Non-gassy, non-sugary drinks?

Replies
Views
Baw

Before my ileostomy, my answer would have been Black Jack with a splash. Somehow, I have managed to avoid asking this question for 5 years, but now I would appreciate some help. Oh, I haven't had an alcoholic drink in several years.

Anyway, on a consistent basis, do you consume anything that doesn't cause gas, bloating, or a sugar-induced coma? I have been drinking OJ in the evenings but have decided that it contains too much sugar. Besides tea, water, and coffee, any suggestions?

Baw

Longroad78

For the drink to tickle the toes, Crown XR or XO with Coke Zero with a splash of lemon. It is guaranteed to run through fast. But if the question is what to drink that is lower on the sugar, water with a touch of lemon juice or a pack of electrolytes with water that is easier to absorb if you have an ileostomy. For nighttime, I get a powder mix that health food stores and most grocery stores with health sections that sell supplements called CALM, which contains magnesium and some have calcium in it also. Some are flavored. Be warned, it will cause a very good night's sleep (drooling on the pillow), which might be dangerous if you're worried about a blowout if you haven't got down the diet at night.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Baw

Thanks, long road. The CALM sounds interesting, so does the very good night's sleep.

w30bob

Hi Baw,

I mix up 3 quarts of homemade ORS each morning, that I drink for breakfast and then when I get home from work until the wee hours of the morning. I use quart plastic bottles and add 5 oz of cola (Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc), then 1/2 teaspoon salt, then fill bottle 3/4 full with seltzer, and then fill to top with diet cola or any diet version of what you used first. Mix well and enjoy! Alter the seltzer to diet soda ratio to get the sweetness level you prefer.....but don't change the salt (sodium) to cola (glucose) ratio. I find it tastes great once you get the sweetness dialed in......and it hydrates you!

Other than that I drink a pint of heavy whipping cream after breakfast and then super cold ice water when I first get home from work (and I need a break from carbonation)

Regards,

Bob

PS What exactly is "a good night's sleep"? Sounds familiar, but can't quite recall what that's about.....

lovely

I have heard that orange juice is good to bring your sugar level up if it drops low, which mine does from time to time. Does it not affect yours? I usually just stick with water and a little Pepsi at supper time. Best wishes and stay safe.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Baw. 

Thanks for this interesting question as my answer has a long story behind it. However, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

The short answer is, I drink tap water. which in our area is filtered for approximately 15 years through chalk, as we live on top of a massive artesian well.  I also grow a number of herbs which I occasionally brew for a change and little taste, but I actually prefer the taste of the pure water. I have tasted water from other areas around the country and around the world, but I do not think that I would be able to have the same liking for any water that is not to my taste. 

The longer answer involves explaining that I first started drinking water because any drinks containing caffeine (tea/coffe etc) used to make me shake in the manner of Parkinson's disease. Plus, sugary drinks and alcohol have also been off my menu for many years. 

What I found was that drinking seemed to be habit forming, so whatever it was I drank became a routine. With a bit of self-analysis, I came to the conclusion that I actually liked the water more than any of the other drinks on offer.

The moral/lesson (if there is one), would be to drink what you like drinking, and the only way to find that out is to try as many things as you can and take note of what you like and what is suitable for you and your health.

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi all, my routine is a couple of cups of coffee with half a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of lactose-free milk. Then, my first glass of water has a splash of lemon, which is for my kidney stone problem. With lunch, I have a small glass of Gatorade that I make from the powder that I mix up by the quart, but I put less than they recommend so it's not so sweet. For supper, I have a small glass of milk. But when the weather is cold, I might have a cup of green tea as well. My drink of choice is Captain and Coke, or if it's hot out, I might have a beer poured in a glass so there's not as much carbonation.

Baw

Ors?

Montgomerydeanna575

I'm confused. I drink Jack and I love margaritas, and I don't have any problems... In fact, I always wondered why alcohol never came right out. It's like my body absorbs it immediately. And I have an ileostomy going on 6 years now. And I love my sodas. I don't use diet stuff.

w30bob

ORS = Oral Rehydration Solution

encreed
Reply to Montgomerydeanna575

Yep, I also love to drink Jack and Margarita, and I don't have any problem. But I wondered and really think not to have alcohol. To keep the drink cool, I wonder if I might have a better choice than using those blank can koozies; so that I could carry it longer on a trip or cycling adventure.