Tips for removing stubborn stoma residue?

Replies
Views
Catfan

When I change my bagging system, I have difficulty getting some thick and dried up poo off my skin. It's typically close to the stoma. I wipe and wipe and scrub and scrape. Not fun. It makes the irritation and discomfort worse. How do you mates clean around your stoma? The wet stuff wipes off fairly easily but the dried-up thick gunk just does not want to come off. Any tips, products, etc. would be appreciated.

Daanders

I use Cavilon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hi Catfan,

I have never had any thick poo stick to my skin around the stoma. Or at least poo that does not come off easily with TP.

Are you having a lot of pancaking? Maybe a little baby oil inside the pouch to encourage the poo to not stay around the stoma but move to the bottom of the pouch.
Do you use a drainable pouch and rinse it? That helps remove any poo in the pouch and around the stoma so it does not stick there. If this is done every time you empty the pouch, it could cure that issue.

Puppyluv

mamatembo

I have found Safe n Simple peri-stoma cleanser adhesive remover to work extremely well (50 moist wipes per package). Available on Amazon.

Past Member

Soap and water should do the trick, followed by a Brava barrier wipe before you apply your flange. I have seen many posts advising against using soap and water because it may prevent the appliance from sticking properly. I have found, after five years, that the Brava barrier wipe removes any soap residue, and the flange sticks just fine.

Laurie

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Just a wipe with water always cleans it off me, and when I have a bagless shower, the water washes it clean.

Bill

Hello Catfan.

I use a device that was given to me at the very beginning by one of the distributers of equipment, Basically it is a small container for water (it looks like a little clear-plastic tub that I get my prawns in).

I just half fill it with warm water and put it over the stoma and surround with a little pressure so that it doesn't leak . I then shake it for a few minutes and all the hardened /stuck-on poo softens and falls off. I then carefully remove the tub and wipe the rest off with a bit of tissue. This works every morning for me.

Best wishes

Bill

HeyHey

To remove, try Convatec - SensiCare - Sting Free Adhesive Releaser Spray and wipes. I use the spray first and then the wipes. Also, try warm water compresses to make it soft, so you don't have to wipe as hard.

You might want to change the system a day earlier to prevent so much accumulating around the stoma.

Good luck.

w30bob

Hi Catfan,

My experience with dried hard poop is not from humans, but from animals. The way that's dealt with is by mixing up a solution of water, a pinch of any non-bleach dish soap, and some white vinegar. Now if your skin is broken under the poo, that vinegar is going to sting.........so I'd only advise using it if you're pretty sure your skin is intact. Now, I've run across some hard dried poop that was impervious to everything, save pressure washing......so I know what you're talking about. It sort of has to be seen to be believed, but that stuff would NOT come off no matter what.....so no guarantees on this suggestion. Since it's on your skin, it might help if you could "roll" the area between your fingers.....which would cause cracks in the surface and quicken the dissolving action. Otherwise, it's like trying to pierce body armor with water from a garden hose. Good luck!

Regards,

Bob

HeyHey

I have another idea. Soak some cotton in aloe vera and let it sink in. I've been using Aubrey brand, it's organic. Then take a spray bottle and spray with water. Catch the drips with a paper towel under the stoma, tucked into your undies.

lovely

I just use water on several folds of TP. If that does not work for you, try a little bit of baby oil. It should soften it up. Best wishes and stay safe.

Catfan

I definitely am struggling with pancaking, even with oil in the pouch--I've used both baby oil and vegetable oil. I have never rinsed the bag. Won't the water get the adhesive wet if I get it near the stoma? 

Puppyluv56

When I wore a drainable pouch, I kept a bottle of water in the cabinet in front of my toilet. I would open the bottom of the pouch and lift it up to pour about a third of the water into the pouch. Just holding the bottom of the pouch up and closed, I would raise it up to let the water move to the top of the pouch and stoma. Swishing around and then release the bottom into the toilet. Wipe the end of the pouch and repeat. I do it three times to finish the bottle. By then, you should not have any poo coming out. It did not change the life of my barrier or pouch. I use a Convatec two-piece system. Yeah, water would get under the barrier just around the stoma but does not compromise the adhesive on the barrier or the cloth-like outer barrier. Poo there probably does more damage to it due to the acidity.  This also cleans your pouch up so you don't feel dirty and if you wear  a two-piece, that pouch can last for 10 days. Mine did.

Hope this  helps.  
Puppyluv

iMacG5

So Catfan, I use the same kind of appliance as Puppyluv and clean with warm water the same as she does.  I thought any unprotected skin would get damaged if any poo got on it.  We sometimes question how much space there should be between the stoma and the hole in the baseplate (flange, baseplate).  My answer would always be "zero" if it's unprotected.  We might use a liquid barrier film, stomahesive paste or something else but, IMHO, bare skin will get damaged.

Please keep us posted.

Mike

lovely

Puppyluv, that is exactly how I empty my pouch. I have several small movements a day instead of just one a day. Most of the time my output is very soft to pudding-like, so I have to empty several times a day. Like you said, it does not affect the wafer so it does not let the poo have time to dry out and get hard. I also keep a little baby oil and a little air in the bag to help it slide down in the bag. Even then, it does not always want to slide down and I have to push it down with my fingers on the outside of the bag. Best wishes and stay safe.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Catfan....are you using a barrier ring? If not, maybe consider it as it goes on first, closest to the stoma. Then add the appliance. The barrier will protect that area and anything sticking or leaking....as well as baby oil in the bag and rinsing. If you are pancaking a lot, leave some air in your bag as well. This forces everything towards the bottom....