Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,926 members

Vegetarian diet

Posted by Irishileo, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:34 am

Hi ✋

Is anyone here a vegetarian or tried that diet as an ostomate? I'm trying to incorporate more of that into my diet & wondering how it works for you.

Reply by newyorktorque, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 am

Hi Irish.  I have been a Pescetarian long before my ileo.  So I include seafood along with a vegetarian diet.  You could say seafood is my meat.  I have been eating this way for over 30 yrs and will not change.  There are pros and cons and I think you need to consider your own circumstances.  I could benefit by eating meat for the protein and I have a hard time keeping the weight on post ileo. The cons...meat makes your output smell.  As a pescetarian my sh*t doesnt stink lol 

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering what made you consider a vegetarian diet (if you're willing to share)

Reply by Bill, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:01 am

Hello Irish.

I have been a vegetarian for as long as I can recall, so when I got my stoma (many years ago), my diet did not change. I have not come amiss with dietry things so far, but everyone is different in this regard, so I would be inclined to simply keep trying different foods until you find those that don't agree with you for some reason. The basic principle still remains with whatever you eat : -chew- chew and chew again, and if that doesn't work, then liquidise the food before you eat it. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Maried, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 am

I eat a lot less meat but cannot do total vegetarian because my stomach becomes super loud! I have to limit myself to 2 fruits or vegetables a day. The office I work in is very quiet and there is no way I can muffle all the noises... I sound like a whopper cushion!

Reply by Bellisima, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:49 pm

I have been vegan for almost seven years and have not had many issues..  I do take a B12 supplement daily because I don't eat any meat, honey, seafood or dairy products.  I did have a few blockages, in the past, from not cooking vegetables long enough-such as broccoli stems or cabbage-but have no issues eating them raw.  Perhaps I instinctly chew more thoroughly when I am consuming raw vegetables!?!  

Just a side note, off topic. I also tried eating steel cut oats and some more fibrous healthier cereal options, and those produced blockages as well.  

So, you may just have to try small portions, chewing the food well, to help determine what works best for you. I wish you good luck as you begin your journey to a healthier diet. Ultimately, I believe you will find you have more energy and simply feel so much better overall!

Reply by CincinnatiKid, on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Ever since I've had the radical ileostomy surgery, I can't handle spinach, green beans, any vegetable with a thick coat. Whenever I ate these veggies it gave me liquid diarrhea. I don't have a puree kind of blender. The doctors told me that I might not be able to digest fiber very well. It might be the fiber whether it's blended into a puree or not. That's been my experirence. But  I can eat tomatoes, potatoes, cole slaw, etc.

Reply by Irishileo, on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful respones. I decided to try a vegetarian diet because it's more healthy & because I don't really eat a lot of meat (red meat specifically) in general. I am lucky in that I have an ileostomy that generally behaves pretty well & haven't had much of a problem with food other than it just going right through. I guess it's just a matter of finding what works for me.

Reply by zanzi1, on Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 pm

HI, I had an ileostomy and total colectomy at 28 and am now 74. I Had stopped eating meat prior to this but when I travelled to Europe I got really sick and incorporated chilcken into my diet. Since then I've sporadically eaten fish and chicken just to keep my protein level up.That bein said, my diet is mostly vecgetarian for more than forty years. I can eat almost anything, chew, chew, chew. I find that eggs, bread, pasta. I eat most vegetables without a problem but try to stay away from really high fiber foods, like kale, uncooked cabbage. One of the clues to veggies is to cook them until soft, although, I've eaten raw vegetables with no problem. Just do it a little at a time to figure out what works for you. Last night I had a delicious home cooked meal of sauteed garlic, onion, green peppers with chick peas, added some salt and paprika and mixed it withwlbow macaroni and grated cheese. Quite yummy. Good luck with your decision. Just trial and error

ann

Reply by Ival, on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:50 pm

First, my experience is basically the same as Ann's.  I had my ileostomy at 38 and now I am 80.   For the 2nd time in my life, I am eating a vegetarian diet because of heart related issues.  Basically, no meat, no dairy, whole grain bread and pasta, and very low fat.  My protein comes primarily from beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, and seitan.  I am fortunate in that I can eat green salads.  If I'm going to eat an apple then I want to be hydrated.

You should be fine but we are all different.

Ival

Reply by sunasea, on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:42 am

I've been a vegetarian for 40 years, and love it. The truth is I don't know any difference before and after my ostomy nor would I let it change my diet or my life. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.