Snorkeling in Lake Superior: Bag-free swimming possible?

Replies
Views
Lojeke11

I am planning to go snorkeling in Lake Superior, can I swim without a bag on?

xnine

Isn't Lake Superior polluted enough already?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

It wouldn't harm you, but I wouldn't advise going in without a bag on. Just my view, not saying I'm right. It's your life choice.... Have you looked at stoma caps? Very small bags, they won't hold much. They're more for people with colostomies who irrigate.

Past Member

Hilarious, xnine!

bowsprit

Not a good idea with the polluted waters everywhere, other dangers as well. What if it comes in contact with a jellyfish! Keep it covered and have a lot of fun.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
aprangn

Apply waterproof taping and/or waterproofing over the barrier. It should last a while and also take a spare change of everything. Don't risk any infection!

lovely

Why would you want to go without a bag? If you think it would be in the way, there are a lot of things you can use. You might also come in contact with something that would not be good for you. Best wishes and stay safe.

kmedup

My answer would be, "Why would you not?"

Mark1070

If there are jellyfish, you'll need a dive skin, gloves, and a hood, anyway, so the pouch will be necessary.  

Longroad78

Best way to think of it is if you are not willing to drink it, then it would be a bad idea. Your stoma, which is your large or small intestine depending on what your situation is, is full of blood and can take in dangerous bacteria and viruses. Without your stomach acid killing things directly, that can go straight into your bloodstream. The best thing is a small stoma cap or small bag. I do not know if it is worth the risk.

ron in mich

Hi all, I swim in the big lake (Superior), so please don't go without a bag on.

badj

As someone who lived near Superior for 10 years.. I wouldn't. In the summer there can be a lot of bacteria, viruses, and other single-celled nasties in the lake. I know it's a "one way" thing but I still wouldn't risk it. The town where I lived (mqt) discharges their treated wastewater into the lake. If it's warm, there can be a lot of gross bacteria and algae. Take care and have fun.. be safe. Superior is very dangerous.

Also, FYI y'all, there are no jellyfish in freshwater lakes. You're safe there :,D

Past Member

No sharks either, but watch out for muskie and lamprey eels! And, of course, bacteria, which exist naturally everywhere. A good reason why no ostomate should ever swim without an ostomy bag in any body of water other than their own (clean) bathtub.

Laurie

bowsprit

There are thousands of them in there. Freshwater jellyfish, but if you mean they are harmless then you are right. They do have stinging cells but they are so small that they don't usually hurt vertebrates. They say a few people have reported redness or itching, but most people do not feel them at all. It is reported that every Canadian province has them except Alberta and Saskatchewan, but that won't keep me from swimming in Lake Superior the next time I am there!

Past Member

Bowsprit is right, of course. There are jellyfish in freshwater lakes; they are just very small - 1 inch across. I have never actually seen one, but I hear they do exist. And they don't hurt. But no sharks.

Laurie

Susanne

I go swimming lots and just put a big waterproof bandaid over my stoma, but I also irrigate so nothing will come out. You know your body best so you know when you swim and when you have your usual output.

BruceFan

I just can't imagine why you would want to do that. You do have to get in and out of the water... could be tricky.

Besides, I believe the lake will be quite cold and you may want to wear a wetsuit.

Interested to hear others weigh in on this one.

Superme

I wouldn't recommend snorkeling without a bag, nor would I snorkel in that lake. It would be good to know what type of appliance you have. If you use a Convatec, Coloplast, or Hollister appliance and if you must snorkel there, then wear a bag and apply 3M waterproof tape over the gasket tape. Also, there is a company called Stealthbelt that offers products to protect bags in various activities, as well as concealing them. Good luck! Michael

Donavon

Well, where I live, it would attract sharks!

Riva

In the ocean and pool almost daily. Suggest you look into a simple wrap from Ostomy Secrets. Remember to stay hydrated. Stay safe and smart. Enjoy.

BITDIFF

Just home from holiday up in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. Wish I did go, worried more of somewhere to do bag after swim. If with family and friends, go for it. Empty bag and new one ready when get out, been swimming lots of times. I would say go for it.

Vikingthor

A new form of skinny dipping.

TXSteve

I wouldn't want to expose my stoma and the skin around it to the various short-term negative risks in a polluted lake. A seemingly minor skin problem has the potential to cause longer-term issues under your apparatus. But I tend to err on the overly cautious side with regards to my stoma.

Tak for alt

Coming from someone in the Lake Superior area, since the lake is so clear and unpolluted, you probably could if you really want to. But it is very cold water and I would still be worried about bacteria, etc. that is in every body of water. I don't think I personally would want to.

Silveradokid

Can you swim without a bag on? Yes. Should you swim without a bag on? No...

I found the following in an online article re. sharks:

A bull shark? This species isn't as well known as the famous great white in Jaws, but it has a unique trick—its kidneys can recycle salt vital to the animal's cells. Normally, a freshwater dip would dilute the salt in a shark's body, causing its cells to rupture and kill it. Recycling the salt its body already contains allows bull sharks to adapt to a freshwater environment. Bull sharks are one of a very few of the 375 species of sharks with this physiological-altering ability, and they do it better than any other.

"Bull sharks couldn't really deal with the winter temperatures in the Great Lakes, or the scarcity of food, but it's possible that if one swam in, it could live for a while," said Amber Peters, an assistant professor specializing in marine ecology in Michigan State's Department of Fisheries and Wildlife."

Silveradokid

Immarsh

Hi "L" and others...

This is Marsha. I have an ileostomy, so with it continuously working, I'd never consider going without a wafer and pouch. For those who have colostomies, and or irrigate/ I know the thought of going without a pouch is intriguing. But the stoma is "mucosal" tissue, quite different from skin, and although it can withstand salt water, fresh water, shower/bath and pool water, it has the same properties as inside the mouth, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to expose your mouth and gums to direct contact with lake/or ocean water for extended periods of time... I've had my ileostomy for over 55 years, and have swam and snorkeled, all over the world, Mediterranean, Australia, Great Barrier Reef, the Caribbean..... and more. Never would I even think of not wearing a pouch. It's just "part of me", even if I need to replace it after an excursion... Protect yourself, your stoma, but do enjoy snorkeling, wherever you are doing it.. It's great fun.. Marsha

bowsprit

Well done, Marsha. Your long experience and strenuous activities are proof that these things are not a bar to an active life. Comasol tissue? If it is the same as what's in the mouth, then why are we told not to get shampoo on the stoma while we can use strong gargling mouthwash to keep the mouth clean.  

bowsprit

Sorry. Mucosal tissue, that is what Marsha said.