Seeking advice for managing frequent leaks and blowouts with ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
eikoop99

I have had an ileostomy for just over 40 years. I really had no issues for a long time, other than a hernia about 20 years ago. The last few years, I have been having trouble with leaks, blowouts, etc. It has gotten much worse each year, and now I can rarely go even 24 hours without changing my pouch. My new normal seems to be twice a day or more. I know I have another hernia, which is part of the issue, and hope to see a doctor when COVID eases up a bit. Another issue is my stoma has shrunk, and the opening is now almost skin level, plus my skin has really become uneven around the stoma. I really don't know what to do. I have tried other appliances, but nothing seems to work any better than what I am using. My stoma sits very low on my right side. Has anyone been through a similar situation? What did you do? I've wondered if I need to have the stoma completely redone and start over. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maried

Do you use Eakin or Hollister seals? These help a lot in stopping leakage.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,229 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Try using Eakin seal to help even things out. And wearing an ostomy belt 24 hours a day helps me. You can find ostomy belts on Amazon and see different types.

Good luck. I will be praying for you.

Chris

lovely

Hi eikoop99, sorry you are having so much trouble. Have you talked to your supplier? They usually have a stoma nurse that can give some advice and send different samples. I hope you can get some help and there will probably be some suggestions from some other members. Good luck and stay safe.

Past Member

What kind of flange are you using? If your stoma is skin level and uneven, I would suggest a convex flange and a belt. If that works, you may be able to ease off on the belt (I used to wear one, but I don't anymore). Coloplast now makes a line of products specifically for hernias; you might want to call them and ask for some samples. But I would start with a convex flange. Good luck.

Laurie

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Morning glory

Hi, I have to agree with Padfoot on this. I was in the same situation a few years ago and had to change to a convex flange. It made all the difference. Good luck.

eikoop99

I occasionally use Eakin seals, but most of the time they are too thick when my stoma has shrunk back.

eikoop99

I currently use Activelife pouches with stomahesive. Will check on the Coloplast hernia products though, thanks!

MBT

Everyone has given great pouching ideas! I am interested...is your stoma mostly skin level or retracted?

Mark1070

All good advice above. I would add the following: Try a supplemental adhesive like Skin-Tac and/or Torbot [latex (if not allergic)] bonding cement. You might also want to tape around the edges of the flange with Leukotape. Check to make sure the peristomal skin is not weeping, as can be the case with yeast infections or other skin issues. Check for creases in the skin when you sit as these can pull the adhesive away from the skin. It also sounds like you'll need a WOCN to measure your stoma again to get a better fit as you may have effluent pancaking under the flange. Hope these help!

Xerxes

You probably know this, but it is very important to remove any residual adhesive when changing the flange. Use UniSolve to remove the adhesive and make sure to wipe it dry. Then apply skin prep and karaya powder around the stoma before placing on the new flange.

Xerxes

Past Member

I found Eakin Seal a bit heavy and thick. I've used the much thinner Sure Seal Ring and found it to be good insurance against blowouts. I find I can use a belt much less, and wear days are extended.

Daanders

I have had irritation. Apparently, I have had a reaction to eakon, changed to silicone seals.

EAM

Hi, I just requested some of the silicone seal rings to try out. Do you find they are helpful? How many days do you get with one?

Thanks.

Eric.

Daanders

I just started for the first time 3 days. Second time one day

EAM

Thanks for the info!

eikoop99

The opening is at skin level.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi eikoop99...I agree convex flange and get in touch with an ostomy nurse and get some samples of rings, flanges, etc....try a 1-piece convex with ring and belt.....

I have not had success with any Hollister products but have great success with Coloplast. I wear a 1-piece drainable barrier ring and now get 7 days wear.....

Hope you find your solution, hun.

Tracy