

I use a hair dryer too.