Concerns about Stool Change and Abdominal Pressure

Replies
Views
Shadowchick27

I have an ostomy stoma that isn't level with the skin, about the size of a quarter. The opening itself is smaller than the size of an unsharpened pencil. All I can get to come out is muddy-looking water, after using mag citrate. What is concerning me is that there is major pressure in my whole abdomen and behind the ostomy stoma, plus reduced appetite. Any ideas or suggestions?

TerryLT

Hi Shadow, this to me sounds like a blockage. How long has it been since you passed normal stool? Have you been eating? How much liquid has been coming out? You should probably not eat anything more until you resolve this. It may mean a trip to the ER but you don't want to mess around with a blockage. Please let us know how things work out for you.

All the best,

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi again, I should add, you probably shouldn't take any more laxatives either, as if it is a blockage, that can just make it worse.

T.

Shadowchick27

It's hurting in my back and I can feel pressure and hear gurgling, but no gas, just liquid since yesterday late afternoon. Also, nauseous, dizzy, and tired.

TerryLT

I really think you should get to the ER. I'm no doctor or nurse, but I have had several experiences of blockages myself. Everything you have said sounds like this is what's happening. I would recommend you have someone drive you if possible. I actually lost consciousness a couple of times during one of my blockages, when the pain got really bad. Better to not take the chance. Please let me know how you make out. Good luck!

Terry

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi Shadow,

Del is right, go. I had a blockage two weeks ago. I got an awful stomach ache, sicker than a dog throwing up. It started coming out, but I was so sick I had to go to the ER. Take care... Mtnman

w30bob

Hi Shadow,

I'm hoping by the time you read this that things are okay with you. You've waited probably a bit beyond the point in which I'd head up to the ER. I'd be curious to hear exactly what they do for a blockage. Before my ostomy, I used to get really bad blockages. I was one of those stupid people who always refused to go to the ER, no matter how bad the pain got... and it got bad. I always managed to talk myself out of going... saying it will probably let go on the way... or it'll free up any minute now. It wasn't until my Gastro explained how pain worked that I started to take it seriously. He said that even if I was able to take the full pain a blockage could produce, which he said could be way worse than labor (maybe you ladies on here can confirm or deny), he said at some point your body would shut down to protect itself... meaning I'd lose consciousness. That scared the crap out of me, pardon the pun... (but it does seem to fit perfectly here), meaning as I'm driving up to the ER, or while home alone. Despite me being a stubborn ass at times... there's no way I'd ever want to cause a car accident because I waited too long and blacked out while driving to the ER, so after swigging some Phospo-Soda I'd give it an hour or so tops... and then head on up to the ER. There they'd stick an IV in and give me fluids... but I don't know what they do these days. It's really not worth taking the chance of either blacking out... or rupturing your bowels... because either of those can have some very serious consequences. Get yer arse up there! And when you get back let us know you're okay!

Regards,

Bob

kmedup

Hi Shadow,

I agree with the others - a blockage is not fun and wouldn't it just be better to find out sooner rather than later.    

Take complete care of yourself. Let us know what happens as there are many of us that have gone through the best of times (when the flange stays on for over a week) and the worst of times (countless ER visits and blow-outs) with ostomy issues. Just K

ron in mich

Hi Shadow, I've had my ileo for a long time and before I had resection surgery 2 1/2 years ago, my stoma was the size of a soda straw and I had blockages, throwing up, blacking out, and so on. Then my wife would drive me to the emergency room and they would pump me full of fluids and muscle relaxers, and in 4-5 hours, they would send me home. Good luck.

w30bob

Ah... thanks Ron... I forgot to mention the throwing up thing that comes in between the excruciating waves of pain and blacking out. That, I was told, was the last indication you'd get that you're in real trouble before the lights go out. It always felt better to puke... but was just a temporary relief to something worse. And the funny thing is... each time I went through this crap I'd tell myself... never again. But there I'd be next time refusing to go to the ER again, knowing full well I promised myself this time would be different. As Gump said... "stubborn is as stubborn does"... or was that "stupid"... well, seems to fit either way!

Shadow... how you doing?

Regards,

Bob

TerryLT

Hi Ron,   For interest sake, blockages are treated in different ways depending on where they are located.   Mine were always directly behind my stoma, so what they did was insert a tube or catheter right into the stoma.   It usually started to drain pretty quickly.   I always wondered why that worked and the only thing I could come up with is that it's the same principle as siphoning gas.   I should ask my doctor sometime.    

Cheers,

Terry

Lily17

Anyone hear from Shadowchick? Hope she's all right...

Lily17

TerryLT

Hi Lily, I actually sent her a PM a while ago to check in, waiting to hear back from her.

Terry

Lily17

Thank you, Terry.

Lily17