Vegan diet and colostomy output: Need advice

Replies
Views
EAM

Hi, any other vegan colostomates out there? I switched to a vegan diet 3 months ago.

I notice my output is much more watery, have you had this experience? I have always used closed-end pouches,

but think I might have to switch to open-end drainable pouches soon as I am going through many closed-end a day.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Eric

xnine

Look at Veganostomy.ca for anything vegan and ostomy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

EAM

Thanks, will do!

AmyMichD

Hi

My understanding was if we have an ileostomy we are not supposed to eat a lot of veggies (fiber) because we can't digest them. Is this not true?

I would love to eat veggies, so if we can, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Amy Dawson

EAM

You're right, but I have a colostomy.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
bridgie98

Hey Eric!

I've eaten a vegan diet for about 4 years while having an ostomy, and I definitely remember having some changes in my output initially, but it is hard to say what that was caused by (better hydration, more fiber, less constipation from meat and dairy products). If the output is just more liquidy, it doesn't necessarily have to be cause for concern. I have also probably had more gas since switching to a plant-based diet, but I honestly think it is normal. I think the important thing is that you feel hydrated and don't have belly pain from diarrhea or gas. As for the type of pouch, I have never used the closed-end pouches because my output has always been pretty liquidy due to the medications I take. You could always call one of the supply companies and ask to sample a couple of the open-end bags just to see how it goes for a week or so.

Anyways, the plant-based diet has been really good for me, and I think it's a great thing to try, even for folks with ileostomies because there are PLENTY of ways to eat plants that don't lead to a blockage. Meat, dairy, and eggs are pretty hard on the GI system, but plants are great in whatever form you want to eat them...pasta, potatoes, steamed veggies...there's an abundance of options!

EAM

Hi,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! So far, other than the output consistency, things have been going really well having made the switch. I am trying out open-end bags, probably going to stay with Convatec.

Thanks again!

anitas123

Hi Eric, I have had a colostomy since 2015 and have been vegan since April 2019. My health and digestion have improved so much since I gave up all animal products. I mostly eat steamed veggies, rice, potatoes, oats, fruits, beans and many combinations of other whole foods. After watching many documentaries including "What The Health" and "Forks Over Knives" I made the decision to go whole food plant-based and have not been sorry ever. I firmly believe that I wouldn't have ended up with a colostomy had I been following this way of eating. Prior to changing my foods, I was getting a lot of pancaking and bag leaks. I now understand how meat stays in our intestines and causes issues that can result in infections and ruptured intestines. I had not been getting the fiber that my body needs for my entire life. I do eat mostly steamed veggies with my whole grains and try to eat lots of greens (steamed) every day. My output is usually neither liquid nor solid but as long as I stay hydrated, things are very good. Since I pay out of pocket for supplies, I do use drainable pouches and have never tried the closed ones. I know that I can't even try to change anyone else's way of eating but for me, going vegan has been a life changer. I am 68 and have had high blood pressure for many years but within 3 months of going vegan, my BP is now normal. I have to add that meds and I do not get along so I don't take meds. I hope that you continue to stay vegan as your health will thank you. YouTube has free videos and I watch as many of the ones on health that I can. There are a lot of medical doctors that I follow including Dr. Neil Barnard, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Michael Klaper, Dr. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Michael Greger, and the list goes on. Good luck to you, Eric, and it makes me happy to learn that there are other vegan ostomates out there. Thanks from Anita

EAM

Hi Anita,

I am glad to hear you are doing so well. So far, I am enjoying it, trying lots of recipes, and generally feeling healthier!! : )