W30Bob

Replies
Views
1moreday

I read with interest your valuable conversation regarding" SHORT BOWEL SYNDROME. As of 2016, 6/9, I became a woman with an ileostomy. Why? Due to a small procedure to help my small intestine that crushed from a total colectomy ie. Removing large intestine including rectum, then several months a j-pouch. It seems impossible to comprehend that first surgery was 2004. So I dodged the bag." Now, back to SBSand 2016, this latest hospital that said, easy two stitches to place 2 pig tail stents.... they perforated my bowel. The story on that is a bit too much as to what did happen . The outcome I survived incredible odds, but , the bag is now with me permanently. So, that'swhere the SBS comes in. I couldn't retain nutrition due to high output. I'm from Long Island and when I was diagnosed initially with F A.P., something like C.RP.E, GARDNERS SYNDROME.(. I'm an over achiever) I went a few months have endured Sepsis and just horrible things I didn't think I would survive.

I'm dealing with a central peripheral pic line in my chest wall. Think port for chemo. I had that taken out and have had 8 picclines in 2 years.P.I.A.! The reasonfor this is to hook up to hydration between 8 some weeks 12 hours of hydration x 7 days per week. Labs every two to three weeks. D10 bags definitely 8 hours that has electrolytes with it, then additional bags are D5 bags. My food, fluid, and pills ended up in ,THE BAG. I was in the hospital more than home. The hospital finally decided this nurse changing the hydration dressing in home once a week, supplies delivered every Wednesday for the week. My lab work shows my creatine is too high, my pottasium too high,my bun too high ect . So I'm interested they give me hydration and I'm on an opioid that I change the patch every third day. I have a break through medicine for me which is new, since, December this year. I don't claim to understand all of what your discussing but I' d like to. Right now i feel like a leftover, by the time i put aquaguard on 3 different parts of my body. Oh, yes, my bag only lasts 25 to 26 hours. They caused 3 surgical hernias that are not an option to fix. I'm inoperable as i have a inoperable soft tissue sarcoma entwined interadominally. That's from the Gardners syndrome. I'm not complaining just giving all the facts or what i can fit in here without you falling asleep from all this shitI can't even say the words salt or sodium without gagging. I am tired of the chest wall being manipulated for hydration. If there is another way , why in earth didn't doctors set me up with whatever it is you are using. I was diagnosed with a rare disease causing cancer. It is always under surrvelliance and if they find suspicious they scrape it out of me. Oh yes, my son was 20 when diagnosed, my daughter was 16. They had large intestines removed and some other parts of our bodies I didnt know had. I had no clue I had a birth defect that would hurt my children. I suffered with bowel and belly pain that took my breath away since about 5 years old. This illness wasn't discovered until 10 years prior to my diagnosis. Which I had to research with my picc s becausecthe dr s on long island had no clue what I had. When I came across a picture that matched mine I called John Hopkins hospital that put me in touch with their DNA people. They actually pursued me to get immediate help. I did. But I went to a hospital in N.Y.C , then for the perforated bowel I was at a hospital that claims to be the best in the nation. They are listed as such as well in any magazine, article, or doctor you speak to. So who knew I'd end up near death n no solutions? The person, whoever, he was or is, carried this gene that caused this mess. They say people don't make it usually to 35 with this illness. I was diagnosed at 46. Now, at a young 61, I'm asking about an answer to hydration. Which the doctors tell me this is the gold standard of slowing down the bowel. However, I can put out between 1500 to 2600 per day. Yes, im forced to measure. Not happy about that. It's all just water. Hydration this way is supposedly going into my veins. I did gain 25 pounds. I've always been petite and 100 pounds easy. Ince I had the first surgery, I couldn'tput on weight. I did chemo off and on for several years. However, it reduced the grip on the angry tumor, left me thinner and I have not needed chemo since 2012. Yay! Chemo isn't a cure for this they have no cure. No my children can't have kids. Yes, both my kids are now 32 and 35, active, no bags, and SUCCESSFUL in their careers and marriages. There are no words that can shorten up this mess. However, I simply am grateful to be alive but I'd like to reduce the amount of plastic in my body. Your info on this blog is hope for reducing the hydration bags and picc line and nurse and skin excoriation from the most sensitive dressing they have in the medical market! I can'tkeep my illeostomy bag on longer than 25 hours. I was a vegetarian now to get protein because of potassium being high n SBSI need to avoid vegetables, potatoes, bread, I'm frustrate . I'm a person who dreams of eating a salad or some vegetables. I thought the bag was bad. It is. But I'm grateful given the way I had to live prior, the life i get to live now is the bag. I died getting it but survived with it. Literally died. No exaggeration. So I dream of not feeling so ugly, or being a shitty leftover. I want to at least swim and i cant eith this ouch line. I love the ocean. I want to at least be able to stand at the shore and this picc line makes that part a bit tricky. Also, i always had low pottasiumWhere they had to give me potassium. With the hydration my pottasium until last month was dangerously high. I asked them a natural question, can you remove pottasium from the bags? Yes. The potassium is normal as of last week. So I'll see what it is this week. But please after all this typing tell me in terms I could understand if therevis an alternative to this hydration nonsense( tho I'm thankful) dehydrating all the time wasn't fun and neither was sepsis more than 4 times. They say I look great! I look like I'm 50. Well that's great it isn't because of anything they have done. It's just lif . I can live with all this if I had more choices on two items. Please help me another way to stay hydrated. I was drinking all the fluid I could, but right into the bag. But it's still happening. I'm not on the hospital nearly what I was. But I don't like all this medical stuff hanging around. Plus, the risks I suffer by having the picc line. It requires so much work with putting on pouches, belts, patches, aquaguards ect. Help? Thanks for reading. I hope I didn't scare anyon . I gave just the basics. I'm not a fan of the bags/ pouches. I'm allergic to latex and very sensitive to plastics and all adhesives. There has got to be another way to hydrate naturally. That's my goal. I will accept the pouch but I dream of another way of staying hydrated . This way I'm not permitted to drink much fluid but I'm always carrying water and do sip it slowly. That is permitted. I can't drink alcohol or eat chocalate. Not that I did much of either but take away my veggies. UGH!!

w30bob

Hi 1more,

Damn girl... sounds like you've been through the ringer! Ok, let's get you straight. First, have you read Carol Rees Parrish's book A Patient's Guide to Managing Short Bowel Syndrome? They should have given you a copy when you left the hospital. There's a lot of good info in there and she explains the osmolarity thing that's key to understanding hydration. If you haven't read it, you can get it free when you sign up on www.shortbowelsyndrome.com. or I can send you a copy. Now before I get into it, let me ask you a few questions.

How much small bowel do you have left?

Is your TPN home infusion company working with you on a schedule to wean you off TPN?

Why does your bag only last a day... what's going on?

Are you familiar with Oral Rehydration Solutions (ORS)?

Would you prefer if we talk about this via PM's... or are you ok discussing this out here?

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

1moreday

I'm a mess, losing hope, really. I wasn't destined for a short bowel. I had my large intestine removed, a reversal, 4 off and on years, intermittently of "shotgun" chemo. The words of the doctor, not mine. It just helps the soft tissue sarcoma that is entwined around the organs I've got left. The short bowel came 11.5 years after my only intestine left along with a reversal collapsed. I went to the only hospital that would help me. A simple procedure at Mayo, Minnesota, well they perforated my bowel. It was supposed to be 2 stitches in the j pouch. All went VERY wrong. Now I have an ileostomy, hydration 8 to 12 hours per day. It's electrolytes and hydration. Through a central peripheral PICC. That hospital told me nothing. Goodbye and they didn't bill the insurance company, then I got a bill. You don't want to know what it was! The insurance company said to ignore it, they didn't bill in the agreed time frame to the insurance company. I called to find out how short it is, they refused to tell me or direct me to the doctor's office that would. They said I would need to be a current patient in the office!! Please send my records; we can't find them. What??? So it's too much info to put here. I'm almost too tired from typing it. I know I'm at my regular hospital and they informed me it's a short bowel, and yes, I get sepsis like people get the common cold. I never had a cold, by the way. But the comparison was made by doctors, to me. I think I'm beyond help. I guess I'll just keep praying for an answer somewhere. My doctors said only the people that per'd the bowel know how short the bowel is and I can't get answers from them as they don't have my records!!??

w30bob

Hi 1more,

Wow....what a nightmare. Sounds like you've been through the ringer. So Mayo perf'd your bowel, short-gutted you........and won't provide you with a surgical report? You need a good lawyer and should sue their ass off. I had a PICC line for almost a year before I weaned off. You're not beyond help......you're just in a bad place now. I assume your home infusion company has you on a plan with a dietician to wean you off TPN, right? Do you have Carol Reese Parish's book on managing Short Bowel Syndrome? It explains the hydration puzzle pretty good. I got your email, so I'll shout back on there. Hang in there!

Regards,

Bob