Bellybutton Removal for Stoma Placement?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the experiences and advice of individuals who have undergone bellybutton removal for stoma placement.
Mggy34

So weird question...my stoma is in a less than ideal spot. My belly button gets in the way of the barrier. I have to cut the barrier and then tape it down with another kind of tape. Every bag change is like an arts and crafts project. My belly button stays infected and the skin cracks and bleeds.

I've asked my surgeon if he would excise my belly button so that I won't have to deal with this issue anymore. Anybody ever heard of this??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Mggy34,

Well.....yes and no. It's called umbilicoplasty, but it's usually done as plastic surgery for appearance.....which involves removing the top skin part of the navel, not actually removing the whole thing. You can't remove the umbilical tract....as far as I know.......but I'm speaking out of my rear facing belly button now. I'd be curious to see what the surgeon says.........so do tell.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Sorry, you are having such a problem. I have not heard of that. I hope you can get some help. Please keep us informed; it could help others. Best wishes and stay safe.

Bill

It's posts like this which make this site so interesting. I am looking forward to reading about the definitive answers to your questions.

Best wishes

Bill

Mggy34

I have an appointment on Monday. I'll let y'all know what he says!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I would think it's easier to remove a belly button than to resite your stoma.

I haven't got a belly button. I lost it on my 1st surgery 30 surgeries ago! Tbh, I don't know if the surgeon removed it or if having an MRSA infection killed it off and made it vanish.

dadnabbit

Hi Mggy34

Lost mine during my first surgery. As far as the infected, cracked skin surrounding your belly button, I use a product called Anacept by Anacapa Technologies. It is a clear, greaseless wound gel, and I use it whenever I have a skin irritation around the stoma, and also wherever I have an open wound. It can be purchased directly from the company online. I use it sparingly and let it absorb as it only takes a little bit. If I use it around the stoma, I make sure after absorption to dry the area off with a gauze pad before applying my skin barrier wipe. Hope you find a solution.

Peace

Dadnabbit

Puppyluv56

When I had my surgery, ostomy, tumor removal, Barbie butt, etc., they moved my belly button over to the right of center so it does not get in the way of my appliance! I accused my plastic surgeon of being drunk! Glad he did me that favor though! Being in the center would have caused me a lot of issues!
Good luck. You just should not have to deal with a belly button!!
Puppyluv

HenryM

My reaction is to wonder why the surgeon located the stoma in that difficult spot to begin with.  When I had to have my stoma re-located back in 2011, I told the surgeon that I wanted the new one lower on my belly and he invited me to put an X where I wanted it, which I did.  He put it right there.  Doctors have too little, if any, practical knowledge re living with a stoma.  You might consult an ostomy nurse to see if she would have any suggestions about ostomy products that could help your situation.  Good luck.     Henry M

Mggy34

I agree that they don't have a lot of experience about life with a stoma. Both of my surgeries were emergency situations so I wasn't with it enough to pick a spot. And I lost a lot of weight prior to this mess and then even more after I got sick, so I have a lot of loose skin in my abdominal area. My ostomy nurse says I just

have a complicated case! Thank you for your input! 

Mggy34

Surgery is set for next Thursday. The doc agreed that the bellybutton was a problem. Just hoping to get the skin in better shape beforehand to avoid complications. I'm gonna try that antibiotic gel someone suggested.

I hope this is the miracle fix I think it's going to be!

Thank all of you for your suggestions and responses... I appreciate it!!

lovely

Hi, Mggy34. Thanks for letting us know. We will be thinking about you and hope everything goes well for you. Please keep us updated as you feel like it. Best wishes and stay safe.

Mggy34

My bellybutton has left the building! The barrier is already adhering better even with the wound. Doc just put a bunch of Dermabond glue over it to keep out any bad stuff. It doesn't look that pretty but it feels so much better!!!

lovely

Hi Mggy34, good to hear everything went well for you. Hope everything heals well for you. Thanks for the update. Best wishes and stay safe.

Bill

Hello Mggy34.

Thank you so much for updating us on your surgery and I am pleased that it has gone so well for you. It feels  reassuring to hear about these 'interesting' cases, especially when they turn out well.

I wish you all the best for the future

Bill

Puppyluv56

That is great news! So happy it worked out for you!
Funny how a belly button can cause so much trouble! Lol

I am happy with mine being off center!

Pup